318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 973,929 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #31
tEso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpwr
I have had both a 95ti and a 96ti. Both are bone stock. I bought my 1995 when it was brand new liked it so much I purchased a 96 sport last march. As far as max power you probably couldnt tell a difference by the seat of your pants dyno. The lower powerband on the 96ti seems to be the biggest difference. I always had to drive the piss out of the 95 to keep the revs up over 4500 rpm to get any power out of it. The lower powerband and added torque seem to make a big difference in the lower rpms. The power curve seems much smoother in the 96.
I think what u just wrote is correct and im with u.. !
BMW arent that dumb to release the M44 with a weaker engine than the M42 ..
the M44 is supposed to the Evolution of the M42 just like the M40 then came the M42... !
..::bmw E36/5 316i ...Hamann 17" HM2 Rims.....K&N superflow filter....Hamann E36 Exhaust.....Mtech body kit with a Rieger M E46 bumper.....E46 M original Electrical folding up mirriors.... Gonna b Sc soon...! ::..
http://home.insightbb.com/~shahabm3/...0/site1014.jpg
tEso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #32
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

i googled it and it came out to be like 140hp didn't tell the torque

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #33
SporTi

Default m42 vs m44 power help

I bought a 95 Ti 64000 miles 5 speed about a month ago. It is fun, but seemed like I had to work the hell out of it to get power (Clutch is probably reaching end of life too). Once I added up the cost of adding all the Sport body stuff and Seats that I wanted, I decided to just by a Sport and found a 97 Sport (120,000 miles). Now the question. The Sport (which I just got a few days ago seems to have significantly more power than the 95. Both appear stock, no intakes, stock exhausts. Any idea what I should look for to explain the difference? I'd like to have the 95 running as strong as possible when I sell.
SporTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #34
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporTi
I bought a 95 Ti 64000 miles 5 speed about a month ago. It is fun, but seemed like I had to work the hell out of it to get power (Clutch is probably reaching end of life too). Once I added up the cost of adding all the Sport body stuff and Seats that I wanted, I decided to just by a Sport and found a 97 Sport (120,000 miles). Now the question. The Sport (which I just got a few days ago seems to have significantly more power than the 95. Both appear stock, no intakes, stock exhausts. Any idea what I should look for to explain the difference? I'd like to have the 95 running as strong as possible when I sell.
Individual engines may vary. My 91 318is seems to make a lot more power than when I bought it a year ago especially at the top end - I think the M42 is finally really getting broken in as it passses 130K.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 AM   #35
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpwr
I have had both a 95ti and a 96ti. Both are bone stock. I bought my 1995 when it was brand new liked it so much I purchased a 96 sport last march. As far as max power you probably couldnt tell a difference by the seat of your pants dyno. The lower powerband on the 96ti seems to be the biggest difference. I always had to drive the piss out of the 95 to keep the revs up over 4500 rpm to get any power out of it. The lower powerband and added torque seem to make a big difference in the lower rpms. The power curve seems much smoother in the 96.
Having owned both as well, I would agree with this assesment.

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 AM   #36
tigruppe

Just to answer a few questions for you guys on this. In 96 big brother mandated OBDII and a smog pump. These changes caused the M42 to lose a bit of power. To compensate BMW changed the stroke to add some torque to the motors to keep them up with the previous years models. The quicker reving 95 has a lot to do with not having to drive a smog pump which has parasitic power.

As far as power differences there was something on a dealership level that cars taken in for service were hooked up to a computer and downloaded a milder program which robbed them of power. A shark upgrade should help out with this. Also there was a trick in spreading the cam timing out that helped out as well.
tigruppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #37
bullmand

OK, couple of problems here: I assume when you say smog pump that you must be talking about the Secondary Air Pump, which is not belt driven and therefore causes no parasitic loss. The last time I looked at my M44 the only belt driven items were the AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump. The other thing you're talking about was a Technical Service Bulletin to deal with customer complaints of a rough idle. It involved a software "update" and a slight adjustment to the timing to smooth out the idle. The uncofirmed(AFAIK) internet rumors about this adjustment indicate that it causes a slight reduction in power, but I've never seen anybody back that up with any kind of before and after comparison.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #38
tigruppe

Sorry about the pump being driven by the motor. Meant to say the addition of the pump and OBDII caused a reduction in the power of the M42 like the M50 so BMW upped the torque to try and keep the same seat of the pants feel.

As far as the software update that has been verified by a number of people arround this area, on previous ti boards and by a number of BMW techinicians that I associate with.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #39
bullmand

What's the difference in HP and torque before and after the "update". I only ask because I've never seen any actual numbers. Does anybody know what model years it affected. Was it all of them?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
tigruppe

The update affected the M44 engine in the ti, z, and 318i/s autos from '96 to '98 I believe. Ten years ago somebody did do the test on the dyno and found it to lose about 5-7 rwhp and a couple twisties. Cannot find that discussion now because it was on a ti board I use to run which I let go a few years ago.

One of the BMW techs that I have known for years was able to get the power back by splitting the cams 1-2 degrees.