318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
albi901

Question Head Unit Aerial Leads?

Hi all,

Just replaced my BMW business radio (hhmm pile of ****) with a shiny new JVC head unit

Confused about an extra cable that was attached to the back of the stereo!

The extra cable is wound together with the aerial lead and has smaller co-ax cable than the aerial lead and has a small metal type connector attached which was screwed into the back of the stereo!

My car doesn'y have any external aerials so could it be connected to the chassis?

Anybody know what this extra lead could be?

Should i connect this inline with my new aerial connector.

It isn't affecting my radio reception but the JVC head unit wont find any stations when i do a search (well only BBC3 & 4 which aint even worth bothering with). I can manually tune stations in but its sort of buggin me!

Dont really need radio anyhow as my new hu will read DVD MP3's, 4.7GB's of MP3, wot more can i say

Cheers albi901

p.s. hope this makes sense i'm in pretty much of a rush
albi901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
BobbyDigital

I think there is somewhat of a language barrier. And the stereos are probably different here than there.

What are aerials?
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
albi901

Exclamation

antenna maybe

thingy that plugs in2 back of your head unit which allows receiver to pick up FM signals

i dunno you americans
Old 05-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
BobbyDigital

Oh.

Well, I dont know. Mine just had the one plug and it went right into the back of my head unit.
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
GDB

I know I had to use an adapter to fit my antenna plug to my Clarion headunit. But it sounds like you don't even have an antenna to plug into? If you could take a picture of the wire in question I'm fairly certain I can figure it out.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

wait until some of the UK chaps wake up and read the thread. that said, i know the antenna on your UK cars is integrated into the rear window so you DO have an aerial/antenna in it (in fact, i wish they'd used those here!).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #7
Phil Marx

it's most likely the "dual-diversity" antenna lead. Check the perimeter of your front windscreen and see if you have a wire imbedded in it. Most U.S. BMWs after about 1993 had it but not the Ti. Your radio compares the input from both antennae and picks the strongest signal. For after-market radios just use the one from the back of the car with the more conventional-type plug and it should work fine. If your rear antenna lead has a short "snap" connector, you may need an adapter for a more normal old-style longer plug.

-Phil
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
albi901

Taken piccy of connectors which were removed from BM wiring!

Smaller connector on the right is the one in question!

Click image for larger version Name:	05040002.JPG Views:	263 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	1713
Old 05-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Phil Marx

Well, the bigger connector is what you needed to use (with an adapter most likely) to connect to your new head-unit. The little one is the secondary (windshield or fender?) antenna in the dual-diversity system which probably is useless to your JVC. If you can put the plug back on your antenna lead without rendering it useless, you will then probably need an adapter that looks like this:
It's typically available to adapt to VW products so it should be readily available. If you've ruined your rear antenna cable, I have no advice for you but check here: Real OEM to see the diversity antenna wiring (part #5 for your car) from the rear-glass-antenna amplifier. It looks like the diversity system for your car used a rear-windscreen imbedded antenna along with maybe a short-stalk fender-mount. I don't see any ti listing for a front windscreen antenna. Why don't you tell us what your car has for antennae?

-Phil
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
albi901

My motor must be using the rear windscreen embedded thingy as i've got no external aerial/antenna. Couldn't tell ya whether its got a secondary antenna attached to the bumper/fender or not

I bought a new connector which is pretty similar to the one in the photo but its got a housing. I just had to strip the co-ax cable and re-attach it to new connector!

Basically still having signal problems so i'm gonna re-wire both co-ax cables into my new connector and see if that improves my reception problems

I'm gonna take some more piccies when i get the chance
Old 11-09-2006, 04:45 AM   #11
sparkchaser

Bump.

Status on this?
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
albi901

Nah no more action on this.........tried a few other suggestions but nothing worked

Some1 suggested (on a different forum) that i needed to power my antenna which is in the rear window, did this and it still didn't work so basically gave up and dont even listen to the radio now

eventually i'm gonna get some nice big speakers & amp fitted so might get a pro to do it and see if they can sort out my radio reception!

also noticed some1 else posted a similar thread to this recently:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4682