318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 953,893 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,654 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
318racer

Default making my supersprint louder.

Is there anyway to make my supersprint exhaust louder? i feel its too soft and want it louder. Its an evo 2- the single rectangular shaped one- full cat.
318racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
drkblu318ti

remove the cat?

Tribute to:
97 318ti Montreal Blue R.I.P
96 318ti Schwartz II
drkblu318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
AutoM3otives

^
+1.
Straight pipe.

If you like the tips, chop those off and weld them onto a tiny magnaflow and sell your supersprint.
I'm sure there are tons of ppl here that want a supersprint...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
318iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkblu318ti View Post
remove the cat?
yep...

de cat it... it will give it a nice rasp
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
bullmand

If you need to keep the cat for emissions reasons you could try removing the resonator that's upstream of the muffler. That would mean some cutting and welding, but any muffler shop should be able to handle it.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
pdxmotorhead

Swap the cat for a random technology unit, its an all metal matrix cat flows very free, do the resonator at the same time and you'll get more snarl out o the pipe.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
mohaughn

pdx- Are those race cats a good buy? I've come across those several times while looking for something to do a cat delete pipe and still have a resonator of some sort to keep the noise down. Do you happen to know that the stock pipe size is going into the stock cat? I'd imagine I could pay less than 50$ to have the OE cat cut out and one of those welded in..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
318iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
pdx- Are those race cats a good buy? I've come across those several times while looking for something to do a cat delete pipe and still have a resonator of some sort to keep the noise down. Do you happen to know that the stock pipe size is going into the stock cat? I'd imagine I could pay less than 50$ to have the OE cat cut out and one of those welded in..
if your talking about sport cats then its pointless and their expensive... especially as your car will only be used for autocross (reading your other thread)... i think your better off having an exhaust place cut out the cat and weld in a straight pipe instead....
Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
bullmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318iS View Post
if your talking about sport cats then its pointless and their expensive... especially as your car will only be used for autocross (reading your other thread)... i think your better off having an exhaust place cut out the cat and weld in a straight pipe instead....
Many of us here in the States live in places where our cars have to keep the emissions equipment in place in order to legally register the vehicle. In fact, it's a violation of Federal law to remove a catalytic converter from an on-road vehicle. There are different rules for race or show cars, but if he needs to drive it on the street it's supposed to have a cat.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
if you're talking about sport cats then it's pointless and they're expensive... especially as your car will only be used for autocross (reading your other thread)... i think you're better off having an exhaust place cut out the cat and weld in a straight pipe instead....
Fixed.

I'm really sorry... I just couldn't help myself. LOL If you want... when I eventually visit Ireland, I'll let you try to drown me in a bucket of Guinness as punishment for my being pedantic. LOL

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
mohaughn

Quote:

I was specifically talking about the random technology racing cats. Most of the places that do auto-x in my area require exhaust and cats on the cars. They also have noise limits. Not to mention having to drive the car to and from events I have to make sure the car is still street legal. We don't have emissions testing where I live in Florida so I don't have to pass an exhaust test, but if a cop looks under the car or pulls me for a noise violation that would be a somewhat expensive ticket that can be easily avoided.

I want the extra flow of removing the cat, but I don't want all the extra noise.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
318iS

Quote:
I was specifically talking about the random technology racing cats. Most of the places that do auto-x in my area require exhaust and cats on the cars. They also have noise limits. Not to mention having to drive the car to and from events I have to make sure the car is still street legal. We don't have emissions testing where I live in Florida so I don't have to pass an exhaust test, but if a cop looks under the car or pulls me for a noise violation that would be a somewhat expensive ticket that can be easily avoided.
wow for a country that is the worlds worst air polluter... there are some stupid laws..... i bet one space shuttle launch is worse than every car in america being decatted

im shocked that auto-x has noise limits and requires a cat... why ? ? ? its a motorsport competiiton ? right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash

Fixed.

I'm really sorry... I just couldn't help myself. LOL If you want... when I eventually visit Ireland, I'll let you try to drown me in a bucket of Guinness as punishment for my being pedantic. LOL

wow how relavant only jokin mate

im sure everyone understood what i meant....

anyway im not a guiness drinker... i'd rather drown you in a bucket of rum... preferably bacardi....
Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
mohaughn

Quote:
im shocked that auto-x has noise limits and requires a cat... why ? ? ? its a motorsport competiiton ? right ?
Autocross is intended for stree legal cars to have a place to compete. Most of the time they only require a muffler in the more modified classes, but almost all locations have a noise limit. The noise limit has to do with where the event is being held. If their are houses nearby they don't want to upset those people. Also applies for business, airports, churches, etc... Most autocrosses are on Sunday morning. The people sitting at church don't want to hear roaring exhausts all morning.

Most places have a limit somwhere around 98db, but I have heard of some race tracks that have limits of 89 to 92db.

But none of the really matters because if a cop pulls you over and you don't have the proper emissions equipment on the car, you get a ticket, and have to put a cat back on, and then have the car re-inspected to make sure that you put one back on.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Autocross is intended for stree legal cars to have a place to compete. Most of the time they only require a muffler in the more modified classes, but almost all locations have a noise limit. The noise limit has to do with where the event is being held. If their are houses nearby they don't want to upset those people. Also applies for business, airports, churches, etc... Most autocrosses are on Sunday morning. The people sitting at church don't want to hear roaring exhausts all morning.

Most places have a limit somwhere around 98db, but I have heard of some race tracks that have limits of 89 to 92db.

But none of the really matters because if a cop pulls you over and you don't have the proper emissions equipment on the car, you get a ticket, and have to put a cat back on, and then have the car re-inspected to make sure that you put one back on.
In the rules say this
"Emission control devices may be modified or removed."

That applies to street prepared classes and higher. It is also vauge in the wording of loud the exhaust can be and basically leaves it up to the local area where you are. If the OP intends to compete in SP with a ti that is mostly stock expect to come in last place everytime.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #15
mohaughn

I guess I should have said that in my area all of the venues have noise limits and require a muffler.