318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
aznlonewolf135

Default DDM Coilovers...

I've installed the fronts no problem but the rears I am having trouble with...

I know someone here has had my exact problem but I can't seem to find the post...Can someone help me out...

My problem is this:

The "thing" that adjust the spring doesn't seem to mate with the rubber hat unless I cut off the tip of it. The bolt that comes with it does not seem to fit unless I bore out the stock hole.

I haven't even tried the strut yet...
aznlonewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
mgbman69

Ummm, just stop installing them.

Please read this thread before you finish your install http://forums.carolinaeuros.com/inde...showtopic=6374
mgbman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Xenocide

+1

send them back
Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Is that aluminum? The funny thing is that if you badmouth DDM on BF.c, you'll get a hundred kids who have nothing to gain that will back them up simply because they got a good deal on a pair of headlights. I said it before on this forum, suspension is not an area that I would compromise quality in order to save a buck. It cost one guy his M3, it may cost someone else their life.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
spidertri

Vehicles

I'm fairly certain DDM used E30 rear perches instead of 318ti specific perches. This is why the perch doesn't sit properly on the trailing arm.

That being said, call DDM and send them back. Don't listen to their BS about how it fit on the test cars, that design does not fit on the ti trailing arm.

Also, that thread mgbman posted, the owner of the silver M3 knew the shocks were messed up before he drove on them. He then pushed them to the limit and that was the result. I am not trying to defend DDM just simply restating what the owner himself said in a thread on BF.c.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
KINGAMR

I believe they require the product being installed by a pro shop for them to warranty it if I read it right on bf.c
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAMR View Post
I believe they require the product being installed by a pro shop for them to warranty it if I read it right on bf.c
Probably so they could pass the liability off on the shop that installed them, lol. You know DDM isn't going to take responsibility or pay for that guys car. This isn't the first time they've had issues with fitment. Several people who've bought these coilovers have reported problems. Remember their sideskirts were too long? Did they ever fix that, heck no, they're still selling them and banking on the customers to just deal with it. Their shipping sucks ass. I live 3 hours up the road and it took over a month for them to process and ship my headlights. Their excuse, "well you're getting a great deal on them so you shouldn't mind the wait." I can't count the number of threads on BF.c where people's orders were missing parts, incorrect parts, defective and/or poor fitment. Their tailights and headlights trigger fault codes, angel eyes fail out of the box. It's no coincidence that their coilovers don't fit the rear of the Ti and their excuse is that it fit the test car. It's no coincidence that their coilover snapped and caused a wreck. Of course it'll happen, maybe not to everyone, but it's bound to happen when you order cheap stuff from China.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
mgbman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I'm fairly certain DDM used E30 rear perches instead of 318ti specific perches. This is why the perch doesn't sit properly on the trailing arm.

That being said, call DDM and send them back. Don't listen to their BS about how it fit on the test cars, that design does not fit on the ti trailing arm.

Also, that thread mgbman posted, the owner of the silver M3 knew the shocks were messed up before he drove on them. He then pushed them to the limit and that was the result. I am not trying to defend DDM just simply restating what the owner himself said in a thread on BF.c.

It's a silver 323is, but yes that kid is a dumb ass. Believe me, we tell him daily. However, the shop that posted the thread is amazing and does excellent work. They show an example of a poorly designed DDM coil over with chicken sh*t welds.

Like any public forum the dumb asses (guy with the silver 323is) will show up and speak out.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
mgbman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Probably so they could pass the liability off on the shop that installed them, lol. You know DDM isn't going to take responsibility or pay for that guys car. This isn't the first time they've had issues with fitment. Several people who've bought these coilovers have reported problems. Remember their sideskirts were too long? Did they ever fix that, heck no, they're still selling them and banking on the customers to just deal with it. Their shipping sucks ass. I live 3 hours up the road and it took over a month for them to process and ship my headlights. Their excuse, "well you're getting a great deal on them so you shouldn't mind the wait." I can't count the number of threads on BF.c where people's orders were missing parts, incorrect parts, defective and/or poor fitment. Their tailights and headlights trigger fault codes, angel eyes fail out of the box. It's no coincidence that their coilovers don't fit the rear of the Ti and their excuse is that it fit the test car. It's no coincidence that their coilover snapped and caused a wreck. Of course it'll happen, maybe not to everyone, but it's bound to happen when you order cheap stuff from China.
+1 People forget how important safety is when modifying their cars. It always amazes me how people compromise the original engineered design because something looks "cool".

