318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Classifieds > For Sale > US and North America > Cars for Sale

Notices

Cars for Sale Only fully running cars to be listed.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
iananderson02

Default FS: 1997 318ti M-Sport 5-Speed

Up for sale is my 1997 318ti M-Sport. I have owned and maintained the vehicle since 2006. I am a former BMW tech and I pay attention to details. This is a very solid car for the price.

I am selling the vehicle because I have recently purchased a BMW wagon and am not driving the car as much as I think it deserves to be driven. I truly do love this car.

The vehicle is in very good to excellent mechanical condition and needs very very little. This is not a neglected or project car with tons of undiscovered issues. The car is well sorted and fully maintained. All repairs have been performed correctly with Original BMW or OEM parts. This is an excellent car someone who needs an affordable and reliable daily driver. It would also be a good platform to start with for someone looking to build a custom / track car. I would not hesitate to drive this car anywhere in the country.

Here are the details:

Vehicle Information:

Year: 1997
Model: E36 318ti M-Sport
Engine: 1.9 4-Cyl (M44)
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Mileage: 178,734
Exterior Color: Artic Silver Metallic
Interior Color: Black/Gray with two cloth/leather seats and black headliner
Serial Number (last 7 of VIN): AS97731
Fitted Packages: M-Sport, Cold Weather (heated mirrors and washer jets, seats are not heated)

Other Details:

Engine:
  • The engine is original to the vehicle and has had no major mechanical repairs.
  • The oil has been changed every 4,000 miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic and Original BMW filters. The engine runs strong and quiet and does not burn oil.
  • The engine is completely free of oil leaks. The following gaskets have been changed:
  • oil filter housing gasket
  • oil pan gasket
  • valve cover gasket
  • rear main seal.
  • Full Inspection 2 service 20k miles ago including:
  • Spark plugs (BMW brand NGK plugs).
  • OEM plug wires
  • OEM fuel filter
  • OEM air filter
  • OEM cabin air filter
  • Coolant flush with proper blue BMW coolant
  • Brake fluid flush with ATE racing brake fluid
  • Transmission flushed with Redline D4 fluid
  • Differential flushed with Redline fluid as well
  • The exhaust does not have any detectable leaks and the rubber hangers are in good condition.

Transmission:
  • The vehicle is fitted with a manual transmission
  • The transmission shifts smooth with no grinding of the gears and no noticeable wear on the syncros
  • The transmission DOES NOT suffer from the very common shift fork issue that causes the transmission to pop out of gear.
  • The clutch pressure plate/disc/throw out bearing were replaced approx. 20k miles ago with a OEM Sachs clutch kit
  • All of the transmission seals were replaced when the clutch was replaced.
  • The transmission has been maintained with Redline D4 fluid every 30k miles.
  • The shifter is tight with no noticeable play.

Cooling System:
  • The radiator was recently replaced with an OEM Behr unit.
  • The thermostat was also replaced with an OEM unit
  • The coolant has always been flushed regularly with proper BMW coolant
  • The cooling system has been pressure tested and does not leak or otherwise lose pressure.

Suspension/Steering:
  • The car is fitted with the optional sport suspension which includes shorter stiffer springs than a typical 318ti
  • The shock absorbers have been replaced with Bilstein HD shocks. For those unfamiliar these are perhaps the highest quality shocks available.
  • All shock/strut mounts have been replaced and a Turner Motorsport Strut/Shock Mount and Reinforcement Kit has been installed. This kit reinforces both the front and rear shock mount areas of the vehicle’s body.
  • The front control arms have been replaced with Meyle HD units with solid balljoints.
  • The tie rods have been replaced with OEM Lemförder parts.
  • There is no play in any of the steering components.
  • The car handles very well with this spring/shock combination with no sacrifice in comfort.

