318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,029 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,069 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,284 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
DueceMcCracken

Default Blown M44, need some info

So I discovered my HG is blown.

I can replace the hg, which will suck. I've done honda HG's before so I have a pretty good idea of the labor involved plus the extra bull because it's a beamer, lol. The machine shop time and parts ordering will suck.

I can swap in another M44, but then I have to worry about it's condition plus swap all of my new parts onto it. Which will kinda suck.

The last option is to do a swap. I want to do a swap badly. If I'm going to pull my old motor I mine as well upgrade.

I'm currently tallying the total costs/involvement of each option.

I have limited funds, now I have no car, I'm kinda homeless as well. So my life is pretty beat as of right now.

My car is at my buddy's 2 car garage right now, which I rent half of it for my Shiznit. So I have all of the standard tools needed to do any of the three main options at my disposal. I do not own any BMW specialty tools for the HG.

So yeah...

Is the HG worth doing over a M44 swap?

If I'm doing a M44 swap should I just man up for a 6 cyl swap?

Wow. Those options jump quite a bit in price.

I just would hate to get f'ed again with a bad M44 motor.

I also would hate to open up my M44 to have it have some other parts needing immediate replacement before catastrophic failure.

The swap would fulfill my need for motorized wheels, and a bad ass TI.

I can get by right now with my bicycle. Which is going to suck, but I work nights so The summer temp won't affect me as much as if I worked days.

If I do the swap it would just be the swap. Maybe a clutch, motor mounts and tranny mounts. I would do the suspension and brakes at a later date.

How would you guys rate the labor/cost/bang for buck factor of each option.

I'm not looking for speeches or anything, I've had the roughest week of my short life so far.

I'm looking for people who have faced similar demons, acted against them and how happy their end results are.

Please feel free to elaborate.

Help me, please.

Trying to consume liquefied hops every second of every day. Mmmmm Hops...
DueceMcCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcCracken View Post
plus the extra bull because it's a beamer, lol.
Not to be a dick and sorry I cant help with the rest but its Bimmer, not Beamer.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Not to be a dick and sorry I cant help with the rest but its Bimmer, not Beamer.
lol, nice, kick him while he's down jk

honestly, if you really want the extra hp and can afford it, go with a 6-cyl., but if you just need a regular dd, replace the head gasket, I really don't think it's worth getting a whole nother M44 over something like that unless you really messed up the block or the head
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcCracken View Post

I'm looking for people who have faced similar demons, acted against them and how happy their end results are.

Please feel free to elaborate.

Help me, please.
I'm facing this demon right now. I'd always envisioned a swap, but not for at least a couple years. And like you, I'm pretty cash strapped. I've made a deal with myself.

If I can somehow get access to all an m3 (engine + tranny + DME + EWS + radiator and other misc engine stuff) for $2k shipped, I will bite the bullet.

If I can get a m52 engine + radiator + DME + EWS for $1.5kish shipped, I will bite the bullet.

However, I've found m44s in what seems to be good condition to be had for ~$500 shipped. So, if by the end of next week, I don't have a good lead on the m52 or m3 stuff, I'm going to do the m44 and treat this as practice for when I can afford the swap in the future.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
SDKmann

Hell Ive seen M50s for $500, check junk yards.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Hell Ive seen M50s for $500, check junk yards.
The other thing I need to worry about is getting an OBDII engine. I need to pass emissions in PA. But looks like either tuesday or wednesday, I'll be cruising a junkyard at lunch
Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
dave45056

If you have limited funds, I'd just replace the HG. Save the swap for when you have more time and $. I've heard that the 6cyl swap can nickel and dime you to death if you just buy an engine. Also, there are not many special tools required to do a HG. Flywheel lock, Camshaft lock, and rigid chain tensioner. You can have these made if you have a machine shop access. I made drawings of all the parts. They are in the knowledge base. These were for the M42. Pretty sure they are the same for the m44.
Good luck.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
pnosker

I'm happy to help you with this just so you know. I live right across the river near Stockton. Good luck with it. I think you should just replace the HG.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
pnosker

Also, read this thread: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ht=head+gasket
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #10
jonchino

why did the headgasket go? did it overheat or just did??

You might have to check if you head is warped.. Its not that bad just make sure your at TDC when removing the head. the cam tool locks the cames so you can put the chain on. and the flywheel lock( its just a pin)
jonchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
DueceMcCracken

Well as of right now I'm doing the math. I may buy Jim's manual to get a real good idea of swap costs.

My car has been overheating progressively worse. So I troubleshot the cooling system. I flushed it twice and no oil in the coolant. I wasn't smoking either, at all. I checked my oil today and BAM!! Frothy water oil mess. Nasty stuff. I was running like 20/80 with water wetter.

The fact that neither the coolant nor oil hit the combustion chamber has me worried that my head might be cracked. I did some "not so smart" impromptu cooling system refills on the side of highways and such. Not to mention the previous owner drove the car into overheat a few times on the bad water pump. So I'm afraid of getting all the Hg stuff together just to have a cracked head. Which would then force me to stuff a rag in the gas tank and light it.

I just installed Depo Crystal clear fogs too, lol. Which came out great BTW.

So yeah...

I want to run through the costs of doing the HG myself.
Then compare it to a shop.

I do not want to swap in another M44. Not worth it. At all. Ever, unless it's been built and has a turbo, lol.

So it's either I do the HG and have my whip drivable in 1-2 months or I pinch every penny and try to get a motor swap going within 2-4 months.

*Sorry for the typo before, I meant Bimmer.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
pnosker

Any pics of the Depo Clears? I'm thinking about getting those... and my offer still stands on help with work if you're interested.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
DueceMcCracken

I can get some pics, maybe even a little video action for yah.

Do you have a engine hoist or stand?

That would help me lean towards the swap.

I ride my bike on the Pa side of the canal up pass stockton all the time, I also used to live in The New Hope area. Now I'm just a tad bit south.

Well I appreciate your offer. I may take you up on it. I need to find out what path I'm taking though. I really don't want to pull apart the M44 to find more damage than I'm willing to fix.

This week has sucked.

I got a nice coolant burn on my face to top it off too, lol. Nothing like a first degree the size of a sand dollar. Life's overrated. J/k, well sorta.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
dave45056

The cost for parts to do a HG replace is around $125 if you buy from AZ Autohaus. Of course you may need additional work done to the head if it is warped. And if it's cracked, forget about that head. You will need special tools to re-assemble it correctly, though. Not sure how handy you are with a wrench, but if you are considering doing a swap, you should be.
This is what I would do... Remove the head, and take it to a mchine shop and have them work it. If it is cracked, they'll tell you. And if it does not clean up within spec height, they'll tell you that, too.
By the way, you can have it machined under the bmw spec if you buy a thicker than normal head gasket. Cometic has some options on that but they are pricey at about $170.
Bottom line is that is is relatively cheap to find out what the problem is by doing some disassembly and inspection. Then you can see how much it costs to fix and if it's worth it to you.
Good luck
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
zboot

swapping in another m44 will cost you around $500 (motor + shipping). Aside from costs of renting a hoist, fluids you'd need to replace, and the time you'd spend doing the work, it's relatively inexpensive.

Since you're not upgrading brakes, changing ECU or EWS, upgrading radiators, or getting a 6cyl cluster, you're saving a bit more than just the difference between a 6cyl motor and the m44.

But that's my take given my relative lack of funds and current inability to find a cheap 6cyl