318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 409,389 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 950 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,030 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 926 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,165 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Default powdercoated calipers with brass bushings

ok ... looks like i'll have to throw it in my photo gallery or something. way over my attachment limit and i'm not figuring out how to imbed an image

dammit, even in the gallery they're shrinky-dinked

link to gallery pic
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Brass bushing bad for the street since they will be getting dirty.
I installed them and had one seize on me because I made it too tight.
They now live in my tool box.

You powder coated the piston?

I need to figure a way to add a link to the gallery right from the side profile box.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

doh ... too bad nobody responded to tell me that the two previous times i asked.

how long before they seized? what do you mean by "made it too tight"?

i had the exposed lip and inside of the piston powdercoated, yes.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 05-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

They seized the first time I applied moderate brakes. Unfortuantely I was 50 miles from home and had to drive another 5 hours before returning.
It was MY fault I am told that I made them too tight. My pins did not come with instructions so I tightened the pin like I would any other. I think it was too much. The threads aren't as long. I think the concept of them is good. The down side is there is no protection to the elements. I don't know anyone who is running them on solely on the street. I'm sure they work because I can see slight nicks in my stock guide pins, I assume from hard braking.

Edit: I changed the gallery setting to allow images 1000x1000.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

pins attach to the brake carrier so i don't see how making them tight would cause that. hmmm. i used 400 grit sandpaper inside the sleeves on the calipers to remove some paint that spilled into there when they powdercoated so the brass bushings slide/turn freely. the pins should be a fairly tight fit inside the brass. the part of the guide pin closest to the brake carrier is normally exposed to the elements anyway, the only part the rubber bushings would appear to protect would be the hex key end (protecting them from junk coming in that side).

i had ordered the rubber bushing kits (but only 4 guide pins) before i decided to order the brass kits so i basically have both here. now the question is, do i try the brass?

thanks for your input steven, better to know before i install them.

anyone else tried these on the street?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
pins attach to the brake carrier so i don't see how making them tight would cause that. hmmm.
No idea either. I can't get the pin out of the brass bushing. I had to unclip it and pull the whole thing out. The guide pins stick out pretty far once installed. The rubber bushing covers it all up.

BTW- Just by replacing the rubber bushings makes a big difference in how easy the guide pins slide.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 05-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
I'm sure they work because I can see slight nicks in my stock guide pins, I assume from hard braking.

Edit: I changed the gallery setting to allow images 1000x1000.
were these the guide pins you were using with the brass bushings? if so, i'm not using the brass! no way they should nick the guide pins and i could certainly see where that could cause a binding issue. if not from the brass bushing, how are they getting nicked?

what did you lube the guide pin/brass bushing with when you installed them? were the brass bushings tight in the caliper (like tight enough you had to pound them in or use a significant amount of force to get them installed) or did they slide in and rotate easily once in the caliper? where did you get your brass bushing kit from?

thanks for increasing the max size in the gallery

Old 05-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
96cali

Please be sure to post pics when they're installed. They look freakin awesome! Where did you get them done? Did they do the cleaning and masking? How much $$ did it cost?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
were these the guide pins you were using with the brass bushings? if so, i'm not using the brass! no way they should nick the guide pins and i could certainly see where that could cause a binding issue. if not from the brass bushing, how are they getting nicked?

what did you lube the guide pin/brass bushing with when you installed them? were the brass bushings tight in the caliper (like tight enough you had to pound them in or use a significant amount of force to get them installed) or did they slide in and rotate easily once in the caliper? where did you get your brass bushing kit from?

thanks for increasing the max size in the gallery
I used the guide pins that came with the kit. You can't use the stock BMW pins. The nicked pins I am talking about are my current stock ones. I don't recall if I used lube. They seemed to slide in very easily. I bushings went in pretty easily although I had to tap them lightly because of some dirt buildup I guess.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 05-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

well, just for safety and longevity, i'm going back to the stock rubber bushings in my case, the pins slide in LESS easily with those. i wouldn't mind trying the brass at some later time (like when i have another car to rely on if the ti is down for maintenance).

thanks for the heads up steven. i'll report more, with pics, once i get things rolling. spent last night cleaning up some of the old guide pins and getting the rubber bushings installed.

96cali, i got them powdercoated at motorsport powdercoating in delavan, WI. detailed costs were as follows:

brake calipers: $35/each
brake carriers (brackets): $15/each
pistons (cups - tops/inside ONLY): $5/ea
sandblast & strip: $30

i know there was a fee to bring in the paint because they didn't have the anthracite i wanted, then taxes, etc ... total was just shy of $300.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
L84THSKY

Hey Eric

Glad you made a nice set of pics on your LSD install. I hate hearing all this talk about how an install went, with no pictures.

Was the issue with grinding on the diff more related to the finned cover, or would a 6 cylinder diff with a standard cover require grinding? I'm approaching this whole swap with kid gloves. Not even considering it till I find the diff I want, and have ALL of the facts, can't afford down time.

Does that shim you made work good? Did you make a trace template for it, I would like to make some too, when I do the swap?

About these brass bushings, I bought a new front and rear set from a guy on this site. haven't installed them yet. These coated calipers that you installed, these are for the front....correct?

I would like to get a definitive answer on these brass bushings, before I put them in. I'm waiting till I need to replace my pads to do that swap.

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
well, just for safety and longevity, i'm going back to the stock rubber bushings in my case, the pins slide in LESS easily with those. i wouldn't mind trying the brass at some later time (like when i have another car to rely on if the ti is down for maintenance).

thanks for the heads up steven. i'll report more, with pics, once i get things rolling. spent last night cleaning up some of the old guide pins and getting the rubber bushings installed.

96cali, i got them powdercoated at motorsport powdercoating in delavan, WI. detailed costs were as follows:

brake calipers: $35/each
brake carriers (brackets): $15/each
pistons (cups - tops/inside ONLY): $5/ea
sandblast & strip: $30

i know there was a fee to bring in the paint because they didn't have the anthracite i wanted, then taxes, etc ... total was just shy of $300.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

as you read, i've decided not to use the brass bushings for the time being. i would like to revisit them in the future and will keep all the parts for that purpose.

i got a used set of e36 325/8 calipers and a used set of 318ti rear calipers. blew out the pistons with compressed air in the hose inlet (put a piece of wood on the other side of the caliper to protect the piston when it SHOOTS out), then finished disassembly and took all the parts to the powdercoater. this way, i'm putting completely rebuilt and powdercoated front and rear calipers on at the same time (along with all new parking brake parts, pads, rotors and hoses). getting the old parking brake cables out is another story which i'll post at a future time. it wasn't pleasant, but we developed some good tools/strategies for overcoming the obstacles

i'll reply to the diff related questions in the thread where i posted the pics to my gallery.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

L8, i asked my shop about using the brass bushings. he said they need to be tended too fairly often (more maintenance intensive). how often do you want to be getting under your car to check/lube your guide pin bushings? if you're like me, you want to do the job and then be done with it (knowing that it's done right). thanks to steven's warning/info, i'm sticking with stock rubber bushings (see updated pics in my gallery post rebuild, complete with new hoses and speed bleeders).