318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 340,225 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #76
crazy_hippo

Nice! Do remember to post a pic of your engine when you receive it!!
crazy_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #77
crazy_hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingSimple View Post
Unless you're planning on running 350 to the wheels or more, that stock 07 Vette will tear you a new one. The 430hp LS3 traps a good 115 bone, plain jane stock. That car is a monster.
I reckon his motor will be producing close to 400HP on turbo/SC running at 1bar. Thus killing a Vette should not be an issue and not to mention lighter weight as well.

His M42 will even tear up M3s out there.........
Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #78
mohaughn

400hp? Let's not get to unrealistic here... If it puts 300 to the flywheel I would be impressed.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #79
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_hippo View Post
I reckon his motor will be producing close to 400HP on turbo/SC running at 1bar. Thus killing a Vette should not be an issue and not to mention lighter weight as well.

His M42 will even tear up M3s out there.........
Visited the asset this employee "Tom" works at today and he said he is only 370hp max and runs a automatic with highway gears. Stated his car is 3,6oo+ pounds and is worried I'm going to whip up on him I think he is setting me up for a butt kickin but what will that do for him....Yea folks I'm a hero I beat a 4 cylinder 318is the turd of BMW performance with my 50K Vette.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #80
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
400hp? Let's not get to unrealistic here... If it puts 300 to the flywheel I would be impressed.
I would be happy with 300hp rear wheels. If I don't get that on the dyno I'm going turbo. I have already priced everything out and Nick G @ TT said he will do the DME firmware. When I purchased the motor from Metric I had them prepare the oil pan for a turbo setup so I'm ready if needed to put a BB Garrett and start at 20 psi if the DASC doesn't make the power I need.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #81
lpcapital

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I would be happy with 300hp rear wheels. If I don't get that on the dyno I'm going turbo. I have already priced everything out and Nick G @ TT said he will do the DME firmware. When I purchased the motor from Metric I had them prepare the oil pan for a turbo setup so I'm ready if needed to put a BB Garrett and start at 20 psi if the DASC doesn't make the power I need.
Do the MM engines have oil cooler? If so, how is it integrated in the oil system? Do they have a dry or wet sump?

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #82
lpcapital

Ehi fellas, found a link from MM website with a bunch of PDFs... I though I'll share it as there's a very nice booklet on the M42/M44

link

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #83
crazy_hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
300 to the fly wheel? Possible if he runs just DASC with 10PSI of boost. But if he goes turbo with 1bar boost, then it will near 400 provided it properly setup with matching injectors etc.

http://www.pure-pf.com/phpBB2/viewto...ht=m42&start=0

Over 600HP from M42.......
Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #84
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_hippo View Post
300 to the fly wheel? Possible if he runs just DASC with 10PSI of boost. But if he goes turbo with 1bar boost, then it will near 400 provided it properly setup with matching injectors etc.

http://www.pure-pf.com/phpBB2/viewto...ht=m42&start=0

Over 600HP from M42.......
I will be running 14-15 psi with the DASC plus methanol injection starting at 8psi as a chemical intercooler. Due to the lost HP to turn the supercharger I'm predicting close to 300rwhp. ZF trans, 3.23 LSD, LTW axles Beyer Driveline and lots of weight removed. I had a carbon hood and added a carbon sunroof and carbon trunk plus changed the heavy leather seats for light race buckets, LTW rims, 9 pound flywheel, bored TB, port matched intake and 3" exhaust. Glass headlights and fogs replaced with plastic for weight savings, Lots of small things removed...If I don't use it it gets removed. Everything I do I think of weight savings from as tiny as using aluminum bolts instead of steel on non critical areas. This is a daily driver so no lexan glass and A/C is a must. Full OBD II with no errors
Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #85
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
Do the MM engines have oil cooler? If so, how is it integrated in the oil system? Do they have a dry or wet sump?
Wet sump. Metric asked if I was running a oil cooler. When I stated not needed on the DASC they said they would put plugs in the holes so I guess they are there when needed. Don't know anything more about it until I get the motor
Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #86
marko

my set up will be nothing like yours - i.e. I'm going a more conservative route obviously, BUT Teddy did mention that when all said & done I'll be looking at 200 on the wheels easy, with all of the below...

dasc + stage 3 + MM Rally head + exhaust + MM flywheel + MM's 258 degree intake cam w/ stock exhaust cam (teddy's idea) + single timing chain conversion + 2.0L @ 10:1 compression...

not sure yet about deleting the ASC to get some more flow - but it is a possibility.

judging by above, it seems you will get close to 300 on the wheels - if not surpass it...

Quote:
I will be running 14-15 psi with the DASC plus methanol injection starting at 8psi as a chemical intercooler. Due to the lost HP to turn the supercharger I'm predicting close to 300rwhp. ZF trans, 3.23 LSD, LTW axles Beyer Driveline and lots of weight removed. I had a carbon hood and added a carbon sunroof and carbon trunk plus changed the heavy leather seats for light race buckets, LTW rims, 9 pound flywheel, bored TB, port matched intake and 3" exhaust. Glass headlights and fogs replaced with plastic for weight savings, Lots of small things removed...If I don't use it it gets removed. Everything I do I think of weight savings from as tiny as using aluminum bolts instead of steel on non critical areas. This is a daily driver so no lexan glass and A/C is a must. Full OBD II with no errors
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #87
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
my set up will be nothing like yours - i.e. I'm going a more conservative route obviously, BUT Teddy did mention that when all said & done I'll be looking at 200 on the wheels easy, with all of the below...

dasc + stage 3 + MM Rally head + exhaust + MM flywheel + MM's 258 degree intake cam w/ stock exhaust cam (teddy's idea) + 2.0L @ 10:1 compression...

not sure yet about deleting the ASC to get some more flow - but it is a possibility.

judging by above, it seems you will get close to 300 on the wheels - if not surpass it...
Hey Marko, Teddy told me you were asking about me. When will you have all your stuff together?

I was told today that mine will be here the week of the 15th
Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #88
marko

yeah, I speak to Teddy quite often actually... moslty because I need his input on everything I'm trying to accomplish with this build... & yes, your motor has come up a few times, simply due to the fact that I'm trying to take into consideration all the options available to me (all possible configuratons of power vs. reliability).

my motor will not be ready for quite some time, to be honest (probalby 2 months from now)... most importantly cause I need time to save for it as I go along - but also because I needed to come to terms of whom exactly will be putting it together, as initially & just wanted to get the internals + a rally head from them & have a local shop do the assembly for cheaper.

as of a few days ago, that problem has been solved... in exchange for an entire spare/complete M44 long block as well as allowing MM to 'take their time', Teddy cut me a GREAT deal on assembly & machining - I.E. Metric Mechanic will actually fully build the motor!

they already have my Rally head on the bench... & this weekend I'm sending back to them the pistons/rods/wrist pins I purchased from them earlier - as well as 2 M44 blocks + 2 M44 cranks & all the incidentals like timing/valve covers, oil pans, pulleys, etc.

long story short... for a few extra bucks (vs. what a local no-name shop would charge me) - I'm getting Teddy/MM to asemble my motor in house & make sure that everything fits together as it should.

I must say I'm glad I took that approach, as it would have been a great shame to spend 5K on parts alone & then have a local yahoo machine shop butcher it all up...

Quote:
Hey Marko, Teddy told me you were asking about me. When will you have all your stuff together?

I was told today that mine will be here the week of the 15th
Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #89
Jean H.318TI

hey how much does it cost the rally head?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #90
marko

$1500 or so + core (stock cams)...

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/m...ne-booklet.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
hey how much does it cost the rally head?