318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 351,882 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #31
pdxmotorhead

As a guy who takes care of about 12 track cars on any given race weekend I can tell you the average driver has a LOOOONG list of stuff to worry about before messing with heel&toe techniques... There is no real advantage to rushing to shift fast in road racing, it usually just tears up cars and drivetrain parts. My personal technique is to roll off the throttle and push the stick to neutral, then push the clutch in and put it in the selected gear. By moving out of the gear without the clutch you automatically get a "blip" and the gears all spin up, then going in to the next gear they click right in. It also forces a smooth shift.

But there are 30 more opinions or more on this than people on the internet.. Good luck!

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #32
iqvkucuh

heel and toe is very power thing to do during a racing, but i dont recomend people doing it during the normal driving, i have my own experice, once i start doing it, i forgot look at the street and pay more attention on my foot, so...
but if you wanna slow down quickly but not using heel and toe, you can just rev then downshift, but remember do as quickly as possible, cuz your engine has so more power, it works very well, but not as well as heel and toe, and if you wanna do heel and toe, remember practice at freeway or some empty spots, that wont cause any accidents!!!
iqvkucuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #33
scabzzzz

Ok.... coming from the JDM crowd and straight into a motor swapped BMW, I can say its very acquired. I wear a size 11 shoe and im using 325 regular leather seats. Yes, having a more agressive seat will help you. Yes, have better pedals like the ///M pedals will help because they have the rubber strips down them. I've found that if I toe press the brake too light I have too much rev. If i toe press the brake too hard, not enough rev. Work on adjusting the angle of your foot first with the brake. Learn to control the brake pedal with your foot at that angle and then start working on the throttle blip. The reason why its so weird in BMW's is how the throttle pedal lies. Having a big foot and being tall doesnt help but its nothing you cant overcome. Another thing that will help is a different steering wheel so you can move your leg more. My right leg always busts the steering column.

Hope that helps.

Mmm..
scabzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote