318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
hotmilk400

Default .... my trunk =] and the $1800 sound system in it

Okay. So, before i tell u about my cars killer sound system, i have to start off by saying, i bought my 318ti with 110,000 miles for $1,500... it needed minor work (cost me $200) and its perfect now (execpt the driver door is smashed in, the lower part of both bumpers are alittle messed up, and a mouse was living in the air filter) okay, anyway, i bought this car dirt cheap (sold my other car just for this one because of the price) it came with a $1500 sound system already installed (he showed me the reciets) It came with 2 cross fire amps, 2 cross fire crossovers, and a $350ish sub.. i forget the name of it. its wired up for 100 amp Amps, (but the amps only draw like 15 amps, but sound wise, they put out as much as a 400 watt amp.. ) okay, so the big thing i wanna ask u guys is.. i just made this custom panel for my trunk. it holds a 15 inch speaker (not a sub) its a loud (PA like) speaker. its briged with the one crossfire amp as the rear (the front are used for my front stock speakers) the other cross fire amp died, and was replaced with a bazooka 500 watt rms amp. that one runs the Sub in my trunk, (its only turned up half way, and the radio is at -7 bass) anyway.. i was woundering if i should make the other panel for the 2nd 15 inch speaker.. it takes hours to make them.. and.. it cost alot.. its very very loud as it is, and i was thinking of just painting the other one and putting it in without the speaker to save time and money.. should i add the other speaker? or just paint the panel? these panels cost like $100 each for me to make, and hours of time... here are pictures.. let me know..
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
thesk8nmidget

not to bad. have you ran a decibel meter on it?
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
jgrimm

Why do you need that much bass? Rap fan?
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
thesk8nmidget

i dont even think this will produce that much bass. that sub has very very little air space to work with and its not pushing that much power. i would bet it is more of a clear sound not heart pounding bass you would think or expect from a 15.

i think rock/punk if you wanna call it sound way better with bass. but usually you see people bumping rap loudly when they have a sub.

i would perfer a much different set up
Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
elchicano

Quality over quantity, get a better amp and 10'' or 12'' subs. You completely have no trunk space so i would free some of it up. I'm gonna get a new system myself. I don't have much but it bumps hard. I'm surprised your 15" has ripped yet, but yeah i would go with smaller subs and a bigger amp, IMO.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Marv17

dude. thats massive. but in any case, how would you change the bulbs in the tail lights if it went out?
imo, i'd just put in a 12" sub with the right amount of air space needed with a nice amp. Alpine or Kicker.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
jbxblitz

demons in the trunk!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Mallard

Vehicles

take out the spare wheel and tray , and fabricate a bass bin for that

Hole the boot floor and fabr. a tray to carry the sub flush with the floor

Then heavy duty mesh over , and reskin the whole boot floor to cover.

No one will ever know you have a set up , and the car will THUMP..

..although if you got all that for free, why f**k with it

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
b.u.ti-ful

Hey Mallard, walk over to the Bang & Olufsen headquarters and grab us all an armload of audio equipment.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
robcarync

lol you got enough speakers in that car.....leave it
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
hotmilk400

yeah, its very loud. im not a rap fan, more of a rock/metal fan.

its bassy if u want it to be. the amps are top of the line btw. the crossfire ones cost about $350 when they were new. they are 35 watts per channel, 4 channel, and the bazooka is 500 watts rms.. the sub is VERY LOUD and like doesnt need alot of power to run it. ill pick out the name of the sub later. its PURE BASS..

i bought the 15 inch speaker for sound, not bass. my rear speakers are both broken from water damage (when i bought the car) and so i added that one. yeah, i think im going to just paint the other panel, and finish the job now.

I can still get to the tail lights to change the bulbs.. i have enough space to pull out the panel, but i can easily remove the entire panel with the sub in like 10 minutes.. ..

i make alot of people made with my sound system... i guess alot of people in rich high class areas dont like to listen to rock or metal when they are going to work.. haha...

ill up date u guys if i add anything else..

i wanna run a decibel meter on it, but im not sure where i can get that done at, unless i buy one.. so maybe i will look into it more.. im curious myself..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

your system cost as much as my car! I like the custom panel for the 15" though, looks clean
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
hotmilk400

yeah, same here.. my 1998 318ti only cost $1500 , and came with most of the sound system already installed.. haha.

liek i said before, the kid i bought it from had $0 money, and he always took it to the dealer to get it fixed. they told him like $1000 to fix the sunroof, the 2 windows that where off the track in the doors. the inside was also water damaged (the headliner damaged, the driver seat is rusted in place and the rear speakers blown ) they told him $600 for that.

well.. i fixed the headliner, i created a new rear speaker, the driver seat is alittle better, but still stuck in one spot. the sunroof is fixed, the passanger window is fixed (the driver side needs alot more work, the door is smashed in) total, it cost like $250 i guess for everything so far.. better then $1600 .. haha.. there was other stuff. the front right rim is bent, the front right armature was bent, (but not anymore) its fine now..

Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
thesk8nmidget

post some full shots of the car!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
M3_KILL3R

the sub wont do the job its meant for it doesnt have enough room for the air to bounce off or enclosed in a way for the sound to be concealed. That other box is right in front of the sub is that another sub or just a box for the air to move into

in any case the +1 on the LED lights in the trunk

but all that extra weight