318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 232 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,949 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
stalnakerz

Default Thinking about a 96 318ti, any pointers

I'm going in the morning to possibly buy a 96 31ti, automatic, 117000mi. It has the M-tec emblems on the side, but I'm not sure if it's actually an M-tec or not and not sure how to tell. I've looked at the car before and know it needs new hatch struts, interior moldings around doorhandles, etc... and the motor has a ping when it is idling. From what I've found online, this usually means a bad o2 sensor or EGR valve. Not sure how much the EGR costs to replace but O2 is like 150 for parts.

The dealer is asking 6000, but according to Edmunds it should be selling for between 3 and 4. Anything else I should definitely take a look at before buying it? Also, how hard is the motor to rebuild on these? Since this is going to be my commuter car for a while, I want to be able to work on it myself.
stalnakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

You might want to look at the sticky at the top of this section.
I don't know why you think an 02 sensor means a bad 02 sensor.
Hatch struts become weak in the cold.
The headliners are starting to sag.
Lower and raise the windows. Look to see that there is no bulge in the door panel. These cars have window regulator problems, but it's fixable.

If it has the M-tech package it's a Sport. You should have sport seats too.
The front bumper looks like a lux M3. The rear has a black valence.
Wheels should be 16" 5 spokers.

Why would you want to rebuild the motor?
They are very reliable. Just keep an eye on the radiator.
If you had to rebuild a motor you'd be better off doing a swap anyway.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
stalnakerz

I read the sticky (missed it originally, thanks).
I'll definitely check the B-pillar. How big of a problem is the tape peeling on it and does that usually cause other problems?
the Hatch struts are pretty much shot on this one. It was 90 outside when I was looking at it and it wouldn't stay up at all. I know it's an easy fix, but it's also a bargaining point.
the door panels are going to be difficult to determine as someone put in a custom sound system so it's not seating correctly at all. Is there a way to tell if the regulator is going out when running the window up and down? I know on the Jetta I owned a few years back it was an instant failure when the regulators went out.

I didn't notice the headliner hanging, but will take a very good look at it tomorrow. I'm guessing that it's not difficult to replace but probably very time consuming with the sunroof.

I was asking if the motor was easy to rebuild as usually if they're easy to rebuild, they're very easy to work on as well. Plus if something does happen to it, I'd use it as a project to show my 2 young sons how to work on cars. I watched my dad rebuild one when I was young and had a love of mechanics and engineering since.

Did the 96 have a rear deck lid under the hatch? I don't remember seeing one on this car but not sure if it was supposed to or not.
stalnakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalnakerz View Post
I'll definitely check the B-pillar. How big of a problem is the tape peeling on it and does that usually cause other problems?
The fix was either to remove it or paint it black.
Some colors look better matching the body paint. The put the tape right over the paint.

Quote:
the Hatch struts are pretty much shot on this one. It was 90 outside when I was looking at it and it wouldn't stay up at all. I know it's an easy fix, but it's also a bargaining point.
There are also stronger struts you can get. There is a strut used when you have a spoiler that might be stiffer.

Quote:
the door panels are going to be difficult to determine as someone put in a custom sound system so it's not seating correctly at all. Is there a way to tell if the regulator is going out when running the window up and down? I know on the Jetta I owned a few years back it was an instant failure when the regulators went out.
These panels get loose. I got to fix mine for good one of these days. I may just screw them to the door. To tell if the regulator is bad, you will see the door panel move. If the panel is already very loose, it will be hard to tell.
Quote:
I didn't notice the headliner hanging, but will take a very good look at it tomorrow. I'm guessing that it's not difficult to replace but probably very time consuming with the sunroof.
I don't think it's hard to replace. You do need to remove the front seats though. Look towards the rear of the roof and near the overhead handles.
Quote:
I was asking if the motor was easy to rebuild as usually if they're easy to rebuild, they're very easy to work on as well. Plus if something does happen to it, I'd use it as a project to show my 2 young sons how to work on cars. I watched my dad rebuild one when I was young and had a love of mechanics and engineering since.
There are people here that can answer that better than I. More likely you will get many reliable miles from the motor.
Quote:
Did the 96 have a rear deck lid under the hatch? I don't remember seeing one on this car but not sure if it was supposed to or not.
Yes. It is on hinges and secured with strings to the rear window. It also muffles some of the sounds from the rear.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
The fix was either to remove it or paint it black.
Some colors look better matching the body paint. The put the tape right over the paint.

Quote:
There are also stronger struts you can get. There is a strut used when you have a spoiler that might be stiffer.

Quote:
These panels get loose. I got to fix mine for good one of these days. I may just screw them to the door. To tell if the regulator is bad, you will see the door panel move. If the panel is already very loose, it will be hard to tell.
Quote:
I don't think it's hard to replace. You do need to remove the front seats though. Look towards the rear of the roof and near the overhead handles.
Quote:
There are people here that can answer that better than I. More likely you will get many reliable miles from the motor.
Quote:
Yes. It is on hinges and secured with strings to the rear window. It also muffels some of the sounds from the rear.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org