318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 989,520 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
HuGo

Default MAF Intake Setup Help

Just got off the phone. So its $899 for the stage 3. All i need to buy i guess is the MAF 3" and i need my own intake setup. I was just about to ask where i can get the intake setup from, cuz i would need everything after the MAF to be 3" and the air filter, but i remembered i still have my Cosmo intake. I measured it and its 3" so i got that outta the way. Now the only thing i need to buy is the 10psi pulley and the MAF. Anyone know whats the one i need? I think its the 95' M3 or from a 325 but i dont know what year.

Can anyone tell me which one of these measurements is the 10 psi pulley on this website? http://www.pulleyboys.com/bmw.html

Thanks for all help. If anyone has a good condition MAF, im interested in buying it. Aslong as you dont jib me and full me into being a different kind i dont need

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
HuGo

Ok so now i know what i need from as far as the MAF from what year. I called pulleyboys and the only one they carry now is the 3.4 Pulley. I dont know if this is the one i need? Is this the 10psi pulley, and is this the one i can use with the stg 3 tuning?

As a consideration, i will post a dyno with AFR once i get the tuning/pulley/exhaust together at once lol

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
HuGo

whats the difference between MAF and HFM? I got offered one from a 94 325 for 40 bucks shipped.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Last edited by HuGo; 12-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
mohaughn

You know.. Every question you just asked can be found on here by searching... And since the tuning is specific to the output of the MAF, why not ask TT what part number to get? Kind of makes sense to ask the vendor that is providing the tuning exactly what you need.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
You know.. Every question you just asked can be found on here by searching... And since the tuning is specific to the output of the MAF, why not ask TT what part number to get? Kind of makes sense to ask the vendor that is providing the tuning exactly what you need.
I have searched. Thats how i found out what year and make/model i need the MAF from because i found it when NickG posted it. But i cant find the numbers size for the pulley. Now i got an offer for a HFM, is an HFM a mass air flow (MAF)?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

3.4" pulley will likely be 12psi.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
3.4" pulley will likely be 12psi.
I called chad. He said he only had the 3.2 pulleys left. And he mentioned it was like a 15psi pulley. And he said the 3.4 is more likely an 11psi pulley. So correct me if im wrong dusten, i assume the 3.6 is the 10psi pulley you have, and the one i need? If pulleyboys dont have any, where else can i find one of these?

There will be no point in me going stage 3 if i cant get the 10psi pulley. If i cant get this pulley, then ill most likely go with stage 2. And now that i see it this way, im not sure if 850 is worth for 12 HP? Either way im still getting it because i wont be buying this with my own money. But im aiming for the stage 3 + pulley.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
pdxmotorhead

Worst case is you have one machined for about 100 bucks....

You think too much

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Worst case is you have one machined for about 100 bucks....

You think too much

Dave
I think the 3.4 is the one i need. For 4 reasons. I think ive read (and been searching for this thread but cant find it) dusten saying he has the 3.4. I remember because i remember it was the middle one if the site i needed. Ive been reading in bfc, and it seems alot of people have the 3.4 and saying they are pushing 9-10psi. And third, i read that chad said the 3.4 is a 11psi pulley but its a little less on the m44 because of the crank pulley situation so i would guess it would lower from 11 to 10. And pulley boys only carry the 3.4. I would assume they only carry this size cuz its the most favorited one and a lot of people with the dasc have this size pulley and a lot in their post always mentioned 9-10psi. I pmed a few people in bfc. So hopefully by tommorow, i will purchase the pulley and the MAF. And then i will order the tuning after i put on the stromung exhaust.

Of coarse im thinking to much. I dont want to blow another engine.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I have a 3.6" pulley.

Nobody is going to tell you what pulley to run because if they tell you the wrong one, you could blow your motor. I have a '97 m44 and the 3.6" pulley is about 9.5psi. Depending on the condition of your blower, that could be 8psi or 12psi. The only way to find out is to try it.

Pulley's need to be custom made. Pulley boys should be able to make one for you.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
I have a 3.6" pulley.

Nobody is going to tell you what pulley to run because if they tell you the wrong one, you could blow your motor. I have a '97 m44 and the 3.6" pulley is about 9.5psi. Depending on the condition of your blower, that could be 8psi or 12psi. The only way to find out is to try it.

Pulley's need to be custom made. Pulley boys should be able to make one for you.
Hhmm. I was going to purchase the 3.4 but good thing i didnt. I decided to call again. Custom pulley said could be from 250-350 dollars But some how we started talking some more and i told the lady, well you guys used to sell it so im sure you guys have measurements of how it is or so. So she said, hold on let me take a look. Next thing you know BAM she found a 3.6. I told her i was told yesterday all they had left was 3.4. She was apologizing and what not and im like as long its a 3.6 i want to order it. So there you go, i got my pulley mailed on its way. Thanks to her i got it. Good person, her name is Ilaisha (or something) and if you guys need pulleys, talk to her. She was saying she had a whole box full of em. I also got my MAF on its way. Bring It On Stage 3! Thanks dusten for months of finally clarifying the size

Edit: Dusten, you mentioned that you still used the same belt that was provided with the dasc kit?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
HuGo

I just got my pulley. I also got a free pen. I dont know, kind looks like the same size. But hard to tell when one pulley is off, and one is one. Ill compare them once i get the other one taken out. What size is the regular one? Now just waiting for my MAF and exhaust and ill be ordering the stg 3. Keep in tune guys. I hope you didnt lie to my dusten

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
I hope you didnt lie to my dusten
Why do you think I didn't tell you what size you needed? I can't be held liable for what YOU DO!

There are lots of different combinations of crank pulleys and DASC pulleys. I told you what I'm using, not what you should use. If it doesn't work, oh well, try a different one. If you really want to know, you need to do the math, the calculations are readily available online. Again, do your research first, buy the part second.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
mohaughn

I would also say that you need a functional boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge before you try to step up to high boost levels. I know you may have put them in, but I think most of us still question if your DASC is functioning properly. Putting more fuel, and more boost into something that isn't right to begin with could cause some major problems.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
saintly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I would also say that you need a functional boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge before you try to step up to high boost levels. I know you may have put them in, but I think most of us still question if your DASC is functioning properly. Putting more fuel, and more boost into something that isn't right to begin with could cause some major problems.
+1
H&R coil overs & sway bars, Big brakes
saintly is offline   Reply With Quote