318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Comments, 1,028,202 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Secondary Air Shutoff Valve Rebuild
Secondary Air Shutoff Valve Rebuild
Published by CirrusSR22
07-07-2011
Default Secondary Air Shutoff Valve Rebuild

Secondary Air Shutoff Valve Rebuild:
------------------------------------------------

Failure of this valve's gasket will lead to a failed secondary air pump. This happens because the failed valve gasket allows hot, moist exhaust gas to flow backwards into the secondary air pump. The pump motor will rust and seize.

This DIY shows you how to replace the failed sealing gasket in the valve.

Tools and Parts:
• Dremel with cut off wheel
• Approx 2" diameter hose clamp
• Rubber sheet gasket (In plumbing section of my local home improvement store). Not sure how thick it was, but about 1/16". I got two, roughly 6"x6" sheets in the package. Enough to make at least 8 gaskets.
• Mechanic's pick

Total Cost:
• Roughly $5

Procedure:

This is a pretty simple (and crude) DIY, but it absolutely works. I don't know how long the new rubber gasket will last, but redoing this even once a year for a couple bucks is better than $80 for a new valve. I no longer own this car so I don't know how it's holding up.

I'm writing this about one year after I did the work, so it's going mostly off memory and my photos. I apologize in advice for any errors or unclear procedures.

Using the cut-off wheel, cut a slit in the clamping ring that holds the two halves of the valve together. Carefully pry the ring off.

While it's not visible in the photo below (it has been removed already) there is a rubber gasket that gets squeezed buy the vacuum powered section/cap of the valve (the black round thing in the center of the valve).

We need to remove that old gasket. I clamped the protrusion on the valve cap in a vice and then pulled the valve body away by hand. Using a pick, remove the old gasket.

This is what was left of my gasket. It did not tear coming out.
Tutorial Tools