318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 967,154 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,986 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
HuGo

Default SICK ENGINE SMOKE

FIRST PICTURE - Well on my way from work to my girls house, i stop at mcdonalds first. Im kicking it, and i notice a funny smell. I look at the temperature, and it was at the red. i was like WTF! so i turned off the car. I got my food turned it on again. Went to my girls house *3 blocks away exact* the temperature fell to 3/4. When i get to my girls house and turn of the car, smoke was coming out from the hood *a lot*. I open the hood to let the air out. So i call my dad he says to turn it off and dont drive for a while. Didnt matter for him to say that because i stay at her house for a long time anyway. So i go home *about 10-12 blocks* i get home open my gates, and smoke barely starts coming out again. Heres where the smoke was coming out from here around this area (picture number 1)

Second Picture - I open the hood again and grab a flashlight. I was looking around to see if what was burning. So I notice that the car had no water right here (look at picture #2) So i put water in there and i havent turned it on. Could it have been, and im hoping that the reason why theres was smoke was because there was no water?? I would appreciate if anyone knows about this.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.

Last edited by HuGo; 12-08-2009 at 11:22 AM.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
andyman7931

soulds like you blew a radiator hose. I am confused with pic 2 though, water shouldn't be there, nor is there anywhere to put water there. The right bottom of pic 2 is where water should go.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931
soulds like you blew a radiator hose. I am confused with pic 2 though, water shouldn't be there, nor is there anywhere to put water there. The right bottom of pic 2 is where water should go.
I belive bottom right is anti freeze.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
I belive bottom right is anti freeze.

ughhh, yeah. That's what goes in the radiator. Does your school have auto tech class? it may be worth a semester of your time if you want to be into cars at all.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
ughhh, yeah. That's what goes in the radiator. Does your school have auto tech class? it may be worth a semester of your time if you want to be into cars at all.
The left side where the arrow is showing, is where water gets put in. I think its for the windshield wipers.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
andyman7931

ahh, I see that the pics have now been switched. That makes more sense now. The thing that your arrow is pointing to is your washer fluid resivoir. That has nothing to do with your engine. That can be bone dry and you can drive for months without any problems other than a dirty windshield. The circled area where water is in your new pic 1 probably has coolant hoses running nearby that you need to inspect for leaks. I'm still learning about the m44's but most cars have some sort of throttle body or intake manifold heater. I'd start my search by looking at the hoses to that.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
ahh, I see that the pics have now been switched. That makes more sense now. The thing that your arrow is pointing to is your washer fluid resivoir. That has nothing to do with your engine. That can be bone dry and you can drive for months without any problems other than a dirty windshield. The circled area where water is in your new pic 1 probably has coolant hoses running nearby that you need to inspect for leaks. I'm still learning about the m44's but most cars have some sort of throttle body or intake manifold heater. I'd start my search by looking at the hoses to that.
Actually, i did notice it was pretty wet where i circled. Like if its leaking. My dad well check it out.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
HuGo

i was pretty sure that the motor didnt use water. But asked to double check.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
i was pretty sure that the motor didnt use water. But asked to double check.

I don't know if you're still in high school or not, but if you are, and can take an auto tech class, I'd highly reccomend it. I didn't when I was younger, thinking that it wasn't fun working on cars. When I was in college I decided that I liked cars and wanted a project car. Because I didn't know anything about cars, I had a huge learning curve. This is one of those things that looking back I wish I would have done. The thing that stopped me is that I knew it was a 'redneck' class, yet now looking back, that wouldn't have mattered one bit in the grand scheme of things. Since my college days I've more than made up any knowledge loss from not taking auto tech, but it sure would have jump started my hobby.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
bmwracerchick

Engine Smoking = Dont drive it and immediately get it towed to a shop......

your lucky the engine isnt completely blown, chances are its a radiator problem, like its on low or completely empty of anti freeze or you just blew your head gasket and that is not a fun fix....

Good luck though I dont know much about cares but I know enough to know that sounds like it might be the problem, definetly get it looked at by your dad or someone who is a mechanic.

That is just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
I don't know if you're still in high school or not, but if you are, and can take an auto tech class, I'd highly reccomend it. I didn't when I was younger, thinking that it wasn't fun working on cars. When I was in college I decided that I liked cars and wanted a project car. Because I didn't know anything about cars, I had a huge learning curve. This is one of those things that looking back I wish I would have done. The thing that stopped me is that I knew it was a 'redneck' class, yet now looking back, that wouldn't have mattered one bit in the grand scheme of things. Since my college days I've more than made up any knowledge loss from not taking auto tech, but it sure would have jump started my hobby.
WEll i just talked to my dad, he says its a hose that ripped probably cuz we saw a little bit of anti freeze near the motor but we couldnt find it/see it. So now i cant use my car. That sucks, i barely had a system installed and this happens. Now i gotta park it.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracerchick
Engine Smoking = Dont drive it and immediately get it towed to a shop......

your lucky the engine isnt completely blown, chances are its a radiator problem, like its on low or completely empty of anti freeze or you just blew your head gasket and that is not a fun fix....

Good luck though I dont know much about cares but I know enough to know that sounds like it might be the problem, definetly get it looked at by your dad or someone who is a mechanic.

That is just my 2 cents.
Yea we just looked at it *at 5 in the morning, haha* he says hes gonna bring a machine to put inside the anti freeze to pump air to see where the hose is ripped. Or he has to look at it. THIS SUCKS BasketBALLS

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
bmwracerchick

Oh ya and that place your pointing to with the area is definetly the windshield wiper fluid resevoir, lol and the engine is in desperate need to be cleaned, It is amazing when it is trust me on that

Good luck with the car hope it turns out to be somthing easy and cheap
Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracerchick
Oh ya and that place your pointing to with the area is definetly the windshield wiper fluid resevoir, lol and the engine is in desperate need to be cleaned, It is amazing when it is trust me on that

Good luck with the car hope it turns out to be somthing easy and cheap
well not to be all bad ass, but with the dad, parts are always cheap, haha, gotta love his connections with parts. Yea i figured the water is just for windshield. Any how, im suprised my dad hasnt washed the motor, he never likes to see any of our cars dirty. My car has been licking a little bit of oil recently, hes been wanting to check up on that too, but he hardly has time.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

There is a small plastic tee under the lower intake manifold. This is probably your problem. The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. DON'T DRIVE THE CAR. It's a huge pain in the a55 to get at this tee. You'll have to rip off the entire upper and lower intake manifold. Good luck.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote