318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
blowin 4

Default warm engine start problem.

Ok guys my 94 318 will start every morning fine . turn it on for 30 seconds shut it off restart's fine 4 0r 5 times . as soon as it warms up it wont restart unless i wait 5 minutes or hold the pedal open and crank it for 30 seconds i believe it's a bad crank sensor or coil pack . maybe even a bad dme relay any feed back will help crank shaft sensor on it's way hope that solves the problem. every thing else is new except for the coils . thanks
blowin 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I would think it is a relay. Crank sensor would most likely not screw up on a constant basis, also I don't think they stop working then start working. They usually die and never work again.

Might be a hard one to track down with a relay sticking or maybe it is in the tune. Maybe too much enrichment when the car is warm.

I had the same issue with my car when the DME temp sendor was not plugged in fully. It was telling the DME the car was ice cold so it always started fine when it was cold but after it warmed up it was 30 seconds of cranking with wide-open throttle to clear out the flooded motor from enrichment fuel. It never threw a code for some reason but Barrie found the temp sendor issue when looking at the values in INPA.

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I would think it is a relay. Crank sensor would most likely not screw up on a constant basis, also I don't think they stop working then start working. They usually die and never work again.

Might be a hard one to track down with a relay sticking or maybe it is in the tune. Maybe too much enrichment when the car is warm.

I had the same issue with my car when the DME temp sendor was not plugged in fully. It was telling the DME the car was ice cold so it always started fine when it was cold but after it warmed up it was 30 seconds of cranking with wide-open throttle to clear out the flooded motor from enrichment fuel. It never threw a code for some reason but Barrie found the temp sendor issue when looking at the values in INPA.

John S
. I think your right about the relay now I'm getting code 1211 bad ecu so I pulled the plug after worm up found the spark was very weak let it cool down had strong spark car fired right up ordering relay .
Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowin 4 View Post
. I think your right about the relay now I'm getting code 1211 bad ecu so I pulled the plug after worm up found the spark was very weak let it cool down had strong spark car fired right up ordering relay .
Sounds kinds odd and I hope that is the issue. You might be on a chase to find this issue, relays normally work or they don't. You should not get weak spark, either no spark or good spark.

Best of luck finding it, John S
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
blowin 4

Quote:
Sounds kinds odd and I hope that is the issue. You might be on a chase to find this issue, relays normally work or they don't. You should not get weak spark, either no spark or good spark.

Best of luck finding it, John S
lol i been chasing it for a month trying relay if that dont work should have my crank sensn today. if both dont work has to be my coils i bought them used from ebay who knows what they been thru!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
lol i been chasing it for a month trying relay if that dont work should have my crank sensn today. if both dont work has to be my coils i bought them used from ebay who knows what they been thru!!!!
I would like to say your unloader realy is not unloading and causing too much load and not enough power to your coils to start the motor when it is cranking. Just my thought since the unloader cuts all power except fuel, DME, spark and starter while cranking. If all other items are on like radio lights and all; there is too much draw to get the coils saturated for a good blue spark.

Opinon only

John S
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
blowin 4

i have a new sensor i even put the old one back tested both so far i have 15 hrs of tryin to get this car to tune at idle and not flood even straced the wires to the ecu pulled my injector rial cranked over car injectors shot gas like a rain fall i have to pull the fuel relay just to get it started ..it idles good not rich and if i go to the software shut down the injectors they still pulse at start up .when i install ware chip it will start 7 out of 10 times but will still flood but not as bad . barrie says i have a bad laptop cause i cant get trace to work and we both ttied reinstalling the software i give up putting it back to stock and see if that problem gos away..
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
i have a new sensor i even put the old one back tested both so far i have 15 hrs of tryin to get this car to tune at idle and not flood even straced the wires to the ecu pulled my injector rial cranked over car injectors shot gas like a rain fall i have to pull the fuel relay just to get it started ..it idles good not rich and if i go to the software shut down the injectors they still pulse at start up .when i install ware chip it will start 7 out of 10 times but will still flood but not as bad . barrie says i have a bad laptop cause i cant get trace to work and we both ttied reinstalling the software i give up putting it back to stock and see if that problem gos away..
Your laptop is most likely all jacked up with issues which I have problems doing remote work or logging when they are like this. If you need a clean one I can send one to you for a deposit and you pay shipping both ways. This Laptop will be fresh with only INPA, ELM-232 and other BMW diag tools on it including teamviewer. John S

