318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,905 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
cultureslayer

Default Can a large dog comfortably fit into a 318ti?

I plan on getting a dog, and have already been told it will not be allowed in the M3. Obviously it is for the cat only. So can an 80 lb German shepherd type dog fit into a 318ti comfortably? Obviously a crate is out of the question. I would test this myself, but I do not have a dog or a ti at the moment.
cultureslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
the awakening

Well my dog fits comfortably. She, however, is 14 pounds. But nonetheless, if you take out the cargo cover and the butt cushion part of the back seats and then put them down, you have a very large, flat area for a dog to sit in. I would say it would be as comfortable as a dog is a car can get.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
cultureslayer

That sounds good. In the few pics I could find of the hatch area the seat didn't look very flat when folded down but that should work. I could imagine letting the dog in through the front doors might not end well and for safety reasons I don't want the dog sitting in the front passenger seat.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
the awakening

Yea they don't lay flat unless you remove the lower part of the seat. The part you sit on. Then they get pretty flat.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
cultureslayer

This is excellent news and will also make reupholstering much less painful.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

So... in the event that you're in a wreck (and I sincerely hope it never happens) you're OK with having an unrestrained 80 pound object behind you? Not trying to be a jerk here, just wanted to point out the obvious, I guess.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
cultureslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
So... in the event that you're in a wreck (and I sincerely hope it never happens) you're OK with having an unrestrained 80 pound object behind you? Not trying to be a jerk here, just wanted to point out the obvious, I guess.
It sounds like there is not room for a crate, and certainly not the proper tie downs to anchor a crate.

I'll take a loose dog in a car to a kid that unbuckled their seat belt any day. If I get in a wreck I want them cutting me out first and not some snot nose waste of space that won't listen. Putting a big jug of laundry detergent in the back seat instead of trunk is going to be just as dangerous. I ate sushi for breakfast too! OMG I ride a motorcycle! I'm gonna die by doggie paw to the face for sure. Some risks are not worth eliminating. You can pry my motorcycle from my cold dead hands. The car is just for when I need to buy cat litter or it's raining like crazy, so a loose dog every once in a while is not a big deal.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

I think we agree on children and sushi (not quite sure about sushi for breakfast though, LOL)... but I'll spare you my opinions on the things we disagree about.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
ti-billy

my dog is 70 lbs. and she rides in the ti no problem, most of the time she rides in the back seat but she gets to ride in the front on ocassion as well, i can fit a medium size metal crate (for like a 25-40lbs dog) in back when the seats are down and taking out the hatch cover panel, and i have a 10" sub in my hatch but i just have to turn it a little for clearence
1996 318ti base: m44, 5 spd, lsd - 18x8 bremmer kraft wheels w/sumitumo tires 225/40R18 & bmw locking lug studs, 10mm spacers in rear, halo headlights, cold air intake, koni str.t struts and shocks w/mounts, h&r sport springs, serp belts, control arm & tie rod kits, front sway bar links, JVC kd-x50bt headunit w/ipod hook up in the glove box, alpine sps-500(front and rear), jl audio 10" powerwedge max, jl audio 250.1 amp, motor mounts, fuel filter, passenger side window motor, drivers lower window run, muffler hanger kit, various interior bulbs, left door striker/ajar switch, lower hood latches, changed from gray vinal to black leather shift and parking brake boots, m3 weighted shift knob, ngk-r spark plugs, magnecor spark plug wires(blue),new cabin micro-filters,new headliner & a-pillar mouldings, 5w20 synth-blend oil and filter, BG Ultra Guard syn. rear end fluid & ls additive, BG Syncro Shift II syn. manual trans fluids, stainless steel braided brake lines and dot 4 fluid, extra brake light mod, new p/s reservoir and rubber hoses

need to do - fix door panels, paint job, MORE MONEY!!
ti-billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
cultureslayer

Sweet, being one of the smallest of my friends I am usually the one forced to sit in the back seat and wasn't sure if a dog could get in the back without tearing up the front seat. This would also allow me to buckle them in.

Hopefully I will find a ti soon.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
PrimeTimeSlime

German car, German Shepard, sounds like a match to me.

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one, care less for them"
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
cultureslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTimeSlime View Post
German car, German Shepard, sounds like a match to me.
I'll probably get a Dutch malinois or short hair Australian shepherd/border collie, but no one knows what those are.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Kiponator

I have two data points for you:

1) I recently fit four 315/35/18 corvette tires in the back with the seats dropped. That's over 120 lbs of gigantic tires.

2) There is a lot of dog hair from the POs pet still stuck to the floor in my hatchback.

I therefore conclude that a pretty giant dog would fit. I may have occasion to test this out with my own 75 lbs labrador fairly soon, but my concern is that it won't be going in the right direction with the dog hair situation if I do.
Kiponator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
ti-billy

@ cultureslayer - on getting in the back without tearing up the front seats, the front seats in the ti move quite a bit, the seat back moves forward and the seat bottom swings up and forward at the same time when u enter into the rear seat area, this gives u quite a bit of room to get in and out of the rear, keep in mind tho im only 5'4" and 130 lbs
1996 318ti base: m44, 5 spd, lsd - 18x8 bremmer kraft wheels w/sumitumo tires 225/40R18 & bmw locking lug studs, 10mm spacers in rear, halo headlights, cold air intake, koni str.t struts and shocks w/mounts, h&r sport springs, serp belts, control arm & tie rod kits, front sway bar links, JVC kd-x50bt headunit w/ipod hook up in the glove box, alpine sps-500(front and rear), jl audio 10" powerwedge max, jl audio 250.1 amp, motor mounts, fuel filter, passenger side window motor, drivers lower window run, muffler hanger kit, various interior bulbs, left door striker/ajar switch, lower hood latches, changed from gray vinal to black leather shift and parking brake boots, m3 weighted shift knob, ngk-r spark plugs, magnecor spark plug wires(blue),new cabin micro-filters,new headliner & a-pillar mouldings, 5w20 synth-blend oil and filter, BG Ultra Guard syn. rear end fluid & ls additive, BG Syncro Shift II syn. manual trans fluids, stainless steel braided brake lines and dot 4 fluid, extra brake light mod, new p/s reservoir and rubber hoses

need to do - fix door panels, paint job, MORE MONEY!!
ti-billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureslayer View Post
It sounds like there is not room for a crate, and certainly not the proper tie downs to anchor a crate.
There actually are four solid cargo anchors in the back of a 318ti.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote