318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Speak English!

I was considering installing the Reiger rear hatch spoiler, and the Hartge rear roof spoiler yesterday. When I opened up the package of stuff for each item, and looked at the instructions, they were in German and French. The bottle of glue, and some other kind of primer, is all written in German.

How the hell am I supposed to know what to do? The instructions for the Reiger hatch spoiler show a template to cut out, and some sandpaper to use on your car. That scares me, along with the drilling of two holes through the hatch.

Anyone installed either of these two items, and can give me instructions in English, and or install tips?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
evalha007

Scan them and email them to me, I can translate them. evalha@hotmail.com
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalha007
Ohh man, I feel his pain. My Reiger rear bumper came with some weird stuff. Some glue, some sort of weird looking pins, and other things. The instuctions also left me blank. I have no idea WTF they say.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Silver00spike

babelfish.altavista.com
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver00spike
babelfish.altavista.com

I tried that, but I dont know how to type in all those wierd german symbols.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
mischief

i would just take it to the body shop
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
mark07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
Should be an international keyboard that you can use...
mark07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark07
Should be an international keyboard that you can use...

Really? I might look into that.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
If you can't, just tack on an e after each letter with two dots and replace ß with ss. So, when you see:
  • ä type ae
  • ö type oe
  • ü type ue
  • ß type ss
The result is not as elegant but it is readable. I hope that helps.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
Juni

cool, thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58 AM   #11
PettitWC

You can also type it into microsoft word. there's symbols you can put in in the insert menu or you can convert your computer to type them (it changes the letters around a bit too).

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
L84THSKY

I'll do that. I also plan on e-mailing Hartge and Reiger for English instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalha007

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
I was considering installing the Reiger rear hatch spoiler, and the Hartge rear roof spoiler yesterday. When I opened up the package of stuff for each item, and looked at the instructions, they were in German and French. The bottle of glue, and some other kind of primer, is all written in German.

How the hell am I supposed to know what to do? The instructions for the Reiger hatch spoiler show a template to cut out, and some sandpaper to use on your car. That scares me, along with the drilling of two holes through the hatch.

Anyone installed either of these two items, and can give me instructions in English, and or install tips?
I thought you like German made stuff?

HAHa

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
L84THSKY

I do. But I was so busy traveling, while stationed in Germany, I didn't get the chance to learn the language.

Becoming fluent in German and French is on my list, after I finish Graduate school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
I thought you like German made stuff?

HAHa

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #15
L84THSKY

I took the car to have a scuff repainted and the M3 mirror plates painted green. I was gonna have the Reiger hatch and Hartge roof spoiler installed at the same time.

The owner of the shop is a personal friend of my brothers, so he is very nice to me. He asked me if the spoilers were OEM, and I said no. As soon as he saw they needed to be glued on, he refused to do it. He said he has had bad experiences with this kind of stuff. I guess he was afraid it might come out bad, and that would cause friction with the friendship.

Looks like I will have to find another shop to do that portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief
i would just take it to the body shop

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd