318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,018,523 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #16
DJ Skillz 187

Testing this with real-life driving isn't really an accurate test.
You may accelerate faster this week than last, get stuck in more traffic, do more stop and go driving than freeway driving, etc...

Ideally it should be tested with a metered gas container and with a car run on a dyno, set at a constant rpm.
Unless the test results are absolutely amazingly different, it's not really an accurate test.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I'm really skeptical about these gas-saving tricks.. hell, just look at the "Tornado".
For $30, you get an intake restriction... "But it swirls your intake air!" Sure.

I think if this actually did work, it would already be marketed or used as a gasoline additive.
DJ Skillz 187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
adamud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Skillz 187 View Post
Testing this with real-life driving isn't really an accurate test.
You may accelerate faster this week than last, get stuck in more traffic, do more stop and go driving than freeway driving, etc...
I see what your getting at, but in my truck, gas mileage barely varies no matter what I do. When I pull a trailer all summer with the a/c on and 700+lbs of mowers on the back, my gas mileage is still somewhere around 8-10mpg. I've gone on countless tanks of gas without going over 2000rpm's. It still did not make a difference in my gas mileage. I'm pretty sure I will notice some difference IF the acetone does anything.I also know for a fact that I have never gotten over 12mpg EVER. So if I obtain 13mpg, then I will say that acetone does do something. The only time when the mpg changes drastically is when I engage the 4x4.

I'm not exactly sure why your the one nah-saying it. Your not the one testing it!
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Come on guys...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

When in doubt, go to snopes.com and type it in. Everything on the internet is not real, even if it has a video to back it up.

Even if the mpg gains were real, one slip of the bottle will eat the paint and clear coat off your car, costing HUNDREDS to repair.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
BMW95318TI

Well, that sucks! I was hoping this was the answer to all my curiosity. Oh well on to the next thing. Thanks for the info though.
BMW95318TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Badong

Didn't the Mythbusters Do something on this already? :-)
Badong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #21
Will'sBimmer

the only things that mythbusters found was that u could run a diesel engine on used cooking oil. They did it with an old Diesel Benz.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #22
Badong

Ahh found it. :-)

Not sure if I can post a link as a link yet ...

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/05/e...onspiracy.html
Badong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #23
tiFreak

Vehicles

yeah, I think the mythbusters are a more reliable source than some video off the internet
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreek View Post
yeah, I think the mythbusters are a more reliable source than some video off the internet
The other day, they were trying to stop a bullet with magnets. Any idiot knows that bullets are made of lead with a copper coating I'm sure they knew it wouldn't work, but they spent all of that money to produce a show that would confirm that it didn't work.

I'll waste a buck to find out if acetone will help me save gas. If it gets me an extra couple miles down the road, I'll be happy. If it doesn't work, then I only lost a buck.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #25
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
The other day, they were trying to stop a bullet with magnets. Any idiot knows that bullets are made of lead with a copper coating
well they were only doing that because they were testing stuff from James Bond movies, and they did find that it didn't work
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #26
PettitWC

mythbusters cracks me up sometimes with some of their under planned and under researched projects but I still love the show

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
haseeb718

so did it work?
haseeb718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #28
Manimillion

I thought half the stuff on that video was common sense (taking weight off and keeping tires at the proper inflation level)...

I donno about adding asetone and shutting the car off though. I'm happy with my gas mileage, no need to put addetives in my gas can that have un precedented results for the sake of saving a dollar or two.
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
adamud

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb718 View Post
so did it work?
Well, I guess you could say it worked. Two days after I started the "test" it decided to snow. So that meant more weight(plow, sand/salt) and four wheel drive. That was for around half a tank, then it was back to regular driving. In the end when I refilled and calculated what my mpg were, it was 12.6mpg. That is actually very good considering how much time I spent in four wheel drive and with an extra ton of weight.

I haven't continued the use of acetone since then to see if I could attain better results.
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #30
DJ Skillz 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
well they were only doing that because they were testing stuff from James Bond movies, and they did find that it didn't work
Well, technically it did work, they just needed some HUGE magnets to be able to deflect the bullet. The myth was whether the magnet would fit inside a wristwatch, and that was busted.

It's funny that the mythbusters test some of these myths that are ridiculously obvious to most people.. but, of course, it's all for entertainment.. you know damn well they already know the outcome.
Oh, and there's a lot of stupid people out there.
DJ Skillz 187 is offline   Reply With Quote