318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 846 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,366 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
318ti_Portugal

Default Differences: Ti rear axle VS Mcoupe?

Hello...

Besides the springs, shocks, brakes diff and sway bar, are there any more differences between the stock ti rear axle and the Mcoupe one?

regards!
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgal...r=1407&cat=500
318ti_Portugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

subframe, trailing arms, where the parking brake cables attach ... don't think there's much left
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
318ti_Portugal

Sorry the newb question, but what are the Trailing arms and subframe?
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

parts #1 and #7 (of course, there's one trailing arm per side):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=33&fg=30
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
weezer

Default Pics of Z3 M coupe suspension

It is very similar if not the same:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=33&fg=30

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

BMW strengthened the trailing arms and, according to J!m, the subframe too. the pics look the same, but they aren't the same. i sure hope they're similar or else they wouldn't work

Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
318ti_Portugal

Do the M roadster Rear brake calipers mount on the trailing arm?

My Picture Gallery:
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

The M roadster sub-frame is substantially larger in just about all dimensions, but mounts to the same locations in the ti with no problems at all. (I had less mufler clearance with the M roadster sub frame assembly installed) Also, the half-shafts are A LOT beefier than the ti ones. I would guess double the weight based on my eye (I did not disassemble and weigh parts)- the diameter is much larger and the CV joints are much larger.

I had to NOT use the factory e-brake cable clips on the M roadster trailing arms, as the cables are just a bit too short wrapping around the beefed up trailing arms. I used some 1/2 inch wide zip-ties (rated for about 100lb each I think) to hold the cable to the trailing arms. The roadster cables are WAY too short to be used; perhaps the M3 cables will work, but I did not try them.

The brake pipes need to be cut, re-bent and re-flared (European flare), or replaced completely with new ones. The pipe enters the caliper at a different location on the M calipers than on the ti calipers, but it's not a huge deal.

Also, on the roadster, the pipe 'wyes' on the car body and the two flex pipes enter the calipers directly from above, whereas on the ti it 'wyes' on the sub frame, and two hard lines go to each caliper. The nice thing is the mounting tabs for the "ti way" are on the sub-frame, unused by the roadster, just waiting for this swap!

It really is an easy swap. The ti drive shaft bolts right onto the M roadster diff input flange, all the ti mounting bolts are reused... Why does everyone try to mix and match parts? If I break down, I can get a part at any dealer. M roadster rear suspension, M3 front suspension. It makes life much easier down the road, and I like easy...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i may consider it once i supercharge. where does one find a whole subframe? i'm also guessing the cost is a good bit more now (say $2k or more).

Old 01-20-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
weezer

Beefier subframe, better traction better everything......however and unforitunately......I wonder if the E36 rear frame structural integrity may be more compromised without serious reinforcements. In addition to better shock mounts, reinforcements to the shock mount's sheet metal that involves welding?
Any thoughts on this?

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #11
J!m

Vehicles

I've been driving on mine for quite a bit of time, quite a few miles (several trips from CT to WV as well) and no problems to report at all!

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote