318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,021,718 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #421
trikzta

Vehicles

Dude very nice

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #422
Earl

Vehicles

I started yesterday but removing my old front lines, all of the pads, and then the carriers.

I will be removing the pistons from the calipers today. Yesterday I couldn't find a rubber tipped air nozzle to be able to blow them out with compressed air.

I got the carriers all cleaned up and ready for powder too.

I looked into the pricing for the carrier bushings, carrier guides, anti-rattle clips, bleeders, and new mounting bolts and was blown away.

It is about $200 to buy sets for both the front and the back. There are brass carrier bushings that end up costing almost $20 less when getting everything else. They take away the side to side give that the rubber bushings have, making the pads wear flatter under hard braking. They aren't really neccessary for me since I won't be pushing my brakes to the limit, but I am not sure if it will hurt upgrading to them to cut down on cost. In my head upgrading sounds like it makes sense instead of paying more for factory bushings.

Has anyone ran brass carrier bushings on their calipers? This is turning into an overpriced nightmare=P

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohb View Post
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #423
Earl

Vehicles

I started yesterday by rounding up a rubber tipped air nozzle. I got the pistons to pop right out.

I saw how nasty the face of the pistons were so I figured they could use some cleaning up.

Only one has a good bit of corrosion.

I think it should be fine since I wasn't having any issues with it before rebuilding these.

I dropped the caliper bodies in the parts cleaner yesterday to get all of the brake fluid out of the bore. I then stopped by the hardware store last night and grabbed some rubber plugs to block off the holes for the piston and brake line while they get sandblasted/powdercoated. I should be able to get them nice and clean by the end of today=)

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 AM   #424
Earl

Vehicles

I managed to finish cleaning up the calipers today.

I can't wait to see them satin black =)

I will be out at the shop Saturday. My buddy Kyle will be making it out and I am hoping to accomplish something.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #425
Earl

Vehicles

My buddy Kyle had to work again this weekend so no progress was made on the bay.

I got out to the shop on Sunday.

The calipers, carriers, and knuckles where picked up to get powdercoated.

I also traded a set of Style 5 barrels I had laying around for the battery cables from an e36. This makes moving my battery to the hatch basically plug and play.

I started off by removing my hood latches so that I can clean them up and paint them.

My friend John then told me to get back to work on the trunk setup. I got the base for the compressors and manifold cut. This fits right inside of the tool compartment under the floor.

I will be mounting the compressors and manifold once I decide what orientation I should put them. After that I will cover the board in fabric to finish it off. You won't see it once I make the false floor, but I still want it to be aesthetically pleasing.

I was hoping to work on the motor but realized that I need the cam locking tool still. I will be borrowing one next weekend. That will let me get the timing chain back on and then I can button up the timing covers and get the valve cover on as well.

This week my rotors should be showing up too=) I got my taxes done on Saturday so I will have a good chunk of money to splurge on more parts

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #426
angelicmisskitty

Vehicles

I'd suggest hot pink as color choice for powder coating
Looking great so far =)
angelicmisskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #427
teetime4one

Vehicles

Motivation abounds!
Good stuff Earl.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #428
anassa

Vehicles

Geez, just took the time to look through the entire thread . . . okay so I skimmed some of it and focused on the pictures.

Great build, its too bad that the .org doesn't get that much traffic otherwise there would be a lot more comments to motivate! I also apologize for not following better such a detailed build. This reminds me a bit a build that is from very different genre of car and focus but was my inspiration back in the day and still is a amazingly detailed oriented build.

Keep at it!

Oh and I forgot to ask, how are you planning on correcting the toe in the rear? Weld in adjusters like those from IE?

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 02-07-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: question
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #429
Earl

Vehicles

Thanks a ton=) I will actually be investing in some modified rear trailing arms in Fall/Winter. There is a guy names Dominic with a compact that he has done a ton of custom work to. He runs a company called Dominant Engineering. He cut the original mounting points off and replaced them with adjustable heim joints, which allows them to adjust camber and toe easily. They are a little over $400 with your arms sent in to modify. They allow a ton more adjustment than the weld in kits.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #430
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Thanks a ton=) I will actually be investing in some modified rear trailing arms in Fall/Winter. There is a guy names Dominic with a compact that he has done a ton of custom work to. He runs a company called Dominant Engineering. He cut the original mounting points off and replaced them with adjustable heim joints, which allows them to adjust camber and toe easily. They are a little over $400 with your arms sent in to modify. They allow a ton more adjustment than the weld in kits.
Hmm interesting I just took a look at their site, it looks nice, but mostly for ford focus products? Also saw a thread with people complaining from lack of communication for parts.

I was thinking for my setup to go simple and just raise the rear subframe:
http://www.condorspeedshop.com/colle...-bushings-uhmw

I currently have IE bushings which are great, but its sitting low enough that the rear is at -1.9deg camber, forgot what the toe was, but I can see visible change in toe, and I still want to go a half to a inch lower so that may kill my tires.

But your obviously going a LOT lower lol.

Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Even more important:
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #431
Earl

Vehicles

I would actually get the adjustable arms for getting more camber and getting rid of the terrible toe=) Dominic is very busy and is pretty bad at responding to messages, but once you actually reach him he is pretty good about it.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #432
Earl

Vehicles

My Adams Rotors showed up Friday.

There was a miscommunication between Adam and I on the front rotors. Compacts end up having the option for either solid or vented fronts. My car ended up having the vented option, but Adam assumed it had the solid option. No biggie whatsoever. He was very happy to sort this out with me and it luckily happened at a time where they aren't needed ASAP anyways.

My buddy Greaser Kyle did more work in the bay.

We want it to be mostly symmetrical when it is done. There was an odd bump on the drivers side frame rail where a mount used to sit. It was ground off and patched.

He also patched an indent in the drivers side tower but I forgot to take an after picture=/

He ended up finishing the patch on the inside of the passenger side tower as well to rid of the tear drop shaped indent. (I forgot to picture this as well)

While this was going on, my friends and I procured the cam lock tool and made an attempt to get the timing chain on and then engine timed. I think we got it but I am too afraid to turn it over. lol

I was going to install the M44 tensioner (upgrade over the M42 tensioner) but I didn't seem to order a new seal and cover to install it=/

Other than that I have been thinking about sideskirts lately and how I don't think the ///M skirts will be good enough. I have been told e46 skirts are the same length but cannot find any good pictures of e36's running stock e46 skirts. I will be looking into my options.

I also took this picture while I was walking around #rippinshelfies

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #433
Earl

Vehicles

It seems I am having a hard time working with Adams Rotors on getting the right ones made. For some reason, Centric doesn't show that our cars had the option for vented front rotors unless it was a 98 or 99. Adams Rotors goes by what Centric says instead of the RealOem diagram that I supplied.

I just want to recoup some of the cost so I can get the proper fronts. Get someone to buy these please:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39886

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #434
anassa

Vehicles

Good luck, sucks for the screw up, My brembo blanks are working fine otherwise I would be interested.

Even more important:
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #435
Earl

Vehicles

No problem=) Spread the word. All the compact guys that I chat with have vented discs.

Quote:
Im Jelly.. enough said.