318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,038 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
wodcutr

Default Door lock issue

My driver door lock will not actuate with the remote. When I press the button the other door and the hatch locks, but the driver doesn't move. When I push on the lock knob it won't make the actuator lock the car but if the doors are already locked and I pull it up it will unlock everything. If I use the key to lock the car it will only lock the driver door manually and not use the actuators, but if I use the key to unlock the door it unlocks everything.

Is this a bad actuator or some other switch that thinks the door is still open or something so it won't lock?
wodcutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

My head hurts.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
rochey6957

Vehicles

change the battery in the remote...

then go to the dealer and let them fix it.

***Derek***

^^Lola^^
Pioneer radio/ Pioneer 6-Disk CD Changer/ JBL 601.1 Grand Touring Amplifier/ Bilstein Sport shocks/ Bilstein e36sedan springs/ Green LED Courtesy Lights

Accident Counter: 3...
rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
teetime4one

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
My head hurts.
i sit on my couch laughing as i listen to Steely Dan...
so dude, your car will be okay.
LMFAO

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
wodcutr

Thanks for all the lovely comments, but none were very helpful. I tried to describe the problem with as much detail as possible, but apparently my description was a bit confusing. I guess I will try to figure it out on my own!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
hotmilk400

it could be alot of things.

My driver side lock does the same thing, but not often and only when it is cold.

seems to only started doing it last year (after i installed a remote start with keyless entry) but 99% of the time, it is okay.

due to the cold weather, it might just be stuck. see if it does it when it is warm (like above 40F for awhile, not in the morning after it was below 40 all night)

I normally just hit lock/unlock a few times or use the key to unlock it and it start to work again.

if it keeps doing it, i suppose it is the actuator or something along those lines.

Mine is just stuck, you can see it attempt to go up, but doesnt move.

sorry for the crappy answer.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
wodcutr

Well I went out today and exercised the locks via the remote and wouldn't you know the drivers side actuator was functioning normally. I suppose maybe the cold could have something to do with it, but I will never know as it was parked in a heated shop the whole time. One less thing to fix now!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
hotmilk400

glad i could be of some help.

Like i said, mine does the same thing in the winter. not often, but it happens.

unlocking/locking normally fixes it. i might look into a permeate fix later, but i have more things on my mind. i am unsure if it is just the actulator or is it is just getting out of squence (like a bad relay somewhere)

for me, it doesnt matter since i can always open it.

(right now i am more worried about my ignition barrel, sometimes the key spins when starting. that will end very very bad if i do not fix it quickly. ie, no start or no shutoff one day when i really need to get somewhere in a hurry. haha)

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
wolferj-RIP

I am not 100% sure if the mechanisms are the same, but my e34 does some thing very similar, only in reverse of your issue. Using the factory remote will lock/unlock all the doors except the drivers. The key will lock all the doors including the drivers, but will only unlock the drivers door. It is the micro-switch in the lock mechanism that is the problem, not the actuator in this case...

Your initial post was detailed, but written in a run-on fashion, making it very hard to read...

Glad you got it working (for now), hopefully the problem won't rear it's ugly head again...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
teetime4one

Vehicles

i didn't mean to be mean...sorry

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
cooljess76

wodcutr, sorry you didn't get an instant answer/solution to your door lock issue. My advice, simply remove the door panel and observe the door lock actuator. A little grease or lubricating oil couldn't hurt either. Who knows, maybe you'll find something loose or perhaps the door lock actuator itself has come detached from the door? I truly enjoy helping people diagnose and address problems, but sometimes it helps if you take a peek at things instead of making people guess. Fact is, we don't know what's going on inside of your door any better than you do.

People come here all the time and post things like "I keep hearing a noise from under my car, what could it be?" While some members will start throwing out guesses left and right, my first guess would be that the person hasn't even jacked the car up or looked underneath it. Maybe they're dragging a cardboard box, maybe their axle fell off. But until they get under there and look, they'll never know and neither will we.

Start by removing the door panel(try not to break the clips), observe the door lock actuator with a flashlight, check to make sure the screw that holds it onto the door didn't loosen or fall out, make sure the electrical connector is nice and snug, squirt some oil on it and "jerk it off" a few times. If that doesn't work, remove the actuator and see if you could fix it. If you can't fix it, replace it.

Last edited by cooljess76; 01-12-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
wodcutr

I did have the panel removed as I was fixing my window issue as well and I even removed the actuator and reinstalled it again. When I had the actuator out it was obviously working because when I slid the locking part back and forth the other doors would lock and unlock.

I am glad that you guys were able to offer some help. I am not a newbie with BMW's, only the E36. I sell parts for E30's (currently own 4 running driving E30's) and know those like the back of my hand. My DD is an E46 328i. I have had some interesting exchanges with a few people on R3V as that forum is full of smart asses and younger guys. I don't want to start anything here but for me personally I usually won't post a comment on a thread unless I can offer legitimate help and know what I am talking about from experience or stored knowledge.

I am glad to finally own an E36. The ti is a cross between the E30 and E36 and from what I have driven so far, it is a great car. Thanks to all those that helped me with my motor swap especially John in helping me understand the security system and SAP simulator functions. These forums are great when you can find the correct information you need to be able to fix something and not have to go to the dealer.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodcutr View Post
I did have the panel removed as I was fixing my window issue as well and I even removed the actuator and reinstalled it again. When I had the actuator out it was obviously working because when I slid the locking part back and forth the other doors would lock and unlock.
Good thing you posted that important information in your ridiculously detailed original post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
wodcutr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Good thing you posted that important information in your ridiculously detailed original post
You would do well over on R3V bro! They have the perfect smiley for you...one that pulls down its pants and shows a nice vertical smile.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
KSKarl

My e34 has similar intermittent problem in the central lock system, only showing up in recent cold weather. My mechanic/guru advised me to clean and relube the lock mechanisms in all the doors. Apparently he expects that it will not be a complicated exercise, just picky and time consuming PITA. And he knows I've done bigger stuff.
KSKarl is offline   Reply With Quote