318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,354 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
octanerush

Default noob question suspension

does anyone know if lowering springs for a normal 318 will fit in a Ti? or if any modifications would be needed.

thanx

mike
octanerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Rear suspension on the ti is the same as E30 rear suspension. It is not the same as E36 sedans/coupes. Front springs should be interchangeable but rears are not. Best to go with a ti specific spring set.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I think Bluebimma installed coupe/sedan rear springs on his Ti and they fit fine. The shocks definitely won't fit, but the springs may work. I know for a fact that z3 springs work as I'm currently running them on mine. It's one of those things that's just trial and error. If you have a good lead on a cheap set of e36 springs, give them a shot, otherwise just keep looking for a set of Ti springs. You might try the for sale section on this site as I seem to recall someone selling a set. I'd recommend talking to Bluebimma.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
octanerush

i found a guy selling a set of brand new apex lowering springs for $80 for fronts and rears.

so i think i should just grab it and try. worst case scenario i would have to find a set of rear e30 springs
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

e30 springs would be less likely to fit and the spring rates would be totally different. Is there a reason why you don't just go for 318ti springs? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying something different as long as it's function is better than stock. But just throwing random parts on your car without knowing the effects will likely cause problems later down the road. If it doesn't decrease performance, it'll surely decrease the value.

Do you even know what the stock Ti spring rates are? I don't. But I will say that if you throw something in there that's too stiff or too soft, too short or too tall, you're gonna mess something up and possibly wreck your car. What happens if you hit a bump at high speed and the spring falls out because it's too short? Let's see, that corner of the car bottoms out on the tire and causes you to spin out and flip your car into a ditch! That wouldn't be so cool now would it.

I may have seemed a little optimistic in my first post. The only reason I said regular e36 springs might work is because I seem to recall bluebimma using them on his Ti. The Z3 spring recommendation was based on my own personal experience, but if you want the best performance, I'd stick with 318ti springs and be safe.

And in case you're wondering, I'm using 1.9L Z3 H&R race springs in the rear because they sit about half an inch lower than 318ti H&R race springs. I'm using M3 H&R race springs in the front because I have an M3 engine and they have a stiffer rate than H&R race springs for 4cyl e36's.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

a suspension set for a Z3 will fit, springs and shocks, there was a member on here with a Z3 who put a coilover set made for a ti on his Z3 and they fit fine, I'm just saying they will physically fit, I'm not sure if the spring rates are correct for our cars
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
octanerush

okay so i picked up 2 sets of brand new apex springs last nite $180 for both, for me n my brother since we both got Ti's one after the other. brought them to a buddy at Bimmersport (one of the popular bmw shops around here) and he says it fits with no problem. gonna do an install this weekend.
thanx for your help guys. i'll take some pix when i get a chance
Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanerush View Post
okay so i picked up 2 sets of brand new apex springs last nite $180 for both, for me n my brother since we both got Ti's one after the other. brought them to a buddy at Bimmersport (one of the popular bmw shops around here) and he says it fits with no problem. gonna do an install this weekend.
thanx for your help guys. i'll take some pix when i get a chance
If Coupe or Sedan Springs fit, it doesn't mean that they'll work correctly...
Remember that front springs have to be rated for the weight of a small engine, while the rear of the Ti is lighter than a coupe or sedan and heavier than a Z3. You might end up dropping the front and the rear stays the same or only lowers half of what it is supposed to (if you get springs from a Coupe/Sedan). I know from the member that installed Ti suspension on his Z3, that his rear end ended up not lowering as much since the Z3 rear end is lighter than ours...
Just Food for Thought...
BavAuto has a sale on their Sport Srings for $199.95 with FREE ground shipping, I ordered mine last week and I'm getting them tomorrow!
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
jordanmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
What happens if you hit a bump at high speed and the spring falls out because it's too short? Let's see, that corner of the car bottoms out on the tire and causes you to spin out and flip your car into a ditch! That wouldn't be so cool now would it.
that would be very uncool
jordanmc is offline   Reply With Quote