318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,309,728 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,432 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Juni

Thumbs up Great deal on hand

Hey guys need some guidence,

I know this guy that owns a body shop, so some guy brings in a messed up 95 325is balck on black for body work. It has 30K on the clock! So he gets most of the body work done, and at some point the owner of the car goes to jail for fraud or something. Then the bank wants to repo the car, but since the body shop had done all this work, they didnt want to lose their money.

So in the end they go to court and get to keep the car by law. Although you cannot register it in MA. Sold as a parts car only........He told me that I can have it for $1500. Now the interior in the car is mint, its 6cyl, 5 speed, and 30K on the engine to boot. Should I buy the car and use what I need and part out the rest? This would be one of the cheapest conversions options I'll probably ever have. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
L84THSKY

That motor sounds tempting. That could be the start of a 6 cylinder swap. Any one think this engine would be a good choice for a swap. I would go in with you on purchasing the car.
Are you sure about the mileage, and history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
Hey guys need some guidence,

I know this guy that owns a body shop, so some guy brings in a messed up 95 325is balck on black for body work. It has 30K on the clock! So he gets most of the body work done, and at some point the owner of the car goes to jail for fraud or something. Then the bank wants to repo the car, but since the body shop had done all this work, they didnt want to lose their money.

So in the end they go to court and get to keep the car by law. Although you cannot register it in MA. Sold as a parts car only........He told me that I can have it for $1500. Now the interior in the car is mint, its 6cyl, 5 speed, and 30K on the engine to boot. Should I buy the car and use what I need and part out the rest? This would be one of the cheapest conversions options I'll probably ever have. Any thoughts would be helpful.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:56 AM   #3
Juni

Car faxed it and everything. It's accurate. I sounds like the project is really coming alive now.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Platanos

1500!!!!! thats insane....you better get on that!!! Damn you lucky sob. i wish i could come across something like that.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Hey Juni that engine is perfect for New England weather. I'm just saying it's not going to have an abundance of power which will make winters very sucky even with snow tires on. I'd say go for it,whatever you don't use sell as parts and you'll make you money back and some..
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
Juni

whats more is that it only has 30K on the clock which makes it that much more attractive. Its like having a close to new car. That plus the 5 speed swap alone is worth more than $1500. And ever come the time that I want more power, I can always just build up a turbo kit on the 325 platform and get decent performance numbers, but i'm jumping ahead of myself.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

BUY BUY BUY!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
L84THSKY

The one thing I forgot about was that the engine is OBDI, and our cars are OBDII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni
whats more is that it only has 30K on the clock which makes it that much more attractive. Its like having a close to new car. That plus the 5 speed swap alone is worth more than $1500. And ever come the time that I want more power, I can always just build up a turbo kit on the 325 platform and get decent performance numbers, but i'm jumping ahead of myself.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

if Juni has the time and space, he could still easily sell off parts for more than $1500 and fund a swap or whatever he wants.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
dguzzardo22

if you dont buy id be really intrested
Old 03-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Juni

I also researched that the 325 motor is actually a preffered motor platform for forced induction. Thicker walls, thicker rods, non-vanos, etc. I'm gonna give the guy a call and I'll prolly end up getting it. So I should have a swap come summer time.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
halobeamin

yeah dude definitely that sounds good to me too

amaazzzzzzzzing!
halobeamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #13
aceyx

I'd be concerned about the OBD conversion, as well as legality. I think you're supposed to swap to same-year or newer motors, but I can't find a cite on that. Don't know if that's federal or state reg.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Juni

Well if thats the case, I can still use the 5 speed conversion and sell everything else and basically get my conversion for free.