318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Air Filters/Intakes

Notices

Air Filters/Intakes Air filters and cold air intake systems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,012,863 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #31
Prada

Prada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #32
Boxbrownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepas
I'll say leave it conected, that whole tube is to suck cold air coming from the front of the car, but if you remove/disconect it the air will come from everywhere underneath the hood, HOT air (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it should be Cold Air, and is why is called CAI (Cold Air Intake) for better performing,,,,no??
Correct, because cold air is denser than warm air so you get a greater "charge" of air into the cylinders, more air=more oxygen=better/cleaner burn=more power.

Best regards David
Boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #33
Yellowducky

Hey gang, I have a M42 and had made the mod to the airbox, except that I cut out the funnel shaped tube, leaving the connector to the intake that leads to the outside near the grill.

I use a K&N drop in replacement filter too. I have been using this setup for quite some time now and the initial reaction is pretty much the same as you guys. After 2 yrs, I am starting to feel the lack of power below 3000 rpm and felt that the stock setup has better gas milage and quicker response. Maybe I do need the airbox pressurized? This mod has gained top end on the expense of the bottom end. Since I had my baffle cut off, I have no choice but to source a new one to compare. Any thoughts??
Yellowducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #34
bullmand

Here is some information that may be useful or interesting. On the M42 the intake path is directly into the front of the airbox from somewhere between the driver's side headlight and the driver's side kidney. On the M44, it comes from the same location on the passenger's side and through a hose that sits on top of the radiator. This seems really stupid and the general theory is that this was done to cut down on engine noise. For those of you who would like a slight increase in the amount of airflow(and possibly a decrease in air temps) and a don't mind a little more engine sound, I would recommend the M44/M42 dual intake mod seen here:

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/M44_du...ake/index.html

This will maintain the factory look and position of all those other related intake bits. I did this to mine about 4 years ago and it's been great. I also took out the foam liner. This mod is really on useful to M44 owners. I don't think it would be worth the cost and effort to add the parts from the M44 to the M42. I may still have the part number for the M42 intake cone at home if anyone wants it.
David Bullman