318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 956,254 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,691 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
JPerfect

Post STORY TIME

I was in this thread before, and it inspired me to tell my tale... but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10553

Friend or Foe?

I come from a town in New Jersey called Wallington, commonly referred to as "Poland on the Passaic." Nearly HALF of the town's population is half polish, and 25% are immigrants. Stereotypically, Polish people have staring problems. I completely agree with that stereotype.

So I'm half Polish, but I'm not accepted in my town because I don't speak the language, I eat steak instead of stuffed cabbage, and I don't like to rudely stare at people.

The largest concentration of "starers" is at the local park, which is quite large in comparison to my town. They all sit on the curb, with their cars blasting Polish Rap Music (HILARIOUS), smoke their cigarettes, and they grill every car that passes by. If it's someone that's old or not of interest to them, they'll simply stare them down. If it's someone like me that makes a scene just to be an ass, or stares back at them... they'll actually turn their WHOLE BODIES around to stare at you as you pass by. It's really really un-nerving at first, since it really portrays hostility to the maximum, and I've had outsider friends complain to me about it, but I think it's one of the funniest things in the world.

Ok, so now that the background has been established and you'll all know what I'm talking about...

When I had my old car, my Hyundai Accent, I would drive by blasting something either cool to me, or really stupid just to piss them off and disrupt their conversations. One time, I was with a friend, and I took out my air filter just to rip by the park in that Hyundai Accent sounding like a really loud go-kart. Needless to say, they didn't like me. I occasionally heard obscenities being thrown at me from the curb. I laughed.

When I got my 318ti a year and a half ago, on a nice, rather mild day, I decided to drive by the park. This time, I didn't blast music, I didn't revv my engine, I didn't speed... I just drove by as anyone normally would.

As I passed, I got looks that you could PHYSICALLY feel from a mile away. Their eyes were CHOKING me. Or trying to. I actually had them all "booing" and cursing at me in polish. (a polish boo is the same as an american boo, just so you know... lol) They were just jealous.

All these kids/people have souped up Civics, Eclipses, Lancers, and CRXs and junk. Sure, they may be faster than my ti, but they look like pieces of colorful ridiculous piles of puke.

Since the park is on my direct path from home to work, and work to home, I drive past it every single day. They aren't always out there, but sometimes they are. I really don't know their patterns... except for the fact that they always come out on a day like today that's beautiful after a rainstorm. As I pass by, their girlfriends/groupies, who are very hot I must say, always stare with them, as expected. I decided to wave to them, and they waved back. Sure, the guys were pissed, but I was all happy.

This went on for about a year. A month or so ago, I was victim of a hit and run that left a big unsightly dent on my rear passenger side fender. It happened in the rain, after a snowstorm. Nothing huge, just cosmetic. The next day, it was beautiful outside, and I was still bummed from the accident, so I didn't get a car wash, in fact I didn't even remember that all of the polocks would be sitting at the park, as I was about to pass by. When they all stared me down, they saw the dent on my car, and it seemed as though they were almost sad. Even though it seemed as though they hated me with a passion, their eyebrows lifted, their jaws dropped, and the girls' hands went over their mouths, as if they were stunned by my beautiful car being marred.

The next day, I passed by and a few of them came up to my window and asked what had happened in broken english. I said some SUV came, hit me, and took off. They asked what it looked like, etc. Then they started asking about my car. Is the engine stock, what kind of exhaust do I have, what's my gear ratio, etc. One kid offered me 6,000 for the car on the spot, but I didn't sell it since I love it to death, and I kinda need a car to get from place to place.

Ever since then, they still stare at me, but not with malice...

It's almost like taking a safari through the African Bush, and having animals stare at you. Friend or foe? You really can't tell until point blank confrontation.

----I just felt like writing a story today guys, enjoy. But it was a true story.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
TiTime

Talking

And the Oscar goes to...

Great story. Too bad about the whole wreck part...
TiTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
monk3y666

Damn - when i get to 80 i hope i got stories like that to tell

(and this too http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10553)

kind of disney - but in a good way
monk3y666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Geez i saw a big story and said to myself oh this must be good. I don't know if it's the last 15 minutes of work putting me to sleep or this story. j/k man.

I guess i could picture this happening,reminds me of some punks in my neighborhood that sit on their stoop and smoke butts all day. Once they see my car coming they all stare me down with hatred and i don't even know them,then i say maybee they are just jealous cause they drive early 90's civics with pvc piping as an exhausts.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
durnadupa

As having relatives who live in Wallington, no not Polish but Ukrainian, I know of those Polish hangout spots. Have you ever been to the Dunkin Donuts on Outwater Lane in Garfield during the night? That will be the largest gathering of Polaks you will ever see, and the "grilling" is even worse there.

There are two guys though who have nice cars, a E36 M3 and a E46 M3, so I guess they have a right to grill when I pull up in my measly Jetta.
durnadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
96cali

needs pics of the polish princes.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

try going to a foreign country (asian at least) and walking around with a girl from there or of their race (when you're white) ... EVERYONE stares at you like you're a space alien, the guys look at you like you're robbing their sacred jewels ... as you said, it does become funny after awhile. i had fun staring them down, most asian people can't take it and look away.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
JPerfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by durnadupa
As having relatives who live in Wallington, no not Polish but Ukrainian, I know of those Polish hangout spots. Have you ever been to the Dunkin Donuts on Outwater Lane in Garfield during the night? That will be the largest gathering of Polaks you will ever see, and the "grilling" is even worse there.

There are two guys though who have nice cars, a E36 M3 and a E46 M3, so I guess they have a right to grill when I pull up in my measly Jetta.

YES, I know of it, and you are right. The grilling is unsurpassed.

Mainly on weekends before all of the poles go to the club.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote