318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Automatic Transmission idiot light...

My auto transmission light came on twice yesterday with the ASC+T and today i took it for a drive around the block and it didn't come on. Now when i touch the gas pedal wheher it's in drive or in park the rpm's drop almost sound like it's going to stall. I haven't driven it on the main rd yet so i don't know what to expect.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
mickd

Not to familiar with the auto trans but it is processor controlled. Don't know if it is a separate system though. Don't know if it stores fault codes or not. I know others on the board have found service shops that read the codes for free, or in the worse case, see if they'll read it at a dealer.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Time for a transmission swap, I'll walk you through it.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
1rstbmw!

Yeah I have been trying to tear mine up for an excuse to get a swap lol
1rstbmw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Well i guess i'll see what happens on my ride to work tomorrow. Thank god i got AAA incase something really goes wrong.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rstbmw!
Yeah I have been trying to tear mine up for an excuse to get a swap lol
Me too! I WISH I had the idiot light
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

My Auto trans light came on twice this morning,i shutoff my car the 2 times it hapeend and light went off. Once light went off there was no hesitation when touching gas pedal. I was crusing at 60 then at 65 and didn't go past 70. I didn't want to push it further,i'm thinking it's more of the computer not the transmission but what do i know i'm just a boy from new england. Let's see what happens tonight on the ride home.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

How does the car shift after the light comes on? When mine came on, it SLAMMED into gear, very hard, very bad. I guess that happens when you do full throttle, full boost shifts in 10 degree weather. Opps. Seriously, do the swap.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
How does the car shift after the light comes on? When mine came on, it SLAMMED into gear, very hard, very bad. I guess that happens when you do full throttle, full boost shifts in 10 degree weather. Opps. Seriously, do the swap.

When the light was on the shifting was a little rough,it didn't slamm into gear. When it was off car runs great,no hesitation or anything.

How much did your swap cost you? It's not something i could do myself with no garage and in this weather i'd have to pay someone and it probally isn't cheap.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Your right, it's probably too expensive if you have to pay someone to do it. It took me 20+ hours for the complete swap plus the differential. The parts cost around $1500-$2500 depending on where you get them from. I used lots of new parts, so I paid more. Looking back, that the best $2500 I've spent of the car....it's just as enjoyable as the supercharger was.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 AM   #11
robcarync

did you do an auto to manual swap? or auto to auto or manual to manual?? just curious
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync
did you do an auto to manual swap? or auto to auto or manual to manual?? just curious
auto to manual. That's the only way to do it.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Well i'm not a happy camper this morning,not since i have to drop 3k into my car if not more. Man i was pissed when i saw the line of problems,there were so many i can't even list them right now. Off the top of my head throtle body sensor,camshaft sensor,belts and one other thing i'm getting done today. So todays bills is about 1k,like $600 for the first to sensors. I need 2 gaskets replaced on the side of the engine $1024,brake lines/flush um oil pan blah blah blah. I will update everyone tomorrow on what went wrong.

So i got a rental car for today,they gave me a Checy Equinox or something an AWD suv.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
Well i'm not a happy camper this morning,not since i have to drop 3k into my car if not more. Man i was pissed when i saw the line of problems,there were so many i can't even list them right now. Off the top of my head throtle body sensor,camshaft sensor,belts and one other thing i'm getting done today. So todays bills is about 1k,like $600 for the first to sensors. I need 2 gaskets replaced on the side of the engine $1024,brake lines/flush um oil pan blah blah blah. I will update everyone tomorrow on what went wrong.

So i got a rental car for today,they gave me a Checy Equinox or something an AWD suv.
How are any of those related to your transmission??

Sorry to hear about the big bill, that sucks!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
How are any of those related to your transmission??

Sorry to hear about the big bill, that sucks!
I told him to check the codes out and i'll go from there. There were 4 codes that came up and everything else they noticed while it was on the lift. The brake lines i'm sketical about cause i never see any fluid on the ground underneath my car. I'm having the 4 things done to it today which he said would make the car operate at 100% or close to it. He wanted the 90,xxx mile check done to it for like $679 which i put off. When they call me tomorrow i'm gonna ask some questions,just gonna jot them down so i don't forget.