318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 990,355 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
bmw_pwr

Default 318ti track transformation

hey guys, i am just wondering, how much would it cost for a full(cheap) track transformation from a street to a track car, i mean upgrated brakes, intake, and roll cage, let me know... and anyone in canada that has any experience in racing in ontario gt challenge?
Marcos
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_pwr View Post
hey guys, i am just wondering, how much would it cost for a full(cheap) track transformation from a street to a track car, i mean upgrated brakes, intake, and roll cage, let me know... and anyone in canada that has any experience in racing in ontario gt challenge?
Marcos
No telling... there are so many options.

Your best bet is to read the rule book for the series you want to race in and price your build to maximizing your car to the limit of the rules.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
bmw_pwr

i see, i was readying on them earlier, didnt find any restriction other than weight engine size and that was it.. :S well i have a exam tomorrow, should be thinking about this, o good night, ill be on tomorrow..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
DaveKern

Take whatever figure you think is reasonable and double it if you've never built a race car before. If you have built a car before, going 30% over budget is a more reasonable guess. LOL

I've got a build thread going in this forum, but don't have any idea on track prepping expenses as the rally stuff contains alot more customization whereas track prepping should be a bit more straightforward.

If you don't have lots of driving experience (or even if you do), investing in the driver (i.e. driving schools) will usually yield faster lap times than going overboard on mods to the car.

Dave

Built-by-Bones & SCR Performance
Mishimoto
DaveKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_pwr View Post
i see, i was readying on them earlier, didnt find any restriction other than weight engine size and that was it.. :S well i have a exam tomorrow, should be thinking about this, o good night, ill be on tomorrow..
Classes that are only limited to power/weight ratio are the most expensive classes to race in and be competitive. Of course, if none of your competitors are building their cars to insanely expensive builds, that can help with costs, but know that eventually, the cars will get more and more competitive, and the costs will go up.

You can easily spend $20,000 and not have a competitive car in a similar class like NASA GTS, which is a hp/weight class. You can also spend well over 60-70k and still not have a competitive car if you can't drive it well. Nationally competitive NASA GTS cars are 50k+ easily. I have a friend that is only regionally competitive with his GTS2 car and he has to have over 30k in his.

If money is a concern, your best bet is to buy an already built racecar.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Dan I

$3k+ for a legit roll cage
$2k+ for a good brake setup
$2k+ for misc safety equip...helmet, seat belts, hans device, race seat, fire system

Safety equip FIRST, then worry about the hp

That shoud get ya started

S50, Sunbelt cams, Dr.Vanos, blah, blah, blah...
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote