318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,279 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #481
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime4one View Post
Question for you Dave, do you still have a stock-pile of parts from this car?

if you do...i'd love to rummage around and see what i can find.
maybe i can get the entire crew together for a viewing of your rally car too if you'd be willing to show & tell.
I don't really have too much left. I do have an automatic transmission and the control box for it. Free to a good home, I just felt guilty throwing it away. If you're looking for something specifically, LMK and I can take a look around. I think I have a 6 disc changer.

BWM is in steamboat for the next month or so, but once spring hits, I'll be taking it out to the CORE facility for more testing. Might be fun to have a meet up out there and take you guys for a spin and see if I can't get more people hooked on rallying!

Dave

Built-by-Bones & SCR Performance
Mishimoto
DaveKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #482
teetime4one

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKern View Post
BWM is in steamboat for the next month or so, but once spring hits, I'll be taking it out to the CORE facility for more testing. Might be fun to have a meet up out there and take you guys for a spin and see if I can't get more people hooked on rallying!

Dave
perfect!

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #483
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKern View Post
Damn, I thought the FW was one of the things those guys actually did right...figured it was a Fidanza or some other brand just rebadged. Undecided on which clutch disk I'll get to replace the used one it came with. Figure while I'm in there I'll replace the friction surface as well.

Motor/trans mounts - failed in under 40 miles and I've not read very good reeviews on the shifters.

On a positive note, I've been thrilled with how the AKG stuff is holding up.

Dave
Give the guys at JB Racing a call and tell them what you are doing, they will hook you up right. http://www.jbracing.com/

They are a racing machine shop here in Central Florida that does amazing motor build work for old twin plug porsches, and they also make some of the best lightweight BMW flywheels. I have one of their 318 flywheels that perfectly matches to the stock clutch, etc.. So a true 9# flywheel without the added weight of trying to use an M5 clutch kit. The provide driveline parts to a long line of pro teams.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #484
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Give the guys at JB Racing a call and tell them what you are doing, they will hook you up right. http://www.jbracing.com/

They are a racing machine shop here in Central Florida that does amazing motor build work for old twin plug porsches, and they also make some of the best lightweight BMW flywheels. I have one of their 318 flywheels that perfectly matches to the stock clutch, etc.. So a true 9# flywheel without the added weight of trying to use an M5 clutch kit. The provide driveline parts to a long line of pro teams.
I'm a bit over budget on the build - that engine failure really hurt! I'm not quite up to the point where I'm ready to commit to races, so not actively hunting for sponsorship support yet.

I will probably just try to make the best of the UUC one and pick up a new clutch disc for it for now. Just need to decide which level of clutch is a appropriate for the car. I've got a blower kit sitting on the shelf for it, but it'll be at least another year before I think about adding even more power to it.

Eventually, if the car is competitive, I'd love to put a Drenth sequential in it....speaking of blowing the budget out of the water. Next 'big' step will be fitting the Compact Cup body work to the car and I'm hopeful I can drop nearly 100 lbs with that. Baby steps, LOL!

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #485
mohaughn

Oh, I didn't mean from a sponsorship perspective. Just that if you need help figuring out the right flywheel, clutch, etc.. combination, the guys at JB Racing are the right guys to call for that type of product.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #486
DaveKern

I hear ya...I just had meant with being over budget on the build, dropping $$ to replace parts I've already got that seem to work fine isn't likely to happen. Better to use what money is left on entry fees!

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #487
mohaughn

Ahh.. my bad, i didn't read the entire part about what the issue was, just saw the comments about UUC and other vendors getting negative posts deleted about their products. Assumed you were having an issue with the FW you bought from them.

I've pretty much removed every UUC product from my car except for the clutch stop. Kind of hard to mess that one up.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #488
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I've pretty much removed every UUC product from my car except for the clutch stop. Kind of hard to mess that one up.
Better go find a piece of wood real quick! LOL

Mishimoto
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #489
mike156

I've followed your EVO in the past but just came across this thread today. Awesome build, particularly the chassis prep stuff.

I've got an EVO VIII setup for street mod as well as a '95 318ti that I'm looking to build into a road race car. Your project is making me reconsider the direction I want to take the 318 in as I love driving on loose surfaces.
mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #490
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
I've followed your EVO in the past but just came across this thread today. Awesome build, particularly the chassis prep stuff.

I've got an EVO VIII setup for street mod as well as a '95 318ti that I'm looking to build into a road race car. Your project is making me reconsider the direction I want to take the 318 in as I love driving on loose surfaces.
Thanks....and doooo eiiit! Rally the BMW!

There's def some stuff I've learned on this build that I'd consider doing differently next time, but overall, I think the car is alot of fun - easily as much fun as the Evo the $/mile cost is so much lower on the BMW.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #491
DaveKern

BMW is done playing on the ice for the year. Loaded it up last night and towed it back to Denver. I'm a little bit sad, but looking forward to getting it back on some grippy stuff. Here was a video my buddy put together from the play day last weekend:

Found out I've got some more work ahead of me. The LSD I got from the junkyard doesn't limit anything. I need to tear into it to see what's going on, but 1wd on the ice is s l o w coming out of the corners. Sorta kicking around the idea of finding a 3.9 diff instead of the 4.3. With the torques of the inline 6, I don't think I'll hamper the performance much by gearing it back down...and it should help with the massive amounts of shifting I've been doing. Most of the time on the ice, I just put the car in 3rd and left it there. Torque is fun!

In addition, the throw out bearing is making all sorts of terrible noises, so I'll need to tear the transmission off the car shortly and figure I'll drop a new clutch disk in there, as the one in there currently was a used unit. Good enough for goofing around, but not something I'd trust to an $800 entry fee, 4 days off work, and 1500 miles of towing.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #492
teetime4one

Vehicles

looks like fun Dave.
hope you are able to get the LSD all figured out, as well as that pesky throw out bearing.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #493
tiFreak

Vehicles

the clutch discs in the LSD are probably shot, I'm not really sure where to get them from though
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #494
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
the clutch discs in the LSD are probably shot, I'm not really sure where to get them from though
Yep, I'm guessing you're right on that one. No telling how many miles were on it. Oh well, that's what I get for spending $20 on a LSD. Time for another trip to the junkyard I suppose.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #495
mike156

I wonder if TRE could hook up the BMW rear diff with some extra plates...

I've got a factory LSD and it doesn't hook up at all either.
mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote