318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,992 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
3.2TI

Vehicles

This is related to your concern and might be the cause.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=400482
Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
wolferj-RIP

Thanks for the link. It's a very interesting issue, but doesn't relate to me, as I have a stock airbox/intake...

Multiple forum searchs have revealed that this is a problem others have had, but the resolution either wasn't posted or turned out to not be the same problem I have... One suggestion I have received is that the key chip went bad or shorted out. It would seem a possibility, and I am going to order one (since I have only ever had one key since I bought the car 5 years ago), but I don't think it's the issue.

I have spark, the engine cranks over fine, but I suspect that I am getting no signal to send fuel to the engine.

I have tested and confirmed line ground continuity, but no matter what I try, I cannot get the car to send a readable signal to the pump...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
wolferj-RIP

Well, I relinquished the car over to my mechanic. I am, at least somewhat, relieved that he is having no better luck than I diagnosing the issue. A week of tinkering in his off time has revealed no smoking gun...

That most likely means a deeper problem and not a simple fix...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
pdxmotorhead

Pressure gauge connected to fuel rail shows correct pressure during cranking?
Swapped relays?
Spark while cranking?
Code scanner communicated with computer?
All fuses checked with meter?

Good luck!
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Pressure gauge connected to fuel rail shows correct pressure during cranking?

No. No pressure during cranking. No power to pump.

Swapped relays?

Tried that. Had good extra relays also, tried those...

Spark while cranking?

Yes...

Code scanner communicated with computer?

Have had issues with this since the swap. The ti Body module doesn't cooperate with scanner, but works fine. A e36 M3 body module will read and communicate, but not the ti unit.

All fuses checked with meter?

Yep. Not getting any power to or through fuse 18 (fuel pump) which is on the pump side of the relay... I tried a relay bypass jumper which should have powered the pump direcly from the battery, still nothing..

I confirmed that I have ground continuity at the pump, and power to and through the relay location, but no power to the fuel pump. Beginning to suspect a problem in the fuse box/power distribution block, as the only thing between the relay and the pump is the fuse and the wiring harness. I can also try running a new "home run" directly from the relay to the pump to rule out a short in the harness.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dave
Red responses...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
pdxmotorhead

I meant ALL the fuses in the fuse box just to be clear, there are several weird cross connects in the BMW fuse boz, like the one that disables the starter if your brake light fuse is blown.... Or the one that stops your wipers if you get a short in the wrong two wires in the rear harness...

Worst case the bottom of the box comes off, so you can go through it with a test light...

Dave
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I meant ALL the fuses in the fuse box just to be clear, there are several weird cross connects in the BMW fuse boz, like the one that disables the starter if your brake light fuse is blown.... Or the one that stops your wipers if you get a short in the wrong two wires in the rear harness...

Worst case the bottom of the box comes off, so you can go through it with a test light...

Dave
True, I was not that thorough, but will test them all... It does seem that there are few, if any, other circuits that connect into the fuel delivery system. However, there is quite a list of potential issues causing no fuel, so tracking them down is proving challenging...

BTW, I love "Dave drive-by" postings... Great to see a very knowledgeable member come through and post recommendations and suggestions for un-resolved issues... Thanks for all your input!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
pdxmotorhead

LOL ,,, drive by posting....

Yea, I don't get much free time these days... Too many projects new job kids... arg...

My TI is badly neglected right now... Gotta fix the driver window again... FIx the Heater blower, and clean the idle air control valve... Arg..
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #24
wolferj-RIP

Finally it's running again!

Issue #1 - Bentley wiring diagram and TIS diagram have the fuel pump and DME relay positions wrong (switched). According to those, the Fuel pump relay is the one closest to the front of the car and the DME relay is center position. Therefore, all my testing was using the wrong relay and pin locations.

Issue #2 - fuel pump most likely was bad, or going bad. It is probably what caused the initial problem.

Issue #3 - Crank position sensor was bad. I suspect that I shorted it out during all my testing.

All's well that ends well... I have my "little B" back home, running like a top again. Now maybe I can tackle the coilover and strut brace installs that have been waiting since last month...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
elchicano

Good to hear it's running again.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
pdxmotorhead

Good stuff...

Dave
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
teetime4one

Vehicles

Sweet! I want to hear more about the coilover project you have in store for us. What type did you get? Pics?
Keep us in the loop.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
wolferj-RIP

Bought the D2 coilovers and Mason strut bars (front and reat) from EuroStopUSA when he parted out his ti. I also had just finished putting on a x-brace the week before the car died.

pics will follow soon...