318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 949,061 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
hotmilk400

Default REMOTE START

since i could not find a detailed topic about it, i am going to talk about it now.

as you might have known, i had my bimmer up for sale, and bought a focus....... 1 week later, i sold the focus, and kept the BMW... haha ( similar situation happened with a girlfriend, lasted one week.. haha)

anyway, i had bought a remote start for the focus, and i plan on installing it in the bimmer.. did anyone attempt this, and what issues did you run into when installing it, if any. it should be straight forward enough, if BMW was like any other car, but i am hesitate, and wanted a heads up.

i have a 98 318ti with a security package (alarm and keyless entry). it should be a hack and splice job, but i know one time when a friend was doing it on a Jetta, adding a remote start would make the window wipers turn on and off after starting..he is also a professional, and installed about 50ish or more remote starts now. i came later, and helped him trace every wire, had the entire dash off, and nothing.. nothing was wired wrong, something with the computer not liking the remote start (the remote start worked fine btw)

anyway, i already bought the transponder bypass to get around the key issue at the ignition, and i have a manual remote starter.

so, my question is, are there any problems with it, like does the BMW reject them or is it alright? my friend said he did it in a very limited number of BMWs and said it should be alright for most models.

any tips would also be greatly appreciated.

anyway,
this also gives me a chance to install more speakers, and check on the old ones, and maybe run wires for 3rd amp.. since the interior is going to be removed anyway. .. as of now, i have 18.1 speakers. when i do this, i will be adding 8 more infinity speakers, probably in the back.. haha.. thats going to be 26.1 speakers.. haha =] happy happy holidays. its compensation, not going to lie.. haha

.. also, if i think about it, i will post a DIY when i am done..

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
S.F.bayti

I have remote start. Never any problems so far. Mine is a 96 automatic. I would say just just don't put auto start on a manual. The only problem you might have is turning your car into a big magnet with all that sound.
S.F.bayti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

sweet, glad you kept it
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
hotmilk400

the remote start is made for a manual car, so no worries about it driving away.. haha.

haha.. i like speakers, what can i say..

... yeah, i really like the way bmw handels. but the focus can peel rubber in 1st, keep peeling after you shift into 2nd, and sometimes i can get it to peel after shifting into 3rd.. haha thats 0 - 45, and spinning the tires the entire time... but its also like 500 pounds lighter then the BMW, and the same HP.. but it has all the power BEFORE 3k RPMS, and BMW has power AFTER 3k rpms.. so like.. its hard to go over 70MPH in it.. and the top speed on the focus is only 105 and then it shuts off,.. haha..

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
pnosker

500 lbs lighter? No way... the ti is only like 2700 lbs with driver/full of fluids
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
hotmilk400

the 318ti curb weight is 2894 pounds

the focus sudan is 2545 lbs, but i dont know the weight of the hatchback that i have, probally less since no trunk and smaller. thats atleast 345 pounds less.

bmw is 0 - 60 in 10 sec
focus is 9 sec..

but i like the bmw better becuase the focus is front wheel drive, and it pulls funny when you make hard turns.. i dunno.. plus bimmer has sunroof and heated seats

Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Focus vs. 318ti? Seems like a simple question to me: which one would I rather be driving while involved in a crash? But, I'm old and no longer immortal. LOL

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
nakadian

It's a funny dilemma fucus vs 318ti? And i dont think its 10 seconds 0-60.. Someone posted here somewhere that he did 8.4 with one set of wheels and a little bit slower with other set. But i think around 8.4 seems legit.
About the remote start.. I have a 98 too and had the remote start since I bought it.. I think its been installed long time ago. Works just fine on my automatic, but the remote got messed up!!! I'm trying to find a little soft metal plate cuz the one that holds the battery broke. haha
nakadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
pnosker

I did sub 9 seconds in my brother's 96 active ti with blizzaks on steelies. On my last ti with slight mods (chip, exhaust, K&N) I pulled a 7.1 sec.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
nakadian

What chip did you put in it? It sounds a good deal with the chip but can't find one for the m44 motor. And I have K&N which only improves response on the automatic.. i dont think my car is faster.. shifts way better.. and I do need an exhaust.. do you know how much hp you have after your upgrades?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
pnosker

I think it was a Powerchip. The PO put it in that ti. If I did it I would get Technique Tuning's tune. www.techniquetuning.com
Dinan has both a transmission upgrade as well as a chip which is a good help. It changes the shift pattern and makes you more competitive with the manuals.

I doubt everything together gave me more than 5 hp at the peak but it definitely improved throttle response and raised torque at non-peak regions (low end, higher end).
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
nakadian

damn all that we do on our cars for so little the best upgrade... drop the m3 engine haha