318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 956,254 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,691 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
JakeNotCliff

Lightbulb M-tech Body Kit Details

As the chance to purchase a 318ti draws ever nearer I'm interested in getting an M-tech body kit for the one I buy, cause there's a pretty good chance it won't have one. Ti's with them run almost $1000 more than those without, I think just cause of perceived value. So! What are all the parts that come with an official kit? How much does it cost? Can I get a pretty complete kit from a non-dealer/non-manufacturer? Andddd, are they that difficult/not a good idea to install yourself? My scheme is buy it cheap, build it up yourself And to clarify: I'm not looking to make the car a sport model, I just want the few M3 exterior components that spruce everything up a bit.
JakeNotCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Bad scheme. By the time you locate and purchase all of the parts and have them painted and installed, you'll end up spending the same amount if not more and your car still won't have sport seats, suspension and wheels. Keep looking for a sport if you want a sport. It also helps if you're willing to travel to pick one up.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
lkwd318ti

Yeah, just wait it out until a sport package pops up.
If you were to get a base ti and then put sport parts on it...
you'll need the...
Front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper, side moldings, wheels (if you feel like you really need to...), the whole interior, and suspension bits.
Keep this in mind...
If you're going to get the front and rear bumpers (OEM) from the dealer, you're going to be spending more than $1000 already.

-Randy
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Bad scheme. By the time you locate and purchase all of the parts and have them painted and installed, you'll end up spending the same amount if not more and your car still won't have sport seats, suspension and wheels. Keep looking for a sport if you want a sport. It also helps if you're willing to travel to pick one up.
+1000000

way cheaper to buy it that way. even aftermarket m-tech parts new aren't cheap. getting all the pieces used that you'd need would likely still cost the same and getting it in the same shade as the paint already on the car (factor in sun fade, etc) is unlikely.

even getting a sport, there may well be m-tech pieces you'd want to get (m3 mirrors and side skirts for eg). if you're lucky, you'll find a sport where someone has already done one of those (most likely mirrors).

take your time and keep looking.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
JakeNotCliff

Oh I'm not looking for a solid sport, I just wanna tack the bumpers on to whatever I end up getting... kinda ricer-like mntality, but I'll live. Basically I'm looking for front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and I guess anything else that is necessary for those to look right. I found the "how to install m-tech front bumper" in the knowledge base, but I'm still lost on the back one. I can't imagine skirts are too difficult though. Seats and sway bars and all that I can live without. Hence body kit.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
lkwd318ti

Good luck finding a rear bumper, from what I've seen, the only ones that are for sale are usually from wrecked cars, or brand new from the dealer.
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

perhaps you can sculpt some from plywood. those would be way cheaper, lol

the factory sports came with m-tech front and rear bumpers, and door moldings. if you're lucky enough to find all those used, in decent condition and use rattle cans of paint matched to your body color code, i guess you could get away for around $4-500. you'd likely have to wait awhile to find deals on them. rear bumper is ti specific and so there are less donors. there are ebayers that sell m3 style mirrors for pretty reasonable prices and you could rattle can those too.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
JakeNotCliff

Hah yeah, I'm avoiding my local dealer for parts at all costs. I'm not as set on the rear bumper as the front, but maybe I can luck out at a local junk yard. Seeing as I only know of two (running) ti's in my state, I somehow doubt the odds are in my favor. I found some store on ebay selling an M3 bumper + side skirts for just about $120, need paint. This sounds too good to be true, are any flags going up for you guys? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...sid=p1638.m146
Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
JakeNotCliff

Ah, it looks to me like those things are made out of plastic just about a milimeter thick. That could be a problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
cooljess76

yuck fiberglass, and $120 + $145s/h = too much for something that won't last. If it snows or ices up where you live, the openings will form ice and as it expands you could kiss that thing goodbye.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

what the hell is "FRP"?

i also wonder how one mounts up such pieces when the bolts are behind the trim on the stock bumper (from what i recall) and are molded into this bumper. note that shipping is $145 so you're now up to $265 and still need paint.

i also love this type of bs:
Quote:
-Feedback will be left after feedback is received
-All positive feedback left will receive positive feedback
-All neutral feedback left will receive neutral feedback
-All negative feedback left will receive negative feedback
so ... if you win, pay right away, then they don't ship the product for 2 months, you have to fight with them, they finally ship it and the product is complete crap such that you give them negative feedback ... they give YOU negative feedback? i'm guessing this is against ebay rules. if not, it damn well should be!

the stock bumpers are plastic, but they're nice ... and flexible to a degree. i think many of the aftermarket ones are fiberglass ...no give, they break.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
cooljess76

At the very least get a replica made of ABS. But I still recommend finding a Sport model, buying a cheap one-way bus or plane ticket, flying out to where it is and driving it home. A plane ticket and 2 or 3 tanks of gas will cost much less and net better results. IIRC, I spent $168 for a one way ticket to Michigan and about 200 bucks in gas driving back to California.

Also FWIW, there's some really tasteful non-sports that look as good if not better than many of the sport models. Take a look at members "wasabinuki" and "marcus2116" ti's.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
zboot

I bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110195849429

painted it myself: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....10&postcount=6
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #14
thesk8nmidget

thats was a good find zboot!

and fair price
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #15
JakeNotCliff

I was looking at that, but I wasn't sure how I could get the paint for it if I was to do it myself... I guess I have to go to the dealer, huh?