Suspension, Brakes and safety equipment is something you never ever skimp on. You could pay for it with your life if you do.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
KINGAMR

cooljess I agree you on the liability issue & that safety shouldn't be compromised & coilovers are a whole new game from the headlights & cosmetic items. I gotta say though I got my order together & stopped by them when I was in San Diego & they treated me really good & for the next week or so they were on the line with me helping me with the door moldings & taking care of the situation since the ti has different specs than sedans & coupes. I'm kinda glad I didn't get the sideskirts now.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAMR View Post
cooljess I agree you on the liability issue & that safety shouldn't be compromised & coilovers are a whole new game from the headlights & cosmetic items. I gotta say though I got my order together & stopped by them when I was in San Diego & they treated me really good & for the next week or so they were on the line with me helping me with the door moldings & taking care of the situation since the ti has different specs than sedans & coupes. I'm kinda glad I didn't get the sideskirts now.
Yeah, I've actually met the guys in person at Bimmerfest and they were all really nice. When I was waiting several weeks for my lights to arrive, I called them practically everyday and they treated me really well over the phone. That being said, I'll probably never shop there again after all of the problems that have occured with them. It's completely unacceptable. Sure their prices are good, sure their staff is cool. Their service sucks and they sell cheap Chinese garbage. The fact that they've encountered these problems, yet continued to sell the same product to multiple customers is just plain wrong! They know their sideskirts don't fit, they know their coilovers don't fit, they know their angel eyes don't always work, they know their headlights and tailights trigger fault codes, they know their shipping is slow etc etc etc. But they continue to sell the same junk. Why you ask? BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE CHEAPSKATES AND ARE WILLING TO PUT UP WITH IT OR TAKE THEIR CHANCES IN ORDER TO SAVE A BUCK.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #12
KINGAMR

I couldn't agree more with your last statement, being on the forums for the last 4 & a half years I noticed this in every section I've been in such as E30,E36,E39,E46 & FI. & most of the time those individuals that demand a superior product are bashed & dismissed as assholes who are just against the forum sponsors for no good reason.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
spidertri

Vehicles

I'll be honest, I have DDM coilovers on my car and have put almost 5000 miles on them since they were installed in January by a shop. I have not been nice to them, roads around College Park are crappy to say the least. That said, I have only had to adjust the preload a couple of times and not much else. Nothing other than the rear perches is wrong with them.

The biggest reason why I would not buy them again is that DDM refused to believe me that the perches didn't fit properly. They wanted me to pay my own money to take the car to a shop to have them take the rears off and take measurements. I asked them if they would reimburse me and they said they would get their own "test" cars in CA. After a few weeks I called them and they said that both cars they tested the rear perches fit perfectly fine.

I then took pictures of how my perches didn't fit and emailed them to DDM. I managed to get someone on the phone and have them admit to me that there is no way the supplied perches would fit my car but that the "factory" had tested them on several cars and they definitely fit those "318tis"

I found some pictures of an E30 trailing arm and the nub on the trailing arm is the exact shape it needs to be for the supplied perches. This makes me think that DDM simply thought E30 rears were identical to the ti and didn't do any fitment testing at all.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #14
Xenocide

Please don't die dave.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #15
turbo5s

Three months plus and I still don't have my rear shocks. Almost a decent product but for all the fitment issues and the front end sproinging occasionally when I turn. The top bearing really doesn't want to turn easily, so the torington bearing seems to work great.

Dave: 2.5" is the right size if you put it over the rubber pad which has a sleeve that goes between the shock body and the bearing and washers. They will quickly chew up the rubber and because my wheels were just about touching to begin with, the washer has cut a groove in side of my tire. That's why I need to make one out of aluminum or steel..

..patching up this suspension kit is getting old and I'll likely never see the rear shocks since the charge was put in dispute and they have blocked my email instead of wanting to take care of the problem.
turbo5s is offline   Reply With Quote