318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Bill Strong

Default Upgrading early 98 ti M-Tech with 99 vented

I love the way the stock brakes on my 98 stop. They exceed the stopping power of my track setup 86 MR2.

What does concern me is that the stock rotors do heat up very fast. They do recover quickly, but on very fast downhill fast road drives they do get weak towards the bottom, which can be un-nerving.

I have researched the many big brake options out there.

Having been doing this car thing for the last 25+ years I know \how fads are and what to stay away from.

One of them is the fact that a car as light as the ti with under 150hp, and only used on public roads does not need huge brakes to staop safely. I also Know that bigger brakes can also add to unsprung weight which can slow the car, which I want to stay away from.

So knowing all of that, I have not been able to find vented vs. unvented front brake setups. basically early 98 vs late 98/99 brakes.

My car stops just fine. With proper pad selection and fresh undrilled/unslotted rotors the car can make my ears pop when stopped.
Upgrading to the vented rotors and wider calipers -

1. Does it help on prolonging brake fade due to rotor heat build up? In theory it should, but in real world does it?

2. What are the parts required to do this? I am pretty certain that the Calipers (and maybe the caliper brakets - unless the stock 98s will work) pads and new rotors are required.

3. Pads. I use Porterfield pads on all of my performance cars. I wont use any others, unless they are OE pads from BMW. Has anyone compared the two?

4. Direct real world and track comparrisons of the unvented rotors vs. the vented rotors?

5. I will be replacing all of the Rotors(BMW), and brake pads(BMW or Porterfield) on my 98 ti m-tech. What else should be changed when this job is done? I see mention of sensors. Can I have more info on these and why they should be changed?

thank you in advance

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
http://www.mr2oc.com
http://www.racingstrong.com
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

steven will likely be able to answer most/all of your questions as he changed to e36 32x vented front brakes (stock rear) in his 328ti and has no problems with brake fade during track events. i think he might even use the porterfield pads, i forget.

#2) calipers, brackets, rotors ... i think the pads might even be the same. used e36 32x calipers and brackets are pretty damn cheap used (like $50 - $100 for the pair). might want to rebuild before install just so you know what you're working with.

#5) the only reason to replace the pad sensor is if there's a problem with it or if your pad sensor light came on in your dash before replacing the brakes. the wires can get damaged, sensor head break when inserting into the new pad or something like that warranting replacement as well. you shouldn't need to do it with every pad/brake change. there's one per side front and rear (two total).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Yeah. This is one of my pet peeves when it comes to brakes.
Most people thing bigger is better.
I have no problems with stock vented rotors up front.
I have 15" snow tires so nothing else will fit anyway unless I buy new wheels and tires.
If I had to do it over I'd probably go with the 330 front rotor setup.
Either way you need new rotors and calipers and bracket.
Larger rotors will probably prolong fade but not by much.
I can get 3 weekends at the track on Ate brake fluid.
Acutally 2.75 weekends. The last 2 sessions of the 3rd weekend I start to get some fade.

Discussing brake pads and tires is worse than religion.
I am a Carbotech fan. Bobcats for our MINI and ti for the street. PantherPlus on the track. I would not use stock pads unless you like cleaning brake dust. I don't know now experience with Porterfields but have liked Ultimate Axxis pads for the street.

As Cali said, you don't need to replace the brake sensor. I keep mine tied to the struts and still have to replace them occasionally because they get frayed.

#1 factor in stopping distance is tires.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Bill Strong

I can get reman calipers from www.rockauto.com for the 328ic for $28, plus a $50 core. I would still need to get the mounting brackets.
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/...tml?191618.jpg

I need to find a local junk yard in the Lynchburg/madison Heights area of Virginia. I am new to this area so don't know all the junk yards yet.
http://www.mr2oc.com
http://www.racingstrong.com
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
clex2

Bill,

I did this on my stock 95 ti, and I don't recall needing any mounting brackets. I got used Z3 (same as 325 or 8) calipers, new brembo vented rotors, pads, and senors for about $250 from Zionsville. The caliper was incusive of #1 and #2 in the picture. BTW, http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/shop.mv? is a goos source for used parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	76.png Views:	261 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	1146  
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

#2 is the bracket
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote