318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #1
itzyoubob

Default I picked up my 98 ti today...

she's sweeter than I imagined... for the maden voyage, I drove Ft Lauderdale to St Pete at 4-5000 rpm in 5th [80-110mph] and she had me smilin' all the way... I think I'll sell the ol' Miata [a great car also but much smaller and less refined] while she's still in good shape and can make someone else happy...
itzyoubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
KdCass

Sooo.. which one feels better on the butt dyno. Old miata?

-Dave
KdCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Boxbrownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdCass
Sooo.. which one feels better on the butt dyno. Old miata?

-Dave

BUTT dyno? I like it..........easier to say than "seat of the pants"

Best regards David
Boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
itzyoubob

The miata has been a great ride for years and I will have another sometime. Easy to drive, very forgiving, go-kart like manners and simple and cheeeeep to repair [not that it needed much]. I've always said it was the most fun in 3rd gear at 5000 rpm with the top down. By far it is the most trouble free car I've had. It topped my personal best cars list until my 98tisport. I am selling the Miata to a friend so I can occaisionally still enjoy it. Overall it was more fun but less comfortable.

Ti takes it for comfort, style, quality, stability at higher speeds, better mpgs. I suspect this car is going to be a great upgrade over the Miata and have no regrets but will miss the droptop.

Other greats I have had: 89 735i 5spd, 94 STS Northstar, 83 GTI, 91 Accord EX wagon, 90 VW Fox wagon, Mid 80's Toyota vans, LUV 4x4.

Or way back when... 57 Buick Special 2dr 3spd parade float, 64 442, 73 Duster 318 v8, 74 LTD Brougham battleship 351, sev'ral mid 80's 5.0 conv's, 85 Dodge Omelette Shelby turbo GLH [fast but fell apart like hell], and a large amount of AMC concord/spirit/gremlin/eagle thingies tossed in for giggles [an underrated neocollectible group]...

I seem to always go for the 'cult' or at least odd types. LOL
Old 04-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
KdCass

My butt dyno had a gas leek this morning so Im going to take it out for a spin...heheh lol

Nice list of cars. You should 'fogg' your airbox if you haven't. It makes a noticable difference after 4k, especially on third gear pulls like you mentioniond with the mazda.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
itzyoubob

What is "fogging'"?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
KdCass

Well, there are some how-to's on this board and bimmerforums.

You should first open your stock airbox and take all the foam out. The foam breaks down after a few years and will clog the filter, or get in the engine because its after the filter as well.

Youll need a dremel and a hose/tube. 10mm 12mm socket and an extension.

I used a universal intake tube from autozone. Its a 'accordian' style that the lengt can be changed is very flexible and cheap.

Obviously youll have to remove the airbox, not hard just take your time and REMOVE anything in your way. All togher its only like 6 nuts and bolts.

Cut a hole the bottom of the air box. I cut mine on the front, the side parallell to the bumper. If you do it here make sure your tube will clear the radiator. You will have to move the horn to make room for the hose to go down behing the fog light. You can just invert the horn on the same bracket.

I cut the hole slightly smaller than the hose. Because of its collapsable construction you can 'screw' it into the hole.

Well thats my version. The man who thought it up proved its worth with lots of data.

All and all the car pulls harder up high and is very slightly louder.

For more info search here and bimmerforums.com

-Dave