318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,003,677 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
schussey

Default Side View Mirror (horror story)

This past week was my spring break, so last Thursday, I woke up early and drove to Charlotte. A 400 and some mile drive from Birmingham.

Despite getting paced/pulled over by a cop at 115 somewhere in Atlanta, I thought the trip could get nothing but better.

Somewhere close to the BMW Factory (Spartenburg), an 18 wheeler spit up a piece of road debris, which smashed into my driver side, side view mirror. Totally destroying it. It was terrible.

So my questions come in: How much will this be to replace? Is it hard to do? Will I have to match paint?

Thanks in advance...

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
aceyx

consider yourself lucky it hit *just* the mirror. could have impacted the a-pillar (which alone can total a car) or given you a reason to replace your window glass.

i would search ebay and local salvage yards. somebody posted a link somewhere to a bmw-specific yard, so i'd try and find one already painted.

replacement is fairly easy; open a trim panel, swap a connector, do some screws, et voila.

that sucks man, but i know the feeling. i've hit two gators (truck tire treads) on the road, knocking out fog lights, plastics, and taking the alignment off.

it's scarier on a bike !
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #3
bluebastion

I've had a metal pipe (from a bent up and run over lawn chair) fly up and just miss the front end of my roof, instead hitting the very top of my windshield... which of course, after, needed replacing. You are lucky man... could have been much worse. Pelicanparts.com should have what you are looking for, for cheap... also... the only thing you'll need painted is the plastic backing... if you buy it new. And that shouldn't cost too much to do at any body shop.
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
maurolin

I have the stock mirrors in Cosmos Black. If you want them I CAN MAIL THEM TO YOU AND YOU CAN PAY ME WHEN YOU RECEIVE THEM. Say.. $60? both...
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

try having two deer shoot out into the road in front of you. first one crossed ... second one decided to turn around. i caught the a$$-end of the second with my driver's side mirror ... sheared it off and put some other dents in the side (which i believe led to the failure of the driver's side window regulator, came off track). had hair lodged into the side trim for weeks. been driving sans driver's side mirror for ... over a year and a half now

was going to try to work getting sport mirrors into the insurance work that goes into fixing it up. anyone know of a good source to get sport mirrors other than bav auto? maybe some used 4-door m3 mirrors?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
aceyx

cal; that sucks.

if you talk to your body shop, you can probably have them apply the cost of stock mirrors toward sports. i don't know though, is this insurance fraud?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

well, i would just like to apply my deductible (for that mirror or whatever) on getting the sport mirrors instead of the stock mirror. you are certainly correct, i need to work with the shop and my insurance company. no sense putting a stock mirror back on when i want to switch to sports. i may have the shop look at the evil rust that i noticed on my rear hatch too. i swear that **** is coming through from the inside, meaning the inside/hollow part of the hatch (God i hate rust!!!).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 03-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
schussey

yea I am glad it did not hit my windsheild......and I just noticed that it popped out my passenger side fog delete.....oh well.

pelicanparts here i come...

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
maurolin

guys... a deductible is what.... $500??? ebay has right now an ORIGINAL set of AC Schnitzers for 4 door E36, OR visit EZbodyparts.com and but theirs at $160 for the pair I belive!. save some $ if you want the sports.
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
schussey

i'm not even going to claim this to insurance, not even worth it

-chris

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

maurolin, i agree ... but mine is more than just a single mirror. dents will either need to be pulled or God knows what. possible paint matching, blah blah blah. it'll rack up quickly, i have no doubt. i hardly ever make a claim, what am i paying all this damn insurance for anyway? i'll check out the schnitzers ... thanks for the tip!