318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,784 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,738 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,905 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #61
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
Planksta, did you run the codes on your engine yet? Since it's OBD1 you can do it yourself. Write down what codes you get now, then clear them and see what comes back. This will help narrow down the problem.
This link will show you how:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm
That's pretty cool I'm guna try it
Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #62
planksta

Quote:
Planksta, did you run the codes on your engine yet? Since it's OBD1 you can do it yourself. Write down what codes you get now, then clear them and see what comes back. This will help narrow down the problem.
This link will show you how:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm
I tried this and I couldn't get it to work
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #63
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
hmm ok, well there's no real way to check the cat(that I know of) other than removing it and shaking it to see if you can hear stuff rattling around inside of it, aside from taking it in and having an emissions test performed. The problem with doing so is that you run a great risk of snapping the studs off of the header. If that happens, which is pretty common, you have to drill them out and from what I've read it's a total PITA due to the angle and cramped workspace. Maybe you could try removing the oil cap while it's idling and see if that relieves some of the pressure or if the idle changes. Usually, the engine won't even idle if the oil cap is off, so put your hand over the opening and see if you feel pressure building up.
Hey jesse i was just reading over this again and i realized that you said an emissions test performed would tell whether it was the cat or not, i had an emissions test done a few months back and i had all of these problems during that test and i passed the test fine so idk, im half tempted to take my cat off like you said, even if i run the risk of breaking those studs, if i take the cat off do those studs come off with the cat or are they attached to the headers??
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #64
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

The studs are part of the header. I wouldn't do it unless you know your cat is bad. I mean, did the shop stick a probe in the muffler and give you a printout with results?
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #65
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
The studs are part of the header. I wouldn't do it unless you know your cat is bad. I mean, did the shop stick a probe in the muffler and give you a printout with results?
Yea I looked under there today and it does seem pretty cramped, its more my impatience and love for working on the car that makes me want to jump under there and start tearing out and replacing you know haha, and yea I got a print out of the results, im not positive on the probe thing but it says catalytic converter pass, plus i know the owner and i told him to test it to see if anything was wrong and nothing was wrong that he could find as far as codes and emissions went
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #66
dave45056

Keep trying to get the codes. Most people try to push on the gas pedal too quickly and don't push it all the way down. 5 seconds is a ton of time to floor the gas pedal down 5 times. put the key in position 2, wait for the check engine light to come on then push the pedal down deliberately 5 times. Have a pen and paper handy.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #67
planksta

Quote:
Keep trying to get the codes. Most people try to push on the gas pedal too quickly and don't push it all the way down. 5 seconds is a ton of time to floor the gas pedal down 5 times. put the key in position 2, wait for the check engine light to come on then push the pedal down deliberately 5 times. Have a pen and paper handy.
My check engine light never comes on whether i put the car in the second position or if i have it running, so what your saying is that my CEL should come on when the key is in position 2 before i do anything right?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #68
dave45056

I have a feeling someone removed the bulb.
This video shows what it should look like:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #69
planksta

So its getting worse, i went out today and started the car cause i had to drive it to the store, i usually let it warm up for a few minutes so that the car wont struggle as much like it does when it first starts up, came back out a few minutes later and the car was idling at like 2000 rpms and a lot of white smoke was blowing out the pipe and it was spitting out moisture also, so i hit the gas on the hill that im parked on and this super loud screeching noise happend and the car was running like it wanted to take off, like when i just put it in drive it usually slowly moves but it was taking off without me even hitting the gas i had to slam on the brakes to keep it put, so at this time i was down the hill and the car started bogging and then died and refused to start up again, so i let her sit at the bottom of the hill and later in the day i went down and she started right up and parked it back in my drive way, I dont know what to do
Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #70
dave45056

based on everything you have said this is starting to sound like a Head Gasket.
White smoke after warm up is a dead giveaway. Do a leakdown test or there is another test that checks your coolant for exhaust gases. Search this site, there is a post about it.