318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 368,870 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
schussey

Angry Drifting Gone Bad

This morning, when I awoke, it was pouring down rain. A friend called, and asked if I wanted to go out and drift around some turns. This seemed like fun to me, since there was a rather large layer of water covering the roads.

Instead of doing this on the streets, I remebered my favorite parking deck. The top level (level 3), has an extremely smooth surface, and when it gets wet, it takes virtually no effort at all to make the tail slip out. So we decide to go there.

As we approach the top level, we noticed that there was definitly a layer of water over the entire surface, ideal for drifting. After about 10 minutes of spinning around, my friend decided to get out and take a few pictures/movies of me taking the car around the corner.

Everything was going fine, we got some great pictures/movies from the day. My friend got back into the car, and we were not done yet.

I came around one of the turns way too fast, but maintained a pretty nice drift around it. I'm not sure what happened, but I definitly lost it. Next thing I know, we are backwards, parallel with the wall next to us. I hit the brakes, instinctually (sp?), and tried to stop the car.

I look to my right, and notice that my car is inevitablly going to sideswipe the wall. Well, I was right,, I definitly straight up rubbed right against the wall.

Luckily, I missed the concrete part, and hit only where the wall was protected by metal rope stuff (about 1/2' in diameter). Regardless, this still tore up the passenger side of my car.

I immediatly went to a local body shop for an estimate, and am about $2,000 deep.

I'll try to get some pictures from the day, and the aftermath, up a bit later on.

Oh, right after I hit the wall, a cop came. What a buzzkill.

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

the only word that comes to mind is .... D'OH!
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
schussey

haha yea dude, basically

-chris
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
myblueTI

that really sucks but oh well its just a car . Post some pics of the car
myblueTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #5
maurolin

sorry for the losses...
my thought on it is that it seems that you may not be paying attention to your turning line... if you are off the turning line from the beginning... well.. u know.

next time spray tire shine and do it in a wide open parking lot.
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 AM   #6
mickd

It was bad enough, and then came the cop. At least you got some good video. Maybe the pics/video will make it worth it. Could be on a Mischief DVD, including the crash. I guess we all get into it a bit much sometimes. Have had a few close calls lately, I could picture myself in your situation. Sorry to hear of the damage on your car. Hope the cops weren't harsh, or you have a good lawyer?
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
hotdog19d

I'd like to see pics. Sorry you messed up you're car, just chock it up as an expensive lesson. When I was younger, I did something similar witht the same result.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5783
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5777SOLD!!!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
FOR SALE!! $4000 OBO!!!!!!
96 california aqua-marine clears, H&R/Koni sports, Triflo exhaust fogged
hotdog19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
schussey

maurolin- - yea, I wasn't paying attention at all. I basically just threw it, not sure of what I wanted to do with the turn.

mickd- the cop came, and was like "i hear you boys are doing wheelies up here." I laughed to myself, and was able to talk myself out of trouble. He took my ID for a few minutes, but I wasn't concerned. I told him we were taking pictures. But he did see all the tires marks.....

hotdog- yea, I'll probably be taking pictures tomarrow. Before, and after when I try to buff it out.

The whole event was not caught on tape, just a few passes. It was with a camera phone, because my friends mom took his camcorder out for the day. But I do have a picture of my car, with the cop in the background.

Stay tuned.

-chris

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #9
m44ic

I love drifting but after having a too close for comfort encounter with a curb me and my buds found a huge brand new abandoned parking lot that is in the way back of the local fair grounds. No curbs, no light poles, the only thing you can possibly hit is grass. hopefully it rains soon cuz my tires need to last me til fall, hopefully I'll get some vids up of me and my bud in his 240 getting a little sideways.
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
schussey

definitly post some vids of the sideways 240!

-chris

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
m44ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schussey
definitly post some vids of the sideways 240!

-chris
I will but it wont be for a while cuz its a work in progress at the moment. he just bought the car and he is taking his Vortech supercharged VQ30DE out of his maxima and putting it in his stripped 2200 lbs 240 along with a 350Z 6-speed tranny, oil pan and headers. then a 3.91 VLSD diff out of a Infinite J30. so we have all that to do and we have only started on getting rid of all the rust and painting it flat black temporarally. We have all the parts but we need to waite untill his mom leaves to start.
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Old 06-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #12
2ndBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m44ic
I will but it wont be for a while cuz its a work in progress at the moment. he just bought the car and he is taking his Vortech supercharged VQ30DE out of his maxima and putting it in his stripped 2200 lbs 240 along with a 350Z 6-speed tranny, oil pan and headers. then a 3.91 VLSD diff out of a Infinite J30. so we have all that to do and we have only started on getting rid of all the rust and painting it flat black temporarally. We have all the parts but we need to waite untill his mom leaves to start.
Might it just be cheaper to buy a 350z?

Shussey: I did something similar 2 years ago. Had rained only about 2 hours prior. Zippin down the backroads, entering at backwards S turn at about 60 (which is quite possible in the dry). The first half of the S dips down and the other back uphill. Well, halfway thru the first curve I realize Im going too fast, so I tap the brakes hoping to chop off about 10mph. This is right as Im changing direction to get thru the center of the S. The instant those pads touched the rotors the tail lept out swinging round passenger side. The car stopped 180º around at the top of the other end of the S at maybe 12" from the guard rail on the other side of the road.
After a huge sigh and a quick check of the drawers I pulled outta there as one coming the other direction would be faced with my stopped car half in their lane.
NEVER done any sort of "spirited" driving in any level of dampness since. Figure I was saved one expensive lesson and dont want to take the class again.

[note of geekiness: come to think of it, I was on my way to go see Attack of the Clones when this happened.]
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
schussey

I've spun out a number of times on the open road while enjoying some spirited driving, but never damaged my car like this.

Don't worry, I am a fellow Star Wars geek as well.

-chris

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
m44ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndBimmer
Might it just be cheaper to buy a 350z?

Shussey: I did something similar 2 years ago. Had rained only about 2 hours prior. Zippin down the backroads, entering at backwards S turn at about 60 (which is quite possible in the dry). The first half of the S dips down and the other back uphill. Well, halfway thru the first curve I realize Im going too fast, so I tap the brakes hoping to chop off about 10mph. This is right as Im changing direction to get thru the center of the S. The instant those pads touched the rotors the tail lept out swinging round passenger side. The car stopped 180º around at the top of the other end of the S at maybe 12" from the guard rail on the other side of the road.
After a huge sigh and a quick check of the drawers I pulled outta there as one coming the other direction would be faced with my stopped car half in their lane.
NEVER done any sort of "spirited" driving in any level of dampness since. Figure I was saved one expensive lesson and dont want to take the class again.

[note of geekiness: come to think of it, I was on my way to go see Attack of the Clones when this happened.]
A 350z would be way more expensive, and a 1000 lbs heavier with less power. this project will end up costing 15k at the most, the Z's are in the 30's. Also its not about the money its about building something completely original, why get something that everyone elso has when you could build a car unlike any other.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #15
aceyx

drift in the dry.

you can't learn that much from doing it in the wet because there are too many variables. cut those down, and the feedback you get can be applied to all oversteer situations.

plus, when that rubber lights up and sounds like banshees done right by john holmes, you know they're happy.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote