318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,012,863 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
HuGo

Default Almost killed Myself

Wow. Yes i know most certain you guys are gonna rip on me. I know you guys are going to call me stupid, retarted, bla bla bla and for this story, i will agree with you guys. Ill accept that this time i did f*ck up. Heres story.

So im in the GSR right, coming outta work. This show off and some guy i dont like is in front of me in his car on our way out of work already. So hes c*cking me around and sh*t right. Well we get a red light. I was behind him and we got into the freeway. So whatever i got ahead of him, i didnt glance at him, i didnt provoke him to race, nothing. So i was already way ahead. When outta no where i see his headlights catching up and coming fast and switching lanes left to right, meaning he wanted to pass me and take off thinking hes gonna race me out. So right before he cought up to me, i down shifted and took off. He couldnt keep up and out ran him. So i was looking in my mirrors to see where he was. When i have ever raced anyone on the highway i always look straight ahead. But this time, since i dont like the guy, i wanted to make sure i beat him, so i was looking in my mirrors to see where he was. So im doing about 110MPH, i looked towards the road again when i see a car pulling into my lane, i managed to barely but i mean barely see it on time and i swerved to the right lane missing him, in my guess, 2 inches. As i was turning into my right lane there was another car coming infront of me again coming from my right side, so i swerved into the left lane. I knew i had to move fast cuz braking would have done nothing at those speeds. I mean of coarse we all have had that when we are driving and someone just comes in outta no where. But i got scared cuz of the speed i was going. If i woulda tapped that bumper, i woulda slammed into it, spun out, and who knows what from there. For the first time ever, i got scared and my hands started shaking. Ive almost been crashed into a buncha times but normally im doing 80 tops, but at 110? So i learned my lesson. My lesson is, if i race again in the highway or wherever, not to look in your mirrors and pay attention. If im racing and i dont see him passing me, then im winning or out ran him. If he passed me, obviously im losing. So i just want to say to you guys that if you ever race, i know we want to see how far we are ahead of the opponent but just keep looking straight. Ive raced serious of times, and this has been the only one where and first time where i didnt pay much attention to the road. So yea, before you guys start, im a f*cking retard....

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
KetteringTi

Yeah. About that.

Not only do you need to keep yours eyes ahead at that speed, ideally you should be planning ahead, finding openings and gaps, and watching cars to determine whether or not they are likely to change lanes, etc.

I know how scary that kind of thing is, though. One time I was on I-696 in Detroit ripping through traffic as usual, doing somewhere around 90-100. I approach three cars blocking the three right lanes, with the left lane open. The middle left lane, the one I'm in, has a box truck in it. There is a big enough gap to get through, but there is an Escalade in the left lane HARD on the throttle, seemingly intent on not letting me pass. With the Escalade accelerating, the gap between it and the box truck is closing quickly. I'm hitting 110 at this point, and the box truck is putt-putting along at 75-80 tops, so I'm closing in on him fast. Finally I reach the point of no return and swerve into the left lane, NARROWLY missing the box truck by no more than a foot or a foot and a half. Don't know how close I was to the Escalade, but it was pretty friggin' close. Problem is, at 110, on concrete roads, with as hard as I had jerked the wheel, there is quite a bit of kinetic energy. I can only ask the tires for so much. My corrective steer to get me going straight in the left lane is quite abrupt so not to end up in the retaining wall, and the car begins to slide. Yes, slide, at 110 mph, foot to the floor, completely dry roads, 245/40R17 high-performance tires, on I-696. I probably had the car going at a good 20* drift angle. Countersteered out of it with, suprisingly, no overcorrection, and sped on. The car was silent for a few moments until me and my buddy both recovered from our shock and let our buttholes return from a pucker factor of at least 10! That's gotta be my most hair-raising moment.

Glad you dodged a bullet though.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
HuGo

I know people are gonna be like haha, but im a real good driver. But i have already dominated my car (my ti). I have full control with my ti and i take risks cuz i know i can handle my car, and i know my car. But i was driving a gsr. Im always safe about racing, always. Just that this time i did F*ck up. But i just couldnt let this guy beat me, its just a no no. Hes a big talker and if i woulda lost, he would tell the whole job and brag up the as$. So i was just making sure where he was. This is funny to me though that im a real good driver but really dont know much about engines. The GSR i can control but i dont have full faith to it. Plus, it has stock GSR rims so the tires arent as wide as my TI's tires. But im glad it happen to me, and take it as an experience.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
stormos

someone has to say it

*** twat! ***
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos

*** twat! ***
Yea i love those.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
I know people are gonna be like haha, but im a real good driver.
If that's true, prove it on the track.

Muhammad Ali wasn't great because he threw down at the schoolyard, but at a proper venue where people could recognize it.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
halobeamin

lol one time i was in my truck on the freeway going about 120 and i came about 2 inches from two cars as i made a diagonal lane shift from the right to middle lane .. scary as hell.. my truck came off the ground for a split second and all i could hear was revving...

probably the last time i went over 80 in that truck

my beamer though.. haha like 140 (no traffic)
Old 03-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Severian

Didn't I see a scene like this in Back to the Future 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
So i learned my lesson. My lesson is, if i race again in the highway or wherever, not to look in your mirrors and pay attention.
Being a parent, this just makes me shake my head. I thought your lesson was going to be, "Racing isn't worth the possibility of death to me, or death to someone else and a decade in jail for reckless endangerment and 3rd degree murder." Or something like that. But instead the moral of the story was, "Look straight ahead to minimize risk."

Boooo!

Racing is dumb.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
halobeamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Racing is dumb.

Only if done carelessly
Old 03-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
stormos

Dude,

Do you have eyes on your ass to accompany your mouth?

just an observation.
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
Old 03-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

so ... while your dad was trying to resurrect your ti that you hydrolocked, you're out racing his GSR and come damn close to totalling it and possibly killing people? NICE WORK! congrats to you man ...

glad i don't live in cali!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
Old 03-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Let's not get ugly here.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #13
stormos

sorry, but its not our fault he is clearly a muppet. It's not exactly wise to talk about speeding and almost crashing your car and expect to not get criticism.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #14
halobeamin

tell me why my friend wrecked his mother's brand new 2006 Acura 3.0 TL by hitting a parked car..

he was bragging about how he did it because he was driving with his lights off at night..

i haven't seen him since his parents found out though

so in conclusion, people do stupid things
Old 03-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
davep-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos
sorry, but its not our fault he is clearly a muppet. It's not exactly wise to talk about speeding and almost crashing your car and expect to not get criticism.

LOL. muppet makes me laugh!

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
Closed Thread