Wheels/Tires:
  • The vehicle is fitted with stock 16” Style 18 wheels. The wheels have been sandblasted and repainted a dark metallic gray. There is no curb rash but there are a few very small chips in the finish.
  • The tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS size 225/50-16. There is approximately 50% tread life left.
  • The center caps (BMW logos) of the wheels have been replaced.

Brakes:
  • The car is fitted with “upgraded” vented brakes off the full size 3 series (325i sedan). This “upgrade” allows for better brake cooling and as such, more stopping power.
  • The calipers and rotors were replaced with new at the time of the brake upgrade.
  • The brake pads are Mintex pads with 50% life remaining.
  • The calipers and rotor hats have been painted black to prevent corrosion.
  • The rubber brake hoses have been replaced with DOT approved stainless lines.
  • I have always used ATE racing brake fluid (superblue and Typ-200). The brake fluid has been flushed once per year.

Body/Exterior:
  • The “M” badges on the door impact strip have been upgraded with the white “BMW Motorsport International” badges from an E36 M3 lightweight. I’m particularly fond of this rare item.
  • The vehicle has NO SUNROOF. This is an extremely rare option.
  • The rear windshield wiper was removed and the resulting hole was properly filled (welded). The vehicle looks much cleaner without the rear wiper.
  • The windows are tinted fairly dark. There are no major scratches or bubbles in the tint.
  • The original “lux” grille in the M3 front bumper has been replaced with the “black mesh” grille. I can include the “lux” grill if you’d prefer to switch back.
  • The vehicle is equipped with power windows, locks and factory BMW keyless entry+alarm with glass breaking sensor
  • The body is showing its age and has a few small paint chips and dings. Please keep in mind that this is a 17 year old car that has been driven.
  • There is no major rust, except on the right rear wheel arch. This is a typical spot that many 318ti vehicles are beginning to rust.
  • The hood Roundel emblem needs to be replaced.
  • The clear coat is peeling on most of the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood). Again this is a 17 year old car. The vehicle’s cosmetic condition is it’s weakest attribute. It its such a great car and it really does deserve new paint.

Interior:
  • The interior of the vehicle is in great shape, especially considering the age of the car.
  • The seats are the desirable Black/Gray “lux” sport seats with two tone cloth/leather seats. There are no rips in the seats, including the side bolsters.
  • The front seats are manual sport seats (non electric seats).
  • The rear seats fold down to create a ton of cargo room. This is the most practical car I’ve ever owned.
  • The headliner is black and is not sagging or otherwise damaged anywhere.
  • The carpet is clean. The BMW factory carpet floor mats are in excellent condition. The car also has a set of factory all weather rubber floor mats (front only). The rubber mats have ensured that the carpet mats have stayed in like new condition.
  • The parcel shelf is undamaged.
  • The interior door panels have been repaired (loose door panels are a common E36 issue) and all mounting clips have been replaced.
  • Overall interior condition is an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Known Issues: In the interest of full disclosure I have listed all know issues.
  • The right steering rack boot is ripped. This is a $10 part.
  • The A/C compressor is bad and as such the A/C does not work. The system held pressure last time I had it hooked it up to an A/C machine, this was several years ago though.
  • The catalytic converter heat shield is loose and occasionally rattles. The converter itself functions properly and does not throw any DTC’s so this is not a concern in my opinion me (no check engine lights).
  • The clear coat is peeling on most of the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood). Again this is a 17 year old car.
  • There is a small amount of rust on right rear wheel arch.
  • The hood Roundel emblem needs to be replaced.

As you can see I am a detail oriented person and I have cared for this vehicle to a high degree. This has been one of my favorite cars I’ve ever owned and will be truly sad to see it go.

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS CAN BE VIEWED HERE

1997 318ti sport
1972 2002 sleeper

Last edited by iananderson02; 05-30-2014 at 01:57 AM.
iananderson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
BMW_Hatchback

Looks clean, GLWS!
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
iananderson02

SOLD!

1997 318ti sport
1972 2002 sleeper
iananderson02 is offline   Reply With Quote