318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 979,832 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #151
Midnight Autoworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
I'd be afraid to do the stage 3 from MA,i think over a short period of time it will put too much stress on the engine and afraid something will blow. I wanted a s/c at one point but i drive 3,000 miles a month give or take a little and really don't think it will work out to my benefit. I registered my car in RI in november 04 with about 60k on it and right now i got 94k on it.
My Z3 ( the one in the video) has had the stage three package for about 6 months now and before that it had the stage 2 package for well over a year. I have put about 30k miles since I first installed the S/C and its still running hard, and I havent ran into any problems. My car is the project car for MA so its been under more stress than any other car will endure with this S/C

Gus
Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #152
AlaskaBlue

Can you post up some more videos of the car?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #153
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Autoworks
My Z3 ( the one in the video) has had the stage three package for about 6 months now and before that it had the stage 2 package for well over a year. I have put about 30k miles since I first installed the S/C and its still running hard, and I havent ran into any problems. My car is the project car for MA so its been under more stress than any other car will endure with this S/C
so you've tracked it and auto-x'd it how many times since the install? what range of temperatures and such has it been through (alaska winters through phoenix in summer)?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 AM   #154
96cali

true- and if your smart and wait for group buys it's even lower. BTW notice I didn't say M3 swap. A 32x swap could be comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
i don't see that the price of the exhaust can be factored in since you have to do up a new exhaust on a 6 swap as well.

DASC = $3500 + $1000 for a LTW flywheel+clutch = $4500. considering all the stuff you need for a 6 swap, i think it's still cheaper. keep in mind you can keep your stock suspension and rear diff which i'm not sure i'd do with a 6.

NickG's stage 3 likely gets it a little closer in cost: ~$800 + HFM (got one for $70) and intake (don't know yet).

certainly the cost of the 6 swap has been getting cheaper and cheaper while the DASC stays about the same

just my 2 cents

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #155
Midnight Autoworks

More video coming tonight!0-100mph race between:
3.2l M roadster with M50 manifold, LW-flywheel, CAIS and exhaust.
vs.
1.9l z3 with Midnight autoworks stage 3 supercharger kit, no cats.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #156
HuGo

Quote:
More video coming tonight!0-100mph race between:
3.2l M roadster with M50 manifold, LW-flywheel, CAIS and exhaust.
vs.
1.9l z3 with Midnight autoworks stage 3 supercharger kit, no cats.
not to be mean but, cant you test ur equipments on a TI being that we all own TI's here.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #157
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:

Gus

If i'm driving 3k miles on the highway a month and probally only 25 city miles i really don't need a s/c. When i 1st got my car 5yrs ago yeah but with all mydriving now i really don't need it,it's fast enough for me on the highway. I want my engine to last another 200k miles and don't want to add something that will reduce that. If i didn't do that much driving i might get one but i'd rather waste my money on something else to do to my ti.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #158
HuGo

Quote:
If i'm driving 3k miles on the highway a month and probally only 25 city miles i really don't need a s/c. When i 1st got my car 5yrs ago yeah but with all mydriving now i really don't need it,it's fast enough for me on the highway. I want my engine to last another 200k miles and don't want to add something that will reduce that. If i didn't do that much driving i might get one but i'd rather waste my money on something else to do to my ti.
how is it that the S/C wears out the engine?? So you say it can last you another 200k, with the S/C how long would it last, just another 100k?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #159
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
how is it that the S/C wears out the engine?? So you say it can last you another 200k, with the S/C how long would it last, just another 100k?
any performance part can cause extra wear on an engine, especially a supercharger or turbocharger. The extra heat and power generated can weaken things quicker than designed. If there wasn't a downside to cramming more air and fuel into engines, there wouldn't be any large displacement engines around.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #160
Midnight Autoworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931
any performance part can cause extra wear on an engine, especially a supercharger or turbocharger. The extra heat and power generated can weaken things quicker than designed. If there wasn't a downside to cramming more air and fuel into engines, there wouldn't be any large displacement engines around.
Well said
Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #161
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Depends on how you drive your car. Lets say we both have ti's with exactly 100k on it and you put a s/c on it and i don't. I would guarantee that my car will live longer than yours.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #162
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931
thank you, see why cant you just help me like that.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 02-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #163
madfronter

Quote:
I have been having the same thought as you lately. I have to be more realistic with my car now that it has 187,000 miles on it and I don't want to stress it the F out. I drive about 800-900 mile per week. When I first got my car and had the money I would have done the super charger but now with the amount of miles on my car and the fact I want to make it last at least another 100k its not going to happen. The only way I would do it is if I rebuilt the engine first or bought a new engine. If I bought a new engine it would most likely be the Bavarian Engine Exchanges performance engine and I don't think I would SC that.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #164
Midnight Autoworks

Quote:
not to be mean but, cant you test ur equipments on a TI being that we all own TI's here.
I just shipped a kit out to a 318 guy ,Tu quach, he had never heard of this site before so I told him about it , hopefully he can post pics and so on.

But right now, I have to go to the race(Mroadster vs. supercharged 1.9l), were meeting up at 6:30-7ish on okechobee rd. just west of the turn pike, if any one here is in the Miami area and wants to come call me (954)-696-7333.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #165
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfronter
I have been having the same thought as you lately. I have to be more realistic with my car now that it has 187,000 miles on it and I don't want to stress it the F out. I drive about 800-900 mile per week. When I first got my car and had the money I would have done the super charger but now with the amount of miles on my car and the fact I want to make it last at least another 100k its not going to happen. The only way I would do it is if I rebuilt the engine first or bought a new engine. If I bought a new engine it would most likely be the Bavarian Engine Exchanges performance engine and I don't think I would SC that.

If i get a new engine i'd probally look into this acs 2.1L engine and put a custom s/c or turbo on it...

http://www.acschnitzer.com/englisch/...6_englisch.pdf