Let me know

***Better yet take your lap top in and get it cleaned.Remove all bots, spyware,etc and have the registry fixed. Should cost less then $70if it is real jacked up. Would be cheaper then shipping mine and yours would be fixed. Computers need to be cleaned and invalid reg entries deleted about every 6 months sometimes sooner if you're surfing pron like I do daily. It's not a twinkie and will last for 20 years it needs to be serviced

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 04-21-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
blowin 4

Quote:
just put my stock injectors and afm car couldnt have ran any better .. im going to try in tune it with stock afm if it works good by maf ...my main problem it that theres no way to adjust start injector pulse ...car idles great pulls like crazy just that flood problem when hot.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
just put my stock injectors and afm car couldnt have ran any better .. im going to try in tune it with stock afm if it works good by maf ...my main problem it that theres no way to adjust start injector pulse ...car idles great pulls like crazy just that flood problem when hot.

That flood issue needs to be tuned out of your tune or you have a bad head temp sensor. It's that simple. Inpa or ELM will tell you if you have the temp sensor issue. If the sensor is good then you have a tune issue. I think it is the head temp sensor or wiring to the sensor. My opinon only, I think the tune is good since you have the same issue with Midnight and Miller, It's the head temp sensor

Can you read the temp off the sensor and see that it is reading correct coolant temps? Not off the gauge but to the DME, these are two separate curcuits.

You need zero enrichment when the car is hot...Maybe a pulse you would not be able to see

I bet if we put the Inpa or ELM on your car it would read -32 degrees at all times to the DME. My issue when I had hard start issues. Only found by Inpa, ELM would catch this too

Perfect start when cold, when hot crank and crank until it cleared the flood then it started...Bad head temp connection...Truth....Ask Barrie

John S

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 04-22-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
blowin 4

Quote:
That flood issue needs to be tuned out of your tune or you have a bad head temp sensor. It's that simple. Inpa or ELM will tell you if you have the temp sensor issue. If the sensor is good then you have a tune issue. I think it is the head temp sensor or wiring to the sensor. My opinon only, I think the tune is good since you have the same issue with Midnight and Miller, It's the head temp sensor

Can you read the temp off the sensor and see that it is reading correct coolant temps? Not off the gauge but to the DME, these are two separate curcuits.

You need zero enrichment when the car is hot...Maybe a pulse you would not be able to see

I bet if we put the Inpa or ELM on your car it would read -32 degrees at all times to the DME. My issue when I had hard start issues. Only found by Inpa, ELM would catch this too

Perfect start when cold, when hot crank and crank until it cleared the flood then it started...Bad head temp connection...Truth....Ask Barrie

John S
head temp is new 100% sure its the tune it start everytime with stock wouldnt this adjust my flood problem Barrie said i would never need to touch it once the a/f was dialed in . wouldn this tell my injector how much fuel to send at warm start or is it for cold start only?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #12
blowin 4

[QUOTE=blowin 4;298943]head temp is new 100% sure its the tune it start everytime with stock wouldnt this adjust my flood problem Barrie said i would never need to touch it once the a/f was dialed in . wouldn this tell my injector how much fuel to send at warm start or is it for cold start only?

wtf im so pissed right now !!!! i changed all the cells on the warm up cts and my flood problem from hell solved ... you know the ones Barrie said i wont need to ever touch hummm.... i just became a tuner lmfao thanks john for all the suport. 23 hrs and 80 bucks in gas hahahhahahah.
problem solved ..damn im good!!

Last edited by blowin 4; 04-22-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
bmwconnect

What the heck have you done to the CTS MAP?

You should never need to touch that map

Daniel you are all over the map, Literally LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
What the heck have you done to the CTS MAP?

You should never need to touch that map

Daniel you are all over the map, Literally LOL
lol that pic was from the first lap top that was jacked thats just a bad pic 2nd pic is i just scaled from 0 to 30
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #15
bmwconnect

Quote:
lol that pic was from the first lap top that was jacked thats just a bad pic 2nd pic is i just scaled from 0 to 30
Ok that makes more sense

good luck!