318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 52 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,216 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Borg561

Default Aftermarket headunit

Okay, so before I traded my old car in, I yanked my JVC headunit out of it with the intention of having it put into my Ti. I bought it at Best Buy a few years ago and they installed it in my last two car.

My '97 Ti has the 10 speaker sound system and I've read of the issues with it and an aftermarket headunit. I've read back through this forum (think I stopped around page 20) and now my head is spinning. I was planning on taking the car in to Best Buy again and have them do it, but then I read someone say that apparently Best Buy isn't supposed to work on BMWs. Would I be better of spending a little extra money and taking it into a professional car audio place and have them do it?

Don't have the money to upgrade the speakers & amp right now, so I'm stuck with what's in the car. Right now I just really want to get a CD player (that plays MP3/WMA files) into the car, as I'm getting bored of the radio.

Also, what's the little red blinky light on the stock headunit (C33 model) next to the power/volume know? I don't think my car has the factory alarm system and I read it's light is near the cigarette lighter anyway.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
thesk8nmidget

yeah i would take it to a nicer place and pay the extra few dollars.

and that light it just to make people think there is an alarm.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

that's to indicate that the head unit is coded. if someone steals it, when it's next powered on, they have to enter the correct code or it won't work. you *should* have gotten a code card from the previous owner.

whomever you have do the work, i would make sure they use an adapter kit instead of splicing in the wires for the new headunit. makes it plug'n'play and maintains all the original connections.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

try taking it to Best Buy anyways, they aren't supposed to work on BMWs, but they did anyways on mine, the guy activated the anti-theft system on the car and it wouldn't start, so he had to make a bunch of phone calls and eventually he got it to work right, but he didn't plug my iPod connector in right so I had to go back and the same guy fixed it for free
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Borg561

Didn't get a card with the factory radio code on it with the car, but there was paperwork in the glovebox from when the tint was put in. There was a printout with the radio code on it with that. It sounds like I need the little cage piece that came with the headunit, right? I needed that for my first car when I got the headunit, but not my last one. Guess I should find that before taking the car in.

BTW, I've always liked purple cars. What's the name of that color? And did you perhaps get the car off eBay, or is that plate just a coincidence?

Justin
Old 03-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalifestyle800 View Post
i would give a +1 to cali-ti on ordering the adapter kit for the head unit. i think you can purchase them off crutchfield.com and it makes things a lot easier to plug and play, and a lot more easy if you ever want to go back to the factory head unit.
So does Best Buy not stock the correct adapter kit? I've always had them use one as it makes it so much easier to pull the radio out of the car if need be at a later time. I've seen a lot of posts mention crutchfield.com for the adapter kit. Does the kit come with the harness and antenna adapter, or is just the harness adapter? I'll guess I'll have to go take a look.

Justin
Old 03-16-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg561 View Post
BTW, I've always liked purple cars. What's the name of that color? And did you perhaps get the car off eBay, or is that plate just a coincidence?
yeah, it's Cordoba Red Metallic (or Cordobarot in German) and yes, the plate is a coincidence
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
Borg561

Just double checking so I get the right items. Input my car model into Crutchfield. Came up with this wiring harness and this antenna adapter, right?

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Justin
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

hmmmm ... not positive on that antenna adapter, but then yours is a 97 and i have a 96. here's what my antenna connector looks like (that plugs into the stock radio):
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 AM   #10
losichu

Best Buy does have the wiring adapter and antenna adapter. They are a little steep at $20 each but you can pay it. I don't see why anyone would chop the harness to save a few bucks. If you can't afford it, don't swap out the radio. I'm not saying you can't, just do things the right way. I have the 10 speaker system and it works just fine with my alpine 9813 so it should work with any other regular radio.
losichu is offline   Reply With Quote