318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Differentials

Notices

Differentials Limit Slip, gear ratio discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,940 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,887 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
ssprint

Default Diff seal leak

It is hard to replace a Differential seal? My differential started leaking after a garbage bag wrap around it while drive home. i was able to removed the tangle plastic bag but i notice leak after driving the car. Does anyone know a step by step fix procedure or a link. thanks
ssprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
JPerfect

Default It's not a hard process

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_final_drive_fluid_change.html

It's not a hard process, and fortunately for you, the gasket is between 3 and five dollars from BMW.

Follow the directions for the fluid change, but when all the fluid is out, unbolt the cover and replace the gasket. Then you bolt it back on.

Few tools you'll need that arent common, but they're available at napa for a pretty reasonable price.

Good luck.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
pdxmotorhead

Your talking about which seal?

1. Pinion seal (Seals driveline input to diff.)
2. Axle seal (1 on each side behind CV joints.)
3. Diff cover seal (as described in previous post....)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
L84THSKY

If you are referring to the flange seals, I was gonna do them, but decided not to. Couldn't figure it out easily, and they didn't seem to be leaking, so I just popped the flanges in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprint View Post
It is hard to replace a Differential seal? My differential started leaking after a garbage bag wrap around it while drive home. i was able to remove the tangle plastic bag but i notice leak after drive the car. does anyone know a step by step fix procedure or a link. thanks

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
ssprint

this is where the diff leak is coming from.

driverside axle seal.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
L84THSKY

Those are the ones I bought the seals for, but never replaced. I think someone on this site "Cali-Ti" replaced them, when he did his diff swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprint View Post
this is where the diff leak is coming from.

driverside axle seal.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
ssprint

bump. anyone else had the same problem? let me know thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
marleymon

I'm bumping this..to see if the output seals are easy to do?
will the shafts drop once unbolted to the flanges? (I did this on an e21 lsd- the shafts are flatter though and dropped easily, flanges popped out easily making the seal replacement a breeze.)

the link above is for the cover gasket...
anyone done this on their own?
tia-joshua
Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
marleymon

has anybody dropped the CV's for a seal replacement?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
L84THSKY

Are you referring to part #6?

I couldn't figure out how to replace them, or I would have done it. You will have to pop out the flanges, then get the lock ring out. REALOEM says there is a lock ring that holds the seal in. It just didn't look intuitive when I looked at it. If you need to replace it, then do the deed, it can't be too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymon View Post
I'm bumping this..to see if the output seals are easy to do?
will the shafts drop once unbolted to the flanges? (I did this on an e21 lsd- the shafts are flatter though and dropped easily, flanges popped out easily making the seal replacement a breeze.)

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
marleymon

Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
marleymon

doh- wait- unbolt the cv from flange....unbolt the shock and the rear sway....hang the arm...then it (the lip) can clear the the flange....?
I'll get it this weekend.....forgot the arm would hang lower ...doh