318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 960,186 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,836 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
aceyx

Default Using a Rug Doctor to clean your upholstery

I did this several weeks ago, but I've been rather busy and couldn't get photos up until now. They are in my gallery, and you can see the results: http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=816

The stain in the backseat has been there since 2003, the result of takeout leaking through the bag. Since my ti is a daily driver, it's been on ski trips, beach trips, camping trips, pretty much anywhere it can get gross. On occasion, I've left the windows open parking outside. The pictures show about 10 years of accumulated filth, which came out with the water (the first picture).

I really wish I had done this sooner. In fact, I plan on doing it again since I ran out of chemicals when I'd finished the first pass on the front seats (the rear really needed a lot of work). I'm very impressed with how well this worked, and how inexpensive it was.

You'll need to rent the Rug Doctor and the upholstery wand, and purchase the upholstery cleaner and anti-foam. Everything together was about $35. I'd actually suggest getting twice the amount of chemicals, as you'll probably want to go over areas more than once.

I did not experience any discoloration using the chemicals, but then again I don't think anywhere in my car was the original color anymore. YMMV.

A few tips:

1. Allocate an entire day for this. The more time you take doing this, the better results you'll end up with. The lower part of the rear seats alone took a few hours. You'll also probably need this to dry overnight as well. I cracked opened the trunk, shut off the light (pull on the switch), and opened the windows about 1/3 with a box fan inside. Feel around the footwells to make sure air is getting down there too, and adjust the fan as necessary.

2. Soak areas with the solution enough for the color of the fabric to darken. Slowly pull the vacuum wand over the upholstery until you don't get bubbles rising out of the fabric. Overlap at least 1/2" with each pass, as the solution "bleeds" by capillary action. I did one pass vertically, one pass horizontally.

3. I then soaked the areas again, with a vertical pass and a horizontal pass. I pulled as much solution out of the fabric as possible after that.

4. Make sure your wand is getting good suction. I used duct tape on the sides to ensure all the vacuum was concentrated on the open end of the wand. Some areas are difficult to get, as the wand doesn't completely cover it. Tilt the wand, or use a finger covering the open part of the suction.

5. Anti-foam works best when the foam coming through the hose drops onto water. My garage floor is slanted, so I had to move the machine around.

6. Earplugs are a MUST. These machines are loud.

7. Keep towels around at the bottom of where you're working. The solution will often foam up and drip.

8. There are some parts that are inaccessible by both the spray nozzle and the vacuum part of the wand; namely, the edges/corners of the footwells and around the accelerator pedal. On the next run, I plan on using a spray bottle, narrow handbrush and a shop-vac with a micro-cleaning attachment kit.

I give my experience with this machine and its effectiveness a big thumbs up. Price was low, but easily worth more.

I'll field any questions you might have.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
thesk8nmidget

sweet! i will have to try this thanks to my lame brother getting in after working all day getting horrible grease stains on my seats, the seats WERE like new 1 week ago
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
hairyauman

I've been using a Rug Doctor for a few years but never in my car. Not sure why I didn't think to use it. Thanks for the tutorial.
hairyauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
thesk8nmidget

i bought a mini carpet cleaner and it worked AWESOME!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
seattlebest947

I used Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner. They were a little expensive, but they did a great job and I think it was worth it!

seattle carpet cleaning
seattlebest947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Couverman

I use my bissell .... Works like a charm
Couverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead

The rear seat base comes out way to easy to work on it in the car... Or let it dry in there... Same with the front seats...

Just my .002 cents worth...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Crashaddict

Vehicles

MightyCarMods did a tutorial on this a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNMAm...e_gdata_playermaaad

Eurotary 313ti-Rx coming soon.....soon is a relative term
Crashaddict is offline   Reply With Quote