318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,993 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Today's Top Ten List!!!!!

In the spirit of "Letterman", I have decided to create my own top ten list:

Top Ten Things I Won't Do to My Car:

#10-Add a 6 CD changer
#9-Put any decals on the windows
#8-Put anything but 93 Octane in her
#7-Bling the interior with chrome
#6-Change the color of my gauges
#5-Buy a Bra
#4-Put anything in or on her saying "M3", my car is a standard model
#3-Put a Subwoofer in the trunk
#2-Tint the Windows

DRUM ROLL...............AND THE #1 THING I WON'T DO TO MY CAR..........

PUT ANYTHING IN HER "MADE IN ASIA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
bluebastion

wow.. I've broken half of those things. Sorry
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
hotdog19d

that doesn't include "type R" stickers does it?
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5783
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5777SOLD!!!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
FOR SALE!! $4000 OBO!!!!!!
96 california aqua-marine clears, H&R/Koni sports, Triflo exhaust fogged
hotdog19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
bluebastion

Ummm let me check... dang it... I'll take it off right now. But my friend said it would add 20hp...
Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
96cali

All I am sayinggggggggggg... is give tint a chance.........

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
aceyx

have you swapped the plugs yet? and i take it you're not a cca member.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
cca is the only sticker on my car that isn't required by the state.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
L84THSKY

I have swapped the plugs, air filter and gas filter, as well as changed the oil.

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #9
aceyx

did you notice the japanese plugs you pulled out?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:35 AM   #10
L84THSKY

Yes I did, and I replaced them with Bosch platinums.

Quote:
did you notice the japanese plugs you pulled out?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-06-2005, 07:26 AM   #11
canadian_ti

What's wrong with tint and a subwoofer in the trunk?? How about you think about it this way,.. say I had tinted windows, a subwoofer, a type-R sticker and all the rest of the crap you said + a supercharger,.. i'd think you'd shut your mouth and let it go by? would you???
Old 03-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Yes I did, and I replaced them with Bosch platinums.
that evil laugh must be for your responses in this thread then, where you found the bosch's problematic and wanted to go back to NGK:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3128

you may be more patriotic than the engineers in munich, but at least they have practical performance in mind.

to some (many) people on this board, nearly all of your list fits certain needs / wants in their car. let's go through them:

10. i have a changer so i'm not fumbling around while driving. this keeps my eyes (and attention) on the road.
9. i have a cca sticker on the left passenger window to show my enthusiasm, and both required inspection stickers on the windshield. i've also left the factory alarm / EMF warning stickers on.
8. i drive. a lot, around 18K miles per year. i can honestly say i see little difference between 89/93 on the highway. around town, that story differs.
7. bmw "blinged" the M roadster and coupe, as a sign to their heritage.
6. bmw is considering blue-lighted gauges in upcoming models, to suit the vision needs of their target market.
5. ever track your car? racing tape and a bra is a good idea for that short period, unless you like spending $400 to repaint the front end. also, 7K mile cross-country roadtrips with a bra would have certainly limited the chips i needed to repair.
4. but the motorsport division stripes are okay?
3. lets face it, the bass response in this car is piss poor, as it is with most factory models (save for the volvo s70, which comes with a 10" woofer). some people just want tighter response; it's not always a sign of thumping bass.
2. ever live down south? ever go there? got leather seats? do you like your vinyl to crack and fade?
1. i return to my original statement. bmw themselves put japanese parts in your car because the german ones were problematic.

i'm not trying to change your mind, i could care less. and i respect that you have a certain "ideal" surrounding your car, but please realize that 1. you're dissing half the people on this board 2. you're not always right (the plugs).

even a highly respected italian superbike manufacturer sees the value in using japanese parts (namely, the motor). why can't you?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
97Hellrot318ti

Just to add to that, I have an amp and a 12 in subwoofer in my trunk. I don't own a single rap CD, which kind of eliminates the whole "thumping bass" concept. My set-up vastly improves the quality of MANY types of music, some that you probably wouldn't expect. I've turned up the subwoofer to hear the basslines come through in classical music, bet you didn't expect that? Oh and it really helps for anything by Sublime.

Also, back to the decals thing... contrary to popular belief, decals do not add 20hp a piece. The accepted standard is 5hp per decal, sorry to burst your bubble... hahaha
ACS-"Style" (E-Bay, haha) Racing Pedals
M Frontspoiler (OEM)
Alpine CDA 9827 MP3/CD Head Unit
Alpine E12 Subwoofer (now stolen)
Audiobahn A4002T Amp (also now stolen)
Dented driver side fender (provided courtesy of blind 80 year old woman)
Keyed passenger door (provided by someone who likes to key red cars)

Soon to come (now that I've graduated and have a real job)
S52 Engine Swap!!!
Fixing aformentioned damage caused by the elderly and the brain deprived
Supersprint Exhaust and Headers
Angel Eye/Projector Headlights
97Hellrot318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #14
bluebastion

Hey that was my bubble you bursted, bubble burster.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:39 AM   #15
L84THSKY

That was based on speculation among other drivers. I paid for the Bosch, I kept the Bosch, and the Bosch actually cost less, they work fine.

Quote:
that evil laugh must be for your responses in this thread then, where you found the bosch's problematic and wanted to go back to NGK:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3128

There's nothing wrong with playing a CD, but having to go to your trunk to do it is silly. Second, a trunk is for cargo, a sub is not cargo.

I do have leather seats. And finally, it's only my opinion anyway, but it does create interesting debate.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd