318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,381 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,240 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
jaimito79

Cool Vanos & Non-Vanos engine?

Havn't really read up on this subject, but just was curious on what the differece is between the two? Pros and cons?
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
mohaughn

Wrong forum.. Ti's never came with VANOS... It is BMW's variable valve timing on their i6 motors.

Toyota calls it VVT-i, honda is VTEC, GM is Northstar VVT. They all work slightly different, but all accomplish the same thing. It is good for getting good power and still keeping emmissions low while idling. A lot of fully built BMW racing motors get rid of the VANOS though.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Wrong forum.. Ti's never came with VANOS... It is BMW's variable valve timing on their i6 motors.

Toyota calls it VVT-i, honda is VTEC, GM is Northstar VVT. They all work slightly different, but all accomplish the same thing. It is good for getting good power and still keeping emmissions low while idling. A lot of fully built BMW racing motors get rid of the VANOS though.
Yeah, I've never seen a built motor use variable valve timing.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
jaimito79

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post

I know the Vanos pertain to the I6 engines BMW makes, but was wondering what it was all about. Saw some engines for sale, some were vanos and non-vanos. thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Bam2002

If your just going to Chip and engine Vanos is pretty good.

For doing a full race engine, Big Cams, Ported and polished intake, High compression. Non Vanos. I have been told you can do alot more machine shop tricks on a Non Vanos engine. There are kits to convert a Vanos to Non vanos. Therfore there must be a need for this.
Bam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
jaimito79

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam2002 View Post
If your just going to Chip and engine Vanos is pretty good.

For doing a full race engine, Big Cams, Ported and polished intake, High compression. Non Vanos. I have been told you can do alot more machine shop tricks on a Non Vanos engine. There are kits to convert a Vanos to Non vanos. Therfore there must be a need for this.
appreciate the tip my friend...
Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
khooper

I have found this thread upon searching vanos and non-vanos information.

I know that the non vanos engine will not benefit from mods such as Cams and Pulleys because they don't work on a non vanos engine.

Does anyone know why is that? Does it mean that other than forced induction, a non vanos engine is basically stuck with bolt on parts such as the intake, chip exhaust and perhaps headers?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Watchmyradical

not too knowledgeable in the area but vanos are good for NA builts and non vanos are good for forced induction builds unless i have them confused. if u search Bimmer forums there is a good amount of debate on the subject.
e46 325 brake upgrade, Dinan engine chip, UUC SS brake lines, UCC rotors, m68 17in wheels, Conti extreme contacts, Billstein sport shocks, H&R springs, M3 shock mounts, B&B triflow exhaust, K&N cone filter, Magnecor 8.5 wires, Meyle control arms with caster , Hawk ceramic pads, Understeer M3 SSK, UUC SS clutch line, 320 trans mounts.
Watchmyradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by khooper View Post
I have found this thread upon searching vanos and non-vanos information.

I know that the non vanos engine will not benefit from mods such as Cams and Pulleys because they don't work on a non vanos engine.

Does anyone know why is that? Does it mean that other than forced induction, a non vanos engine is basically stuck with bolt on parts such as the intake, chip exhaust and perhaps headers?
Sorry but that is wrong! Early 2.5L M50 love cams. Many folks use to swap the intake into the exhaust and put a schrick on the intake side for more lift and duration.

NV's are more durable hence why everyone does forced induction on them. They were available in 525i and one year 325i. Why they went away was Vanos gave them better emission and easier driving instead of a peaky 6 cylinder. Enthusiasts like rev happy peaky engines but at the time the market was YUPPIES. They wanted smooth bland dumbed down cars.

The bad with the NV engines is the engine software is old and does respond well to chip tuning so stand alone works well. I have a half complete 3.0L NV at my former residence that was planed for an E30 car. In October I plan to retrieve my belongings and hopefully finish a few projects if time allows me.

Each engine are good, just depends on what you want to do with it. NV are not supported by TMS and the rest of the main stream shops due to they were not here long.

Pete McHenry used to build some nutty NV engines in the 90's.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote