318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

.
» Recent Threads
Repair vs. Replace? ...
07-29-2019 03:41 PM
Last post by BRADESTAR
Today 04:45 AM
13 Replies, 2,499 Views
99 M TECH FOR SALE IN...
08-21-2019 06:49 PM
Last post by Estii
Yesterday 11:53 PM
3 Replies, 315 Views
How much is too much $...
06-22-2019 10:31 PM
Last post by Estii
Yesterday 11:52 PM
8 Replies, 3,430 Views
Rhodes Racing Cage -...
07-25-2019 03:32 PM
Last post by dasauto88
Yesterday 04:03 PM
1 Replies, 1,356 Views
Happy Birthday ...
Yesterday 05:00 AM
Last post by 1996 328ti
Yesterday 05:00 AM
0 Replies, 186 Views
Learning to drift
06-29-2019 09:11 PM
Last post by EtherD5
08-20-2019 08:38 PM
3 Replies, 2,314 Views
318ti auto to 328ti auto...
03-16-2019 02:05 AM
Last post by EtherD5
08-20-2019 08:24 PM
35 Replies, 7,192 Views
M52tub25 in 318ti
05-03-2019 03:48 AM
Last post by EtherD5
08-20-2019 08:15 PM
3 Replies, 1,122 Views
M47 crank on m44, crank...
08-16-2019 03:24 PM
Last post by Rtalatief
08-16-2019 03:24 PM
0 Replies, 375 Views
'95 318ti auto to 325ti...
01-06-2016 06:56 PM
Last post by EtherD5
08-16-2019 12:45 PM
8 Replies, 3,189 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
bchen87
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default '95 318ti OBD I to S52 OBD II... Questions?

How much more difficult does the OBD I to OBD II engine swap make? Any advice here?

I've got a 1995 318ti w/ 62k and am looking to swap in a '97 S52, I'm open to other options, just need more power. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks
bchen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
turbobaja
Member
 
turbobaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)
Default

Great swap! My advice is Do it!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
turbobaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Nix328ti
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)
Default

Are you saying that you already have access to the '97 S52?
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
bchen87
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix328ti View Post
Are you saying that you already have access to the '97 S52?
Yes I do. Or I could order the s50.
bchen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Nix328ti
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)
Default

Got it. So your question is which would be more challenging, S50 or S52, right? Such low miles! I bet you could get some extra $$ from the parts.

Since it sounds like your still in the early stages, how about a wrecked Z3 for a donor? Not an S engine but it does use the aluminum block (2.8); Not a super power but definitely more power... Then you could get the trans and LSD with the deal. Maybe even some suspension upgrades...

Just throwing that out there. I don't have experience with the S swap but having swapped a few cars (non-BMW) it's really just about the small details. My other project is a '73 Vega GT. That's a whole different ball game since most of what I've done for that car I had to custom fabricate myself. With what I've experienced since getting my ti, there is way more support for parts out there.

I know one of the small issues to work out is the shifter setup. I guess that does bring up thel need to get a comparable S transmission too. Not speaking from personal experience with BMW but it's VERY likely that the S will make ice cream of the stock ti trans.

You probably already know all this so sorry if I'm tossing out information that you've already got a handle on.

Best of luck! OK, now someone with more experience can take it from here! LOL
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
bchen87
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix328ti View Post
Got it. So your question is which would be more challenging, S50 or S52, right? Such low miles! I bet you could get some extra $$ from the parts.

Since it sounds like your still in the early stages, how about a wrecked Z3 for a donor? Not an S engine but it does use the aluminum block (2.8); Not a super power but definitely more power... Then you could get the trans and LSD with the deal. Maybe even some suspension upgrades...

Just throwing that out there. I don't have experience with the S swap but having swapped a few cars (non-BMW) it's really just about the small details. My other project is a '73 Vega GT. That's a whole different ball game since most of what I've done for that car I had to custom fabricate myself. With what I've experienced since getting my ti, there is way more support for parts out there.

I know one of the small issues to work out is the shifter setup. I guess that does bring up thel need to get a comparable S transmission too. Not speaking from personal experience with BMW but it's VERY likely that the S will make ice cream of the stock ti trans.

You probably already know all this so sorry if I'm tossing out information that you've already got a handle on.

Best of luck! OK, now someone with more experience can take it from here! LOL
Do you have this Z3? If so, where are you from?
bchen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Nix328ti
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)
Default

Shoot, sorry dude, I was just throwing out an idea for you. I have a z3 swap in my TI.
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
bchen87
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix328ti View Post
Shoot, sorry dude, I was just throwing out an idea for you. I have a z3 swap in my TI.
Yeah I'll need a different diff. and a few other components to do the s50 swap. Will be a nice ride afterwards. Then plan to turbo it down the road!
bchen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
turbobaja
Member
 
turbobaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)
Default

If you plan to do turbo I have heard the 2.8 is best. Thick walls and when you lower the compression you can fill it up with boost.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
turbobaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
bchen87
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobaja View Post
If you plan to do turbo I have heard the 2.8 is best. Thick walls and when you lower the compression you can fill it up with boost.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hmmm, didn't consider that. Wanted the M engine but am open to other ideas.
bchen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
turbobaja
Member
 
turbobaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)
Default

Only difference for M engine is the cams. Changing those for turbo anyway. My Schrick's were nearing 800$ so don't waste money. I'm actually looking around here to get a 2.8 and prep it to swap out my S52 and add boost.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
turbobaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
essi1553
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobaja View Post
Only difference for M engine is the cams. Changing those for turbo anyway. My Schrick's were nearing 800$ so don't waste money. I'm actually looking around here to get a 2.8 and prep it to swap out my S52 and add boost.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This isn't true. Cams, Bore size, and crankshaft are all different between a M5x and S5x motors. (The M cars motors are S5x's, the 325i for examples had M5x's)
essi1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
bigbungster
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
Default

Its relatively easy and plug and play for the best part of it, everything lines up including the gearbox from a s5x just make sure you get the linkage as well. You will need 6 pot clocks for the tach to read right. From it being a 95 I think you might have a problem with the abs light but bmw do a fix for that it's just a bit of cable to go between the plugs behind the cluster. Easy job it is and you need the front part of the prop shaft as well as its shorter

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
bigbungster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #14
Nix328ti
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)
Default

I figure since we are just brainstorming here, I'll continue to pollute your thread a bit. (sorry in advance) How about a remote turbo (like rear-mounted)?

One of the things I like about the Z3 swap was the lighter weight block for the front. Helps simplify distribution when reducing weight too. We're already challenged on this front anyway:

51.4/48.6 (manual)
51.9/48.1 (automatic)

Not bad! but that's with the M44 (102kg/225lbs. depending on who you ask…lol)

It can get pretty tricky when the only places you've got to reduce weight are behind the front wheels. Starts eating into aspirations for 50/50 pretty quick. At least, with the aluminum m52b28 (z3 only for us US, so sad; at 118kg/260lbs. again based on bimmerforum) leaving you with a bit less to deal with up front (≈16kb/35lbs.); Although it's fair to also say that the m44 is neatly placed back where it should be and we've got to hang a bit more out over the front with the M5x's engines;

Practically speaking, that 35lbs. may actually be more like 50lbs. or something; Probably adding yaw too; BUT since we're just writing words and not cutting anything right now, 35lbs. sure sounds manageable! and a lot more fun if you're fantasizing. LOL.

SO add that with a turbo that's spread out a bit (weight-wise) and it would help keep the weight distributed... Don't get me wrong, remote turbo setup is not uncomplicated with needing to plump back-forth and resolve the oiling thing, either with a oilless turbo $$$$$$, or some sort of remote oiling system. I only bring it up because weight reduction on our ti cars get's our numbers so far down! It's sorta fun working on getting an e36 down around 2500lbs.(1134 kg). So cool. Might be fun… just thinking (writing) out-loud.

Nothing quite like snail juice. mmmmmm. Having just come off a turbo project though, I'm eager to work on the NA stuff for a while myself but I figured it couldn't hurt to toss out some ideas... Thanks for being patient with me, tiEM. If I don't write this stuff down to get it out of my system, I'll be off on some new damn project.

-Nic 328ti (z3 swap)

Last edited by Nix328ti; 11-19-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
turbobaja
Member
 
turbobaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by essi1553 View Post
This isn't true. Cams, Bore size, and crankshaft are all different between a M5x and S5x motors. (The M cars motors are S5x's, the 325i for examples had M5x's)

I was commenting on the head. Bottom end is shorter and thicker cylinders which in my experience is better for running boost. Valve size and ports are same.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
turbobaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
s52


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions: Building a 318ti track car nickylemns Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing 5 09-10-2014 03:35 AM
A few questions - getting ready for an S52 in a TI Artem Engine Swaps 51 08-15-2014 09:27 PM
CA 96 red s52 318ti j318ti Cars for Sale 0 08-12-2014 06:35 AM
new owner - 318ti w/Sport Package - general questions 2MCHPWR Personal bios and Introductions 17 07-07-2014 12:36 AM
NEEEWBIE !!!!! Picking up 318ti Toinght !! Questions.. first_bmw Lounge 10 04-15-2004 06:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 125.03 k/149.06 k (16.12%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.