318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,027,998 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Will'sBimmer

Unhappy A/C not working properly.

My A/C is not working in my car. I had the hoses hooked up and then had the compressor charged. But when I press the button the light comes on and then the car will make weird noises. Like something exhaust wise or the RPM will drop and then catch itself. Also the engine temp. will only go past blue when I am driving 70 on the interstate and then it still wont go past the 1/3 mark. Whats the promblem with it?????
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
pdxmotorhead

You have two separate problems,

1. Thermostat sounds like it went south.
2. AC clutch may be fried. The AC on the Ti is a little noisy because of the R134 refrigerant. It requires fairly high head pressure and the control valve in the system can make noise, believe there was an early TSB on it...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Panzer_M

thank god I don't have a/c
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Will'sBimmer

well I have good news I have bought a new thermostat with the housing. It is not the metal housing but is still new. Also my A/C still doesnt work makin it sometimes to hot to almost handle but I get by. After I get the new thermostat put on I will have the A/C looked at or replaced.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
adamud

I had a problem that sort of sounds like yours, but my car would let a/c air in when I was driving, but not at a stop. At a stop the RPMs would drop and then catch and sound really funny. I found out the fan in between the radiator and engine wasn't working. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=64&fg=55

I forget if it was as expensive as it says on there, but it fixed everything!! And I got if from a BMW dealer because they changed it in the 11yrs mine has been on there.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #6
Will'sBimmer

I will have to look into this but I am pretty sure that my fan is working but the promblem with it is that is stays on the whole time the car is running. But like I said I will look into this since it could fix the promblem.

also in the picture it looks as if the suction fan is located near the windshield???? but u say it is in between the radiator and engine. is there a fan near the windshield cus i see the one inbetween the engine and radiator.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
adamud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sBeamer View Post
I will have to look into this but I am pretty sure that my fan is working but the promblem with it is that is stays on the whole time the car is running.
What do you mean, the fan stays on the whole time the car is running??

Hmm thats weird. Its the same shape as the fan that I pulled (dropped) out. Not sure why the dot is by the windshield.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Will'sBimmer

I tried to run my A/C while I was driving the car on the interstate. Needless to say that it didnt really cause the engine to go crazy but it did start makin this hissing noise at me. The air felt like it was getting cold but I didnt keep it on long at all since I could hear this hissing. And what I mean by the fan stays on the whole time is that the fan between the radiator and engine will cut on and run as soon as my engine is running. I thought the fan wasnt supposed to cut on until the engine temp. rose to the halfway or normal mark. Is this correct or does it run the whole time?????

Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
adamud

I'm pretty sure it runs the whole time because ti's only have 1 fan. Other e36's have 2 fans.
So if you just started your car up without the climate controls on, I don't think it would run. But if the fan speed was set on anything other than 0, it will run because its trying to draw air in for the other fan under the dash to distribute it. Your fan running may because a bad one of these.... If its not the fan, maybe someone else on here can help you out or give some other advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	15.png Views:	196 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	3524