318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,658 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,679 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,924 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
tengohambre

Default my door won't open anymore

So before I headed home today I realized that my driver's side door doesn't open any more. This is mainly due to my door panel coming off and messing with the lock. It's a very sad story. I took my car to the BMW dealership by my house about a year ago to get my air conditioning recharged and while it was there, one of the employees backed another car into the driver's side door. When I got it back, I found out that they did a horrible job repairing it.

The first thing that I noticed was that when opening the window, it was making a thumping sound. It turns out that they put a wrong screw in or something and it was scratching my window. They changed the screw, but I think that it still wasn't right because there was a scratch on my tint that got progressivly worse, until I ended up taking it off.

Besides from the wrong screw, my window fell in a few months after the incident. Although the dealership took a look at it and decided it wasn't their fault and charged me $200 to fix it, I assume that the part that broke may have been damaged when they hit my car.

Another symptom of their horrible fix is that my door panel kept on falling off. I took it back 3 times and they just told me that it pops out. I decided to take a look at it a few months ago and it turns out that when they removed my door panel to fix my door, one of the clips came off and they glued it back on in the wrong place. It was only slightly off, but it was enough so that the clip didn't want to stay in the hole.

Does anyone happen to know a good way to realign the clip to the metal hole in the door? From what I remember, I cannot simply glue it back into the original impression of the clip where the oem glue is. Also, poping the clip into the door and trying to push the panel with glue onto the clip does not work as well.
tengohambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
angel318ti

glue on the door panel clips? My door panels are also held on by clips but they are not glued on. they screw on. are all your clips like that? if they are take the door panel to the dealer and slap one of the mechanics over the head with it.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
SDKmann

Wow that really sucks. You should threaten to sue th dealership and see if they will fix it right then.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
jetblackbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann
Wow that really sucks. You should threaten to sue th dealership and see if they will fix it right then.
Ditto

I recently found out the drivers side door had been taped on. 2 actual clips holding it. Well there is 500 for another door panel, started to tear with all the wear from closing. Had to replace the passenger side earlier in the year due to a mechanic that wouldn't fix it. I brushed it off, you shouldn't. Get on their ass and stay on. If they hit your door, IMO, you should have a brand new door from the dealer. That is what I would go for. Always good to get a lawyer on the phone with them, solves a lot of problems, they do.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
tengohambre

when I say glue, I mean at the other end. There's the metal hole in the actual door. Then there's the white plastic rivit things that pop into the holes in the door. Those are attached to black plastic holders. And the holders are glued to the door panel. Those black plastic holders came off and were glued back on in the wrong place.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the dealership won't do anything about it, since it was such a long time ago and since they refused to do anything when I orginally asked them to.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
jetblackbimmer

You're in a bit of a pickle then. Where you live?

Call a lawyer and see if yuou have a case.If he says you do, then get on them. Start hounding them. That is what I would do.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
tengohambre

I live in the Valley, so I'm like half an hour away from you. If you really wanted to, I guess you can consult a lawyer for me, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. I'm sure there's some statute of limitations that wouldn't hold them responsible for damages any more. Also, the door panel is relatively cheap to replace and if I did go to court, it would go to small claims. A lawyer would probably cost between $50- couple hundred an hour, so it would be cheaper for me to just buy a new panel.

On a separate note, I took off my panel today so the door is functioning again. I need to get some epoxy tomorrow and hopefully it will stay on this time. I'll end up fixing it myself, just the whole ordeal made me a little upset.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
jetblackbimmer

I forget that not everyone knows someone. You really got to go out and make friends with the right people. I got a couple lawyer friends that have saved my ass and my wallet. What dealer?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
tengohambre

Bob Smith. They are in Calabasas