318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 235 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,970 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-02-2004, 05:08 AM   #1
ergnut

Default Sunroof Switch in Center Console?

Has anybody wired a sunroof switch into the center console?

I'm not sure if the switch would work if wired in parallel to the original switch in the headliner (I would leave the original switch installed).

I'm also noted that on a ti the black plastic window switch carriers in the center console have a dummy plug - but the plug is not the same shape as a real switch, and the carrier appears to be incompatible with a second working switch. Has anybody installed a second working switch in one of these carriers? Or do I need to install a different carrier.

Thanks
ergnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

You mean like this?
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/int...of_switch.html
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
ergnut

Default Thanks

That's exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Rhys

What a good idea, would deffinatley make life easier.
Why on earth didn't BMW put it there in the first place?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
John Firestone

Ron Stygar and I have both installed "skunk" switches in our cars that further refine the above. With a single switch, we can open and close both windows, open and close the sunroof, or open and close both, with as much one-touch action as they will provide. It is part of the "ZZKE" controller I developed to add that and improve a bunch of other things on our cars. I would be happy to post more information about it if anyone is interested. I also still have the parts to make up a few more controllers and harnesses in case anyone wants to teach their old cars about a dozen new tricks. (I am going to be making up some more over the next week, a pair of which will go into Ron's 'ti.)
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
ergnut

Default Please Post

John-
I'd like to see how that works. Please share more information.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
John Firestone

Here is a picture of an earlier version of the ZZKE in front of its testbox.

The current version has a small daughterboard and a second connector so that it can roll down the windows.

And here is a description of the controller and what it can do. (I have posted this elsewhere. The screen shot, however, is new).

The ZZKE (Zusδtzliche Zentrale Karosserie-Elektronik / "supplementary central body electronics") is a small (2.5 x 4.1 x 2.3 inch, 64 x 104 x 58 mm) microcontroller that makes the interior and comfort equipment of an E36 3-series more useful, efficient, and convenient. The microcontroller occupies an unused slot in the module rack behind the glove box and taps into the stock wiring and modules through 7-35 wires, depending on its use and the car's existing equipment. The controller can be installed, alone or with a remote control or remote control/alarm system, to add some or all of the following:
  • Automatic door locking when the engine starts or the car moves, with re-locking after someone opens and closes a door,
  • Remote control locking that can completely close up the car, or leave just the sunroof tilted open on hot summer days,
  • Remote control unlocking that can lower the windows and tilt open the sunroof,
  • An audible oil pressure warning if the oil pressure switch closes, or if it doesn't when it should,
  • Auxiliary ventilation and heating (park ventilation) under the control of an on-board computer or remote control, with start-up / shut-down flashing and battery discharge protection,
  • Sunroof and window controls that remain on after you turn off the ignition and open a door, as in Europe,
  • A six-way, central sunroof and window switch ("skunk" switch) that can open and close the windows, open and close just the sunroof, open and close everything with as much one-touch action as the car will support,
  • A shift-up warning to avoid hitting the rev-limiter or to help shift at the power maximum, with rpm thresholds tailored to the first four gears,
  • A data logging mode which outputs the distance travelled, the engine speed, and the road speed, 18.75 times per second, and finally,
  • A speed limit warning for cars that don't have an on-board computer or a second limit warning for cars that do. You can use the speed limit warning to return the cruise control to the limit when you next drive the car.
For greater reliability and easier troubleshooting, the controller runs continuous self-diagnostics to detect noisy and stuck inputs, along with software and program ROM failures (none so far). By connecting a computer or PDA to a status port, you can log the previously mentioned performance data, watch the controller's inputs and outputs and display faults. Almost any computer with an RS-232 interface and an ANSI terminal program should do, for example, a PC notebook running Hyperterm, as should a PDA with a powered RS-232 interface. Here is a sample status screen for the curious:

If hooking up a computer or PDA is any trouble, you can first plug in an LED to check if there have been any problems.

Arguably, none of the above is new: the controller only executes some old ideas with perhaps a bit more refinement.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Someone had designed a similar product for the Mini.
http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml

John, Thanks for joining us Trunk Impaired folks.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Schlossman
Someone had designed a similar product for the Mini.
Pretty neat. I like the way he plugs his controller into the car.

Quote:
John, Thanks for joining us Trunk Impaired folks.
You know I came that close to getting a 318ti but ended up with its M44 brother, which is also grossly underpowered – above 190 km/h (118 mph) or thereabouts.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

The speed warning has me very interested.
Especially after my last encounter with our local revenue agent.

Leave it up to you and Ron to come up with this.
I have one of Ron's 3 hole gauge mounts still sitting in my basement.
One of these years I'll install it. It is a work of art.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 12-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Schlossman
The speed warning has me very interested.
Especially after my last encounter with our local revenue agent.
We don't have that in Germany: we have radar cameras, instead, and the convenient ticket-by-mail plan.

A nice refinement I added to the speed warning is that you can set the cruise control to the limit by holding the stock until you hear a ping. I have mine set at 100 km/h for more relaxed driving of the Landstrasse. I can return to that speed when I leave a village by simply accelerating with the cruise control. That may seem a bit silly but is very nice as you can look at the road the entire time.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #12
donslade

That is a great piece of electronics. How much would you sell one for?

Don S.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #13
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by donslade
That is a great piece of electronics. How much would you sell one for?
$100 for the microcontroller + $150 for a harness + shipping. They take me a little while to make!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #14
L84THSKY

So the board is plug and play when installed, or I must program it myself? Also, if you program it, do I have to specify what options my car has prior to purchase?

Where in Germany are you? I spent 10 years there, ex Air Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone
$100 for the microcontroller + $150 for a harness + shipping. They take me a little while to make!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:44 PM   #15
John Firestone

I am in Bremerhaven where the Weser River flairs out approaching the North Sea.

A bit over a third of the harness is plug and play, perhaps another quarter (8-9 wires) needs to be spliced into the car's existing harnesses, and the rest involves adding, moving, or removing contacts. I have written a fairly detailed installation guide with instructions for each connection, helpful hints, and wiring diagrams.

I preprogram the controllers with whatever options people want in the car. Actually, I can program two sets of options that you can switch between by flipping a DIP switch, in case there is an option you are not sure about or if you want to have a controller you can use in two different cars. (For example, the ones I am sending to Ron will work in either his z3m coupe or his 318ti.)