318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-21-2001, 04:05 AM   #1
gills

Hey guys,
I'm actually an owner of a 95 Honda Prelude VTEC and as you now know my bro has a 318ti with M sport suspension lowered with bavarian autosport springs and 17x7.5" BBS RX wheels. I actually did this write up in a Prelude forum so i'm just going to copy it to here. I hope you guys enjoy...

Well, me, my bro, and one of my boys installed the whole kit last night. I must say, that i don't think any Honda aftermarket FI product comes this organized with hardware that fits mostly perfectly. The directions were for the most part great. There were a few little quirks here and there but it wasn't really hard to figure out. The only things that seemed kind of dumb was there was stock piece that was kept for a sensor and it had to be hidden in the engine bay. I forgot what it was called, but i'll find out for you. You just need some sense, basic tools and manpower.
Now Downing Atlanta and Oscar Jackson used to be partners way back when in the business. That's why they have nearly identical supercharger setups. As you will see, the SC type is a roots type which is the same as JR's. But now obviously JR is bigger because he has moved on to the hondas and DA only offers a kit for 4 banger bimmers.

Here is the stock motor. It's a 1.9 liter inline four that pumps out i believe 140hp/140ft-lbs torque. Basically, this car needs more power for what it can handle. Especially my bro's. His 318ti is equipped with the BMW factory M sport suspension package that i don't know how these germans accomplished because the ride quality is no where near what lowered hondas are like and hanldes just as well. Also the weight distribution in this car is 50/50 and weighs anywhere from 2700-2900lbs so that doesn't hurt. The only thing that does hurt is this motor and we have just the cure

Here are the contents and the excellent packaging job Downing Atlanta has done. As you can see, they sent the box with all the hardware you need in individual bags that were called on by the number that's on the bag in certain steps. They supplied everything. All new hoses, clamps, belts, electrical tape, teflon tape, nuts, bolts and even loctite!

Here is a close up of the innards of a roots type blower. Very very cool. If you get the JRSC for your 5th gen, that's what it'll look like. I'm jealous!! Oh and you always need some kind of liquid while working on cars...:bigthumb:

Got the top part of the manifold off. It has dual stage intake runners with a butterfly valve that opens up the shorter runners at a certain rpm. Just like our ludes. You can also see the fuel rail with the injectors on top of the valve cover.

Bottom half off! yeeeeeeeehhaaaaaa!!

Here's what the mess looked like. It seems like a whole mess of wires but it was actually quite simple. If you haven't noticed, there's a lot more room to work with compared to our cars.

here's the SC bolted onto the manifold ready to put.

here's the first stage of the SC mounted onto the engine and a bracket that was supplied with the kit that's underneat the unit. This was the most difficult task of them all. By the way, BMW's belt loosening method is much quicker and simpler than hondas or nissans.

And voila! Obviously i skipped some steps but the of course this isn't a BMW forum. But the rest was mainly connecting the fuel system, vacuum hoses, belts, all sensors, throttle body and fan shroud. Take a look at the nice shiny boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator. That is the only change in the fuel system for this setup. You may think that's not enough but the stock fuel injectors run at 50% stock and DA claims they run at 80% with the SC and it's only running 7psi. The stock fuel pump supposedly could handle quite a bit more. Also, he doesn't have to worry about VTEC crossover points and all the variable timing nonsense. DA claims that after the SC the car puts out 215hp and 200ft/lbs(not at the wheels) w/o an exhaust and I'll tell you right now, it definitely feels like it. The power delivery is so linear and smooth it still wants to keep pulling all the way to the redline which i was told SC's don't like to do. Not in this case, it wants to keep going. He now makes more torque at 2000rpm than what his peak torque was stock and his clutch is definitely feeling it. Man, that thing is going to go real soon, lol! Obviously the only real way to tell if he's making the claimed power is to go for a dyno tune. That going to be happening sometime in the near future.

Here's an old a$$ pic of his and my car(my car wasn't even lowered yet!!!!) his car is lower about 1" lowered now too, but you get the idea:

hope you enjoyed,
gills
gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 04:37 PM   #2
Ralliart

Thanks man. I was wondering how tough installing one of those would be. Definately easier than an engine swap. How long do you think it took?
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 01:30 AM   #3
gills

All in all, it took about 10 hours. Just gotta take your time and not rush on these type of things. My brother was not pleased with a couple of things. There's a butterfly valve assembly inside the stock intake manifold that opens up the dual stage runners that has a sensor on it. Well, since the whole intake manifold is replaced, this piece is no longer serves a purpose mechanically. Now it is just used to keep the sensor to keep from the check engine light from turning on. And you have to hide the thing "ghetto style" under the supercharger. At least it is hidden though.
And the other thing was the bracket they supply for the SC that mounts underneath it. In the directions they tell you to mount the bracket first before you put the whole SC unit in, but it ended up not fitting and we had to lift it out and figure a way out to get to fit. But other than those 2 everything else was pretty straightforward like they said. As much as it is straight forward though, you still should not attempt this install if you don't have any experience working on cars.

gills

------------------
'95 Prelude VTEC modded
Old 10-17-2001, 04:58 PM   #4
DougZ

Gills: Is there a clearance issue with the new fuel pressure regulator interfering with the cap for the oil filter housing. It looks like form the picture, that the pressure regulator will have to be removed to get to the oil filter.????
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:53 PM   #5
gills

Doug, we don't know yet, but it seems like there will be a clearance problem. There's only 2 bolts holding the FPR in place so it's not like it should be difficult.

Sorry about the pics guys, but i wasn't about to pay 30 bucks for a membership for a photo album site. I'm going to find a new site and post the pics up again ASAP.

gills

------------------
'95 Prelude VTEC modded