318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 101,433 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 64,467 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,651 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
geetarspaz

Vehicles
Default back seat in, or out?

just for fun,

who here leaves their back seat in, seats up, with the trunk cover,
or
who has the back seat out & seats down making full use of the hatch?

i love having my back seat out with the seats down having that huge space back there for all my stuff, but at the same time i love having the seats up to complete it's look.

Edit* when I say back seat out I don't mean the whole seat, just the butt part so the back rest goes flatter. But little late for that

Last edited by geetarspaz; 08-31-2011 at 04:55 AM.
geetarspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Although I never use my rear seat, I think it looks dumb without it. I know a lot of people remove it to reduce unecessary weight and I fully respect that if you're at or going to a race track. Any other time, it just looks like you're a wannabe racer. Someone is trying to sell a gutted ti in the forum classifieds right now. He claims he spent "dozens" of hours removing it which is complete BS. The most laughable part other than the fact that he'll probably never sell his car because he threw the interior away, is that in his listing he calls it a "bonus" and a "big plus" like he's doing any potential buyers a huge favor. It'd be like trying to sell a car and telling the buyers you did them a favor by removing the paint
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
geetarspaz

Vehicles

that's why i like to leave mine in because it looks nice, but i love the space the full hatch offers
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

I've got one ti with the back seat in and the other one with the backseat removed, having the backseat out does look pretty bad but on a track car it's not a big deal
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
dahamler

I like to travel light.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
geetarspaz

Vehicles

O_O
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarspaz View Post
that's why i like to leave mine in because it looks nice, but i love the space the full hatch offers
Do the seat backs fold down further if the bottom portion of the seat is removed? I can't really see it making that much more of a difference as far as space goes. I fit a whole 318ti/e36 sedan hood in my cargo area with the hatch fully closed and the seats folded down. Bluebimma transported a complete M50 in his cargo area with the rear seat installed. I used to toss my bike back there all the time. My surfboard fit across the top of the rear seat and onto the passenger seat which was reclined, but it got wax everywhere. Note to self, don't leave surfboard in car even with the windows down
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
hotmilk400

yeah, i would say that it could not possible add that much room. the rear seat is like maybe 6 - 9 inchs think, and already holds down almost flat.

it is also really light. if you are going to race, and you remove everything like above, it might shave off a few pounds. for everyday use, it will not speed your car up or improve gas millage. you would probably save more money by just not filling up your gas tank all the way (probably weighs more then the interior if you only fill up your tank 1/4 of the way every time you fill up)

everyone has there own reasons though. i know having the space in the trunk is really useful.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
geetarspaz

Vehicles

I decided to keep it in. Without it looks awkward you know ? Just having the seats flipped down all the time.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamler View Post
I like to travel light FAST.
Fixed.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Although I never use my rear seat, I think it looks dumb without it. I know a lot of people remove it to reduce unecessary weight and I fully respect that if you're at or going to a race track. Any other time, it just looks like you're a wannabe racer. Someone is trying to sell a gutted ti in the forum classifieds right now. He claims he spent "dozens" of hours removing it which is complete BS. The most laughable part other than the fact that he'll probably never sell his car because he threw the interior away, is that in his listing he calls it a "bonus" and a "big plus" like he's doing any potential buyers a huge favor. It'd be like trying to sell a car and telling the buyers you did them a favor by removing the paint
I've seen a number of cars ruined this way. If you're going to take the interior out then why not store it in case you want to put it back in? It just makes no sense and whenever I'm looking at cars I just keep looking if it doesn't have an interior.

I've run no back seat in plenty of cars, but usually it was for cargo purposes. That 20lbs isn't going to make much difference day to day.
vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote