318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 947,203 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,646 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-31-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Viper3812

Default Audio Help!!!

I just got my door panels fixed and am ready to put back on, but I need new door panel speakers. I am thinking of replacing all of my speakers with some JL XR components (5.25 and tweeters) and then some 4" TR's in the rear.

I was talking to a friend of mine a that I sould go with this setup and get an alpine headunit probably the cda 9847 and an amp for the components.

I then went to an audio shop and they said htat because of the ti setup I should put some small chrysler jeep cherokee 4" speakers in the door panel and then put whatever in the kick panels. He also said that I sould go for Boston speakers because the magnet on the JL's are bigger and probably won't fit.

Anyone have either setup or can help me out and suggest on what I should do?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
m44ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3812
I just got my door panels fixed and am ready to put back on, but I need new door panel speakers. I am thinking of replacing all of my speakers with some JL XR components (5.25 and tweeters) and then some 4" TR's in the rear.

I was talking to a friend of mine a that I sould go with this setup and get an alpine headunit probably the cda 9847 and an amp for the components.

I then went to an audio shop and they said htat because of the ti setup I should put some small chrysler jeep cherokee 4" speakers in the door panel and then put whatever in the kick panels. He also said that I sould go for Boston speakers because the magnet on the JL's are bigger and probably won't fit.

Anyone have either setup or can help me out and suggest on what I should do?
sounds like they are just trying to get you to spend more money, they should be able to fit whatever you want, also 5 1/4's fit in the rear pretty good with little modification
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
jflip2002

If youre not going to have subs, Id get kicker components. They have good bass for being components. But if you are going to have subs, Id get MB Quartz. They dont have any bass, but the highs are ear piercing, which go great with the subs.

If youre car is and form of blue base or tint, Id have the kicker guards exposed. I like the way the new 05 models look, they switched from red and graphite to blue and silver. Maybe my style is a little different though. But if I spend $280 or so on some front components, I kind of want them to be seen as other than stock.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Viper3812

I already have 2 10" JL W3's powered by a 500/1 amp that I'm putting back in, so my whole system could be JL with a new apline headunit and maybe a JL 450/4 amp for the components.

The XR components run around $400 and my friend can get them for about $250. He told me that he would give me the components, the 4" TR's, and alpine headunit for $600 installed. Does that sound fair?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #5
jflip2002

If he owns or is affiliated with an audio shop, he gets them very cheap. I know the people who own a small audio shop here in fresno, called "Radio Club", and I got my subs, box, cap, and amp for $400 plus a Throwback Jersey lol. They get $400 components for about $180-220, so after a small profit, id say thats fair.

Im not fond of JL, Xr,or Alpine really, so Im not too familiar with it. I hate audiobahn, but the subs sound very nice. Im more of a Kicker and Pioneer fan, personally. But that doesnt sound too bad at all, I would take him up on it, especially if it makes everything in your car match up.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
changus

I removed my rear speakers (due to one was blown) and was able to fit a pair of 5 1/4 Infiniti kappa series in the speaker pods. After getting rid of the black plastic funnel like piece that angled the speakers into the car and fashioning a flat wooden template the new 5 1/4 sounded like crap. It appears that angle made a big difference with the high end sound from the rear speakers firing into the cabin. at first I though I should have paid more than $120 for the speakers, but after making another template by stacking and gluing three MDF pieces together and then shaping it with a belt sander so that the speakers mounted on a angle of about 30 degrees and fired into the car and not up at the rear glass, it sounded great, for not having an amp and it all appears stock. The MDF did a great job dampening the sound too. I later followed with some small caps for bass blockers. Good and cheap, however I'm now looking for the perfect set of separates for the front that will fit without any mods at all. Any suggestions? I was qouted $400 today for Boston Acoustic Pro50 separates. Anyone know of a better deal or less expensive alternative?
changus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
JPerfect

Default watchit

if you put 4 inch speakers in the door, don't do what my friend did...

he put them in, finished the job, sounded freakin sweet...
then he realized he couldnt close his window.
imagine how red he got.

i laughed because it was a honda and he, is an idiot